Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c62f7f5c7d0fd8dc3c8a00889a32d38aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Resistance X-Wing Build Group Planning
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Registration
 (25)

(5)

User Registered Confirmed
kwinchellMon Sep 18, 2017 10:40 pm
AladdinMarkMon Sep 18, 2017 11:11 pm
ReeshiesPieciesMon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 pm
SiouxznTue Sep 19, 2017 3:00 am
VystLaaqTue Sep 19, 2017 3:17 am
clgeorgeTue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm
AquadraziTue Sep 19, 2017 4:02 pm
jpclaudeTue Sep 19, 2017 4:33 pm
tereshkova2001Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:12 pm
nbatternTue Sep 19, 2017 5:58 pm
JimWed Sep 20, 2017 3:12 am
vcaballeroWed Sep 20, 2017 8:04 pm
bilbowankenobisanThu Sep 21, 2017 7:52 pm
AlidoroThu Sep 21, 2017 11:45 pm
SpaceAceSat Sep 30, 2017 9:36 pm
ShokokuphoenixSat Sep 30, 2017 9:47 pm
CorivanSat Sep 30, 2017 9:50 pm
KayleesiMon Oct 02, 2017 6:47 pm
WilhelmMon Oct 02, 2017 8:04 pm
ScrappyMon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm
GregoryTue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 am
MallenphotoTue Oct 03, 2017 5:14 am
Baris_AlrisulTue Oct 03, 2017 1:43 pm
NightJediWed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 am
Star_NerdThu Oct 05, 2017 2:01 am
User Registered Confirmed
RedfireMon Sep 18, 2017 10:57 pmMon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm
Womp RatTue Sep 19, 2017 7:53 pm
jabbasdeadWed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 am
Master Vance HalenWed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 pm
Patient0x00Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:25 am
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, does the belt seem to be natural or synthetic material? Either can be dyed, it's just a question of what type of dye and what conditions to use. I'll bring stuff to test to the first build day and we can see how it goes. Apparently some people are painting their belts, so that is an option if dye fails.

Joann's in Shoreline had approximately six yards of Solar Cherry, which is now in my washing machine. Their warehouse has 500 yards of it. The lady at the cutting counter said that the online store has a separate inventory from the physical stores, and therefore we'll have to special order in-person. I can do that once we get a final-ish count.
VystLaaq ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 am    Post subject: Helmets! Reply with quote

Just because I'm noticing lots more people committing, please let me know, if you haven't already, if you want me to order a helmet for you. As it stands right now, the ones that I have on order are spoken for. I can order more, and will do so once I get more orders. The cost per helmet is $70 + tax.

Alpha Squadron Commanding Officer
Captain Senga "Midnight" Daybreaker

Jet City Saber Guild ID SG-392
Vyst Laaq, Jedi Knight
AladdinMark ()
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok everyone, I found solution for the boots. I asked a legion judge to take a look and the answer is that these should be just fine. Please note: specific pilots such as Snap Wexley or Nien Nunb wear different boots but I believe all of us here are doing generic pilots. Here is the link

https://m.ebay.com/itm/221584517518?varId=520443561359&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&_mwBanner=1
AladdinMark ()
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather, for the helmets, when would you need to collect the money for those? I'll need to order 2 but might have to wait till the 1st
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heather I am in for a helmet and can send you money any time. The idea of designing and executing a paint job terrifies me, but that's why we do it as a group. Pilot

Mark, did you happen to find anything that goes down smaller at all? I wear an 8 or 8.5 womens shoe which is usually a 6 mens.
GTR2-D2 (Danny Chen)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How am I not on the committed list? I'm so commited I'm crossing state lines. Also, discovered RIT synthetic fiber dye. The sleeve ribbing was done tonight and will do the belt when it gets here next week.
Aquadrazi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the boot solution Mark posted I wouldn't wait too long to order. Arrival date listed right now is from mid-October to mid-November timeframe.
Jim ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered my boots! Hurrah! Getting my cherry red fabric tonight.

For new sewers, Sodo location of Pacific Fabrics is having a 2 night intro to sewing class for $30, Oct 17 and 18... perfect timing, before we start to sew that very following weekend. I signed up so I have some minimum knowledge ahead of our building.

http://www.pacificfabrics.com/module/class.htm?classId=171865
Womp Rat (Garrett Studhalter)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI as I'm sure people are noticing as they acquire certain aspects of this costume. Even doing things full self build with this group and only looking at material source costs my opinion is this project is going to run closer to 500$ easily. I've got things in a spreadsheet and am including tax and shipping considerations. I just want to let people have more accurate expectations.

If people order things individually and don't save on shipping costs, or acquire anything from vendors it could well exceed that estimate.
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Womp Rat wrote:
Just an FYI as I'm sure people are noticing as they acquire certain aspects of this costume. Even doing things full self build with this group and only looking at material source costs my opinion is this project is going to run closer to 500$ easily. I've got things in a spreadsheet and am including tax and shipping considerations. I just want to let people have more accurate expectations.

If people order things individually and don't save on shipping costs, or acquire anything from vendors it could well exceed that estimate.

Can you post that spreadsheet on Google Drive so we can see it? Even with having to sub out some of the things we've had to buy elsewhere than originally intended (fabric, boots, etc.) I'm only coming to $333.
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tereshkova2001 wrote:
Joann's in Shoreline had approximately six yards of Solar Cherry, which is now in my washing machine. Their warehouse has 500 yards of it. The lady at the cutting counter said that the online store has a separate inventory from the physical stores, and therefore we'll have to special order in-person. I can do that once we get a final-ish count.

How'd it do in the washing machine? I bought some today and noticed it said to spot clean it.
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clgeorge wrote:
I found a source for aaa battery boxes w/ switch, and I have 3mm LEDS that will work for the chest boxes.

Can you link me that source? I want to add it to the price estimate.
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main post has been updated. If I missed something (especially someone volunteering for something) let me know!
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric came out just fine in the wash. It's a little softer, as expected once the sizing washed out, and the color is great. I'm certainly going to wash my finished flight suit after sweaty troops. There was a bit of loose orange thread in the rest of the laundry, so I recommend finishing the seam edges with serging or overlock or something to stop fraying.

I forgot to mention that I also picked up a couple spools of poly thread that are a fantastic color match to the cherry. One is for my machine (which I will bring to build days) and one is for sharesies.

Re gloves: they are not motorcycle gloves, they are police riot gloves. I'll keep looking, but the original manufacturer doesn't sell them anymore. We could buy OEM short gloves with the correct finger and hand padding and then add the gauntlet cuff with the padding strips. I honestly think that would end up being very close to the cost of just buying the WampaWear ones.
clgeorge (Chris George)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwinchell wrote:
clgeorge wrote:
I found a source for aaa battery boxes w/ switch, and I have 3mm LEDS that will work for the chest boxes.

Can you link me that source? I want to add it to the price estimate.

Bulk buy on Amazon!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KFCPHNW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I5LV2PKAR9OAO&colid=27H2CTH63MBHI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: