Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=92fbe60979977a9ec8d0785c6a6720c7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

X-Wing Build Group Pre-Planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which X-Wing Costume Should Be Our Focus?
I'm only interested in Sequel Trilogy style.
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
I'm indifferent to which one, I'd be excited to do either!
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
I'm only interested in Original Trilogy style.
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Users Voted : 9
Total Votes : 9
This poll has expired.
Undo Votes

kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: X-Wing Build Group Pre-Planning Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

There has been discussion of expanding our costume workshops past the usual focus on Jedi. The majority of interest seems to be in pilots, so now the next step is deciding how much we want to focus on one pilot type over another. X-Wings seem to be the most popular, but do we want to go with the OT or TFA style?

Here's my pro/con list, feel free to comment with more:

Original Trilogy Style

Pros
-Nostalgia factor
-People have been making these for decades, the parts are easily accessible to purchase ready made
-We have people in Alpha Base who already have these approved who could help mentor new pilots in their costume creation.

Cons
-Since they are more accessible, it is easier for people to make these by themselves rather than needing a group

Sequel Trilogy Style

Pros
-We could easily have this done by December and have a whole Squadron for The Last Jedi premiere and the surrounding events, which would be AWESOME
-The recently released Black Series helmets are available to us for $70 and can be modified to be approvable.
-We currently have none of this style since it is harder to make, having a support group to help make them would make it easier.
-Danny Chen from Kashyyyk Base who has made one and is currently working on two more is willing to come up to help us with this as needed.

Cons
-Since this is a newer costume some parts may be harder to source and may be more expensive.
-No one locally has gotten this approved yet, harder to ask for in-person help.

As you can see, some of the pros are also cons.

Here's my idea for how we set up this Build Group:

Cost
I personally am of the mindset of "build everything you can for as little money as possible while still being screen accurate." I know not everyone is that way. Before materials are purchased everyone will have to decide which pieces they want to buy, and which they want to make. Things that definitely need to be bought mostly assembled are boots, gloves, and a helmet. Everything else can be made if you're willing to put the time in. The flight suit is probably 3-4 yards per person. There will be additional materials (fabric, wood, fiberglass resin, webbing, etc.) needing to be purchased for the vest, straps, flares, chest boxes, etc. Donation of common items like zippers, thread, and use of sewing machines and sergers would be greatly appreciated. We may also need some help in 3D printing and lathing. I can lathe the flares out of wood. We may need things like buckles or helmet microphones 3D printed if someone has a printer we can use. You'll be compensated for materials.

Distribution of Labor
Most of the work will be done in groups over the course of about 7 sessions. Some "homework" of finishing things up after group workshops is to be expected. If you end up missing meetings you can either ask some people to share your work among them or get notes of what you missed to DIY at home.

Not everyone is comfortable with every skill needed for completing this project. That's why the rest of this group is here! Once we decide between OT or TFA style, I would like to go through the standards and have at least one person volunteer to lead the creation of that item (or hunting down the cheapest source for things like boots and gloves). Those people will be doing the majority of research and planning for that item. Those not leading a piece are encouraged to attach themselves to someone who is to help out and learn whatever skill they are using.

Timeline

-Mid September: Idea Proposed, decide TFA or OT via poll by 9/18

-Late September: Get commitments from people, order materials, set build dates (Sundays usually seem the most open?)

-Early October: Build Session 1 (i.e. sizing, patterning, pinning, and cutting flightsuits)

-Mid October: Build Session 2 (i.e. sewing for flightsuits)

-Late October: Build Session 3 (i.e. flight vest cutting & sewing)

-Early November: Build Session 4 (i.e. soft parts wrap up & troubleshooting)

-Mid November: Build Session 5 (i.e. chest boxes + hoses)

-Late November: Build Session 6 (i.e. webbing + helmet modification)

-Early December: Build Session 7 (i.e. final assembly and submission photos) All costumes sent in for approval so we have a chance of getting them all approved before the premiere in mid-December.

Feel free to add any suggestions, and comment on the pros/cons of original vs. sequel trilogy X-Wing pilot costumes. This thread is in the "public" area of the forum so future members can read, comment, and vote on it as well.
AladdinMark ()
Alpha Base CO
Alpha Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One idea we could look into is to start things off with an intense build weekend. We get Danny Chen and perhaps a few others up here from Kashyyk Base to guide us and we spend a full weekend doing as much as we possibly can. This gives us a jump start on the outfits and possibly lightens the load leading to December. Those who can't make it, or can't be there for the full weekends shouldn't worry. They will be able to catch up with the help of those who are further along in their build thanks to the build weekend. Perhaps we could also add one more intensive weekend towards the end of the build, maybe mid November.
Star_Nerd (Hannah Lovett)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested. A group build would be a new experience for me and it sounds fun.
Redfire ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question; what city will we be meeting up in?
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redfire wrote:

It will probably end up being in a variety of places along the I-5 corridor because different people have different equipment and space available. We'll probably be in a different place for sewing than we are for painting. We most likely won't go South of Seattle or North of Arlington. We already have an offer for Mill Creek, and I believe we have one for Edmonds/Shoreline as well.
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am intrigued but am not willing to commit yet. I do like pilots though.
Redfire ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kwinchell wrote:
Redfire wrote:

It will probably end up being in a variety of places along the I-5 corridor because different people have different equipment and space available. We'll probably be in a different place for sewing than we are for painting. We most likely won't go South of Seattle or North of Arlington. We already have an offer for Mill Creek, and I believe we have one for Edmonds/Shoreline as well.

Fantastic, and is there a sign up sheet somewhere, or does posting here count as proof of intrest?
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be once the poll closes at about 3:00 PM today (forum runs on a different timezone than us, hence the delay) and we formally decide if we're doing classic or sequel style.
kwinchell ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This poll is now closed with Resistance/TFA/Sequel style as the winner. Future discussion will occur on this thread: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=964733
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Alpha Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: