About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=db745653318460264499087c129ac0f8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Where did you buy your RFT helmet?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unfated (Jason York)
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Where did you buy your RFT helmet? Reply with quote

I just want to know where you guys bought your helmets.
I have been to tk560's site and his look ok, but I want to
get some feedback about yours.

Thank you,
Jason
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from Jim too (TK560).

Having seen the other helmets around, I have a personal preference for his.

The 'swoop' looks right, not too small like some other helmets Ive seen and the build is great. Jim is also a top bloke. Cool

Rebel Legion Council Emeritus : Base Command Liaison Officer - 2007/08
Rebel Legion UK Emeritus : Commanding Officer - 2005 to 2009
GhostRider01 (Luis Alejandro Mendoza)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i buy the same helmet and is a great pucharse great material, easy instruccions y possibility of customize
Reaper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a studio creations helmet witht he reversible visor, Used to have an altmans.
Jedi Loreen (Lori Procopio)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Jim2's helmet as well. It seems to be proportioned right.

Jim has taken very good care of us at Sunrider Base for our various Group Costuming projects, especially our Endor Commando project.

Studio Creations look nice too.

I never cared for the look of the Altman's helmet, the swoop is too narrow at the end.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got TK's. It rocks! Love it.

I was nervous about trimming, assembling... that sort of thing never been my strong suit, (hence why Rebel Legion and not a plasticboy). But the design and the ease of assembly made it easy for a noob crafter like me.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
unfated (Jason York)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a completed one from TK. I hope I get it sooner then two weeks.
Archived Member Profile

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I can post some critisism..... Jim's helmet kits are allright but the assembly is not so good sometimes. I'm a sucker for details and I like my helmets shiny and neatly cut out with no real rough edges and stuff.

I assembled about 5 helmets I bought from Jim and need to do two more. People seem to like my paintjob and assembly for some strange reason. It started out for my own base members but now I'm building helmets for The Netherlands and Germany also.

DT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Robeewankenobi (Robert Estrada)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got Jimbo's and hats off to him!
My thinking is....If it's good enough for George then it's good enough for me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dark Trooper ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parts are great but I prefer to do the assembly myself. Did you do your own assembly ?

DT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Darth Lars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My helmet is a jumble... Started out as a ABS kit from Richies Armor where the swoop was too small. It looked ridiculous.
I replaced the swoop with a larger one from TK-560. However, the sides on the swoop curve inwards which I think is inaccurate. It is also made from styrene, so you need to paint it to prevent it from yellowing.

I think StudioCreations' helmet is the best one right now. It is the most accurate overall, has a tinted visor and the helmet is ABS, which is more durable and looks good.
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone that has Jim's helmet kit - how easy is it to put together? Most people here are saying it's easy, but is it really THAT easy? Keep in mind that this is coming from the guy who superglued himself to an X-Wing helmet several times during assembly...including twice while wearing it. Embarassed

I assume there's a handy dandy instruction sheet with the kit...can anyone show me a copy of it?

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I'm thinking about picking one up, and I just want to make sure I'm not going to make a mess of it.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
Dark Trooper ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For each helmet construction you need to be a little bit of a handy man. If you have two left hands even Jim's helmet kits are not that easy to assemble. First one is the hardest. I have doen about 7 of them and I can almost do it with my eyes closed.

The hardest part for me is to paint them. This has to be perfect. If the piece does not turn out right I redo the whole thing. Remove the paint and start from scratch.

Jim supplies the helmet kits with a small tutorial. I must say I did not use that one but only used reference pictures from the internet to do the assembly. I also have less holes drilled in the helmet to construct it than the tutorial says. Anyways, you must build it to your own likings. The parts are OK so just put it together the way you like it.

DT
LizardJedi (Liz Hyde)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RFT is a lot easier than the X-Wing, Ed. There auctally isn't any glue involved (excluding whatever you use inside for a liner)

Just a bunch of cutting, sanding, drill a couple holes, put in a couple screws, and some paint (even if you keep it white, it would still be good to paint it so the styrene dosn't turn yellow on you)

The opposite of War isn't Peace, its Creation
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JimE2 ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks eveyone for the feedback regarding the RFT kits! Here is a tutorial that might help illustrate the assembly process:

http://www.tk560.com/RFTHelmetBuilding.html

And a PDF copy of the assembly instructions is included in that link.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: