Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2367febe5ab8c1505e0853e5d8350992Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resistance X-Wing Build Group Planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (25)

(5)

User Registered Confirmed
kwinchellMon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 pm
AladdinMarkMon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 pm
ReeshiesPieciesMon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 pm
SiouxznTue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 am
VystLaaqTue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 am
clgeorgeTue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm
AquadraziTue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm
jpclaudeTue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm
tereshkova2001Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm
nbatternTue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm
JimWed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 am
vcaballeroWed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm
bilbowankenobisanThu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 pm
AlidoroThu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm
SpaceAceSat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm
ShokokuphoenixSat Sep 30, 2017 9:47 pm
CorivanSat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm
KayleesiMon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 pm
WilhelmMon Oct 02, 2017 8:04 pm
ScrappyMon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm
GregoryTue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 am
MallenphotoTue Oct 03, 2017 5:14 am
Baris_AlrisulTue Oct 03, 2017 1:43 pm
NightJediWed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 am
Star_NerdThu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 am
User Registered Confirmed
RedfireMon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 pmMon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm
Womp RatTue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm
jabbasdeadWed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 am
Master Vance HalenWed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 pm
Patient0x00Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am
Aquadrazi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook is good for me as well.

I'm going to dust off my sewing skills this weekend (it's been about a decade), but I like the idea of pooling fabric and I am more than willing to help those who need someone to sew their flight suits and vests.

This reminds me of doing costumes for High School summer musical theater. "Okay, today the 3 of us are making 12 baseball uniforms..." lol.
Womp Rat (Garrett Studhalter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwinchell wrote:
Womp Rat wrote:
Just an FYI as I'm sure people are noticing as they acquire certain aspects of this costume. Even doing things full self build with this group and only looking at material source costs my opinion is this project is going to run closer to 500$ easily. I've got things in a spreadsheet and am including tax and shipping considerations. I just want to let people have more accurate expectations.

If people order things individually and don't save on shipping costs, or acquire anything from vendors it could well exceed that estimate.

Can you post that spreadsheet on Google Drive so we can see it? Even with having to sub out some of the things we've had to buy elsewhere than originally intended (fabric, boots, etc.) I'm only coming to $333.

price tax shipping total
Boots 20 12
helmet 70
belt 32 5
roll pin buckle 15 3
webbing material 7 3
flight suit material 25
gloves 60 5
vest material 30
tubing 15 7
pistol 10
metal plates 5
helmet upgrades 15
holster 15
elastic webbing 5
dye 5
thread 5
code cylinder ?
leg harness 15
leg flares 10

359 32.31 35 426.31

Hopefully this is helpful, some of it was just estimated at what I think cost is. Things that are store bought include tax, and I've roughed out shipping for certain items as well. There are obviously areas where we can save in bulk and possibly get free/discounted shipping.
Alidoro ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Rook here, hopeless forum newbie)

I have to contribute: 5.7 yards of fabric, a portable serger with enough matching thread for a standard 4 thread overlock plus a little extra to share, and a set of high quality sewing scissors in 3 sizes.

I have sewing and patterning experience and am a fair hand with most arts and crafts type things with instruction.
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaller-footed pilots!

I found these boots, which are made by the original manufacturer and thus have the correct ribbing details.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GroundWork-Womens-Black-Mucker-Stable-Yard-Winter-Snow-Zip-Up-Boots-Wellies-/263223098800?var=&hash=item3d4951bdb0:m:mB7hh9oAZ_nL2UGNrwpI3cQ#rpdCntId

They say that shipping is free for all additional items. I'm going to order myself a pair in UK size 6 which should fit my US womens 8 feet. Does anyone else want in? Let me know by Thursday evening (9-28, around 9 pm PDT) and I'll order then.
nbattern ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook works fine for me, most of you have me on there already so just shoot me an invite if we figure out a group.

I'll look into ordering for myself and vcaballero this upcoming weekend.
Aquadrazi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a type of white polyester fabric to get for the vest? It seems like the 100% stuff is awfully stretchy.
Corivan (Melissa Nichols)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought out Joann's Tacoma for their Solar Cherry (approx. 5 yds). I'm willing to share. Pooling the fabric's a good idea. Smile

I will try to make as many of the build days as I can, but will have to leave early due to work in October. November is also iffy, as I'm going out of town towards the end of the month. I can do a lot of the soft build on my own once I have the pattern, but if anyone's willing, I may need to commission much of the hard parts since I will likely miss those build days.

For those days I am able to make it, I'm more than happy to help others with sewing & patterning. I'm not half bad with other types of arts & crafts, either.

Chris and Heather: I pm'd the both of you to add me to your respective lists.

I do also have some LEDs in red, green, yellow, & UV plus resistors that are free to use (likely enough for everyone). They're gathering dust otherwise.
clgeorge (Chris George)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chest box has been remodeled for a power supply and LED.

I tested a rebel stamp for the vest today using Speedball screen printing ink, and it worked out great. We don't need to buy this, as I have enough for everyone. I'm also building the "Pull To Inflate" stamp in Aurebesh.

Pooling fabric works for me. I picked up 4.5 yds.

bikerscout
Corivan (Melissa Nichols)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Boot Source Reply with quote

Found these made by the same company as the ones Torry found. The bottom part of the boot is the same, only the top is different (which will be hidden by the jumpsuit).

Total after shipping was $34.39.

http://www.thechefskorner.com/groundwork-new-ladies-horse-riding-yard-showerproof-stable-walking-rain-snow-winter-ski-warm-farm-mucker-boots-black-womens-shoesgroundwork-paint-potpremier-fashion-designer-p-723.html
VystLaaq ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwinchell wrote:
Question: Does everyone have Facebook? I don't think we want to be posting hosts' addresses publicly on this forum, and Mark suggested making a closed Facebook group where we can post addresses and other logistics that aren't actually related to the costume itself. I still want to keep everything about the costumes on this public forum so other bases can use this as reference.

Facebook is good for me. Feel free to add me to any groups related to this.

Alpha Squadron Commanding Officer
Captain Senga "Midnight" Daybreaker

Jet City Saber Guild ID SG-392
Vyst Laaq, Jedi Knight
Siouxzn (Susan)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for delay in posting pricing.. these are prices I found based on Chris's list. I went into Home depot yesterday (in case the online store had different stock showing) and could only find a few of the Rust-Oleum items.. We will have to get the majority through Amazon, unless we match colors elsewhere.

The primers were:
Dupli-Color automotive Grey filler primer, $47.99 (6 pack Spray can, Amazon), or $13.71 for one spray can at Walmart
Rust-Oleum High Heat Gray Primer, $9.57 (Spray Can, Amazon)

The paints:
Valspar Gloss Azure Snow - &4.98 (Spray Can, Lowes)
Rust-Oleum Anodized Bronze - $3.98 (Spray can, Home Depot or Amazon)
Rust-Oleum Smoke Grey - $8.46 (1 Qt, Amazon)
Krylon Semi-gloss white - $4.55 (Spray Can, Amazon)
Krylon Cover Maxx Aluminum/Metallic K09193000 $14.12 (Spray Can, Amazon)
Apple Barrel Pool Blue acrylic paint (mixed down with a bit of white acrylic) $8.50 (8 oz bottle, Amazon)

The weathering was with Citadel’s Shade Nuln Oil - $8.48 (0.8 oz jar, Amazon)
VystLaaq ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if this is a rookie faux pas, but would it be possible to break this up into smaller threads of related information? There are so many posts, and I'm missing things. A thread of prices and bulk orders, a thread for the schedule, etc. would make it a lot easier to find things instead of scrolling through 6 pages of posts.
If not, that's cool. I just figured I'm possibly not the only person feeling buried under all the posts and having trouble finding things.

Vyst Laaq, Jedi Knight
AladdinMark ()
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VystLaaq wrote:
Sorry if this is a rookie faux pas, but would it be possible to break this up into smaller threads of related information? There are so many posts, and I'm missing things. A thread of prices and bulk orders, a thread for the schedule, etc. would make it a lot easier to find things instead of scrolling through 6 pages of posts.
If not, that's cool. I just figured I'm possibly not the only person feeling buried under all the posts and having trouble finding things.

We will soon make a facebook group that will hopefully help with this. Important info will still need to on the forum so that others may follow along and use this as a resource but the FB group will be aimed at easier communication, direct answering of specific questions and build location planning.
VystLaaq ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I just know I'm missing things. If someone hadn't just told me in a totally separate conversation, I'd have had no idea the first post had been edited to include a schedule.
I've sent someone money for fabric, and I've got the helmets dealt with, but I'm afraid I'm going to show up without knowing I was supposed to have sent money somewhere for something, or have purchased something on my own, because that was in a post that got buried somewhere in here.

Vyst Laaq, Jedi Knight
AladdinMark ()
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VystLaaq wrote:
Cool. I just know I'm missing things. If someone hadn't just told me in a totally separate conversation, I'd have had no idea the first post had been edited to include a schedule.
I've sent someone money for fabric, and I've got the helmets dealt with, but I'm afraid I'm going to show up without knowing I was supposed to have sent money somewhere for something, or have purchased something on my own, because that was in a post that got buried somewhere in here.

No worries. I know the feeling. It was me that you sent money for fabric. The fabric arrived yesterday. It will be available at the first build day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: