Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bd8035a6252d96094c2261bc4b9f698bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kyle Katarn Lightsabers (Dark Forces II and Jedi Outcast)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Kyle Katarn Lightsabers (Dark Forces II and Jedi Outcast) Reply with quote

Thought I'd share a couple of the sabers from my collection. One of them is a Kyberlight that I've modded, and the other is a "Bane" model Ultrasaber, customized for color changing.

Kyle Katarn/Qu Rahn Saber:

As I mentioned, this is a Kyberlight kit saber that I utilized a combination of repainting, sanding, and custom parts making in order to make it more like Kyle's first Lightsaber in Dark Forces II, left for him by Rahn. In the initial kit, I received a an emitter accessory that featured four prongs that extended outward. I cut those prongs off, and used a grinder to sand down the edge so it would simply be a cylindrical ring to make the emitter more like Kyle's. I then took some paper-thin copper sheeting, sanded it to emphasize the metallic finish, and inserted it underneath the emitter, which held the copper in place. I then took the original grip accessory, repainted it, and affixed it to the saber hilt higher up than originally intended, holding it in place using a combination of pressure from overlapping with the copper sheeting, as well as bracing it with one of the screws that came with the kit. All the upper saber parts still leave all three fixing screws accessible, so I can still attach the blade for dueling purposes. For the base of the saber, I simply removed the pommel, as Kyle's saber's pommel doesn't resemble any that are sold by Kyberlight, and made a rubber plug that conforms to the shape of the inside, which holds the speaker in place firmly. I put a hole in the center of the plug to allow sound to escape freely from the speaker, and this ended up making the saber louder, as there was no pommel filtering it any longer. This additionally made the saber itself much lighter. Finally, using the fixing screw originally intended to secure the covertec wheel, I removed the wheel, and instead attached a D-clip, on top of two washers (to prevent the screw from burrowing into the battery pack inside). The result perfectly snugs the d-clip to the side of the hilt, and makes it possible to hang the saber from a belt hook, as they did in the OT and EU before the prequels were made. Obviously its still a work in progress, but I love it, and it works great for my costume. I still want to add the black mid-hilt portion, just above the grip, as well as the bracket that runs the length of the hilt, and the black pommel from the game.

"The Krayt Dragon":

This was an Ultrasaber that I purchased a few years ago from Megacon in Orlando. Originally I bought it as a stunt saber, upgraded to include the color-changing feature, both because I didn't want to be stuck with only one color (green is my favorite, but I like to change it up on occasion), and because the extra buttons increased the length of the hilt. I later had it upgraded for the Obsidian sound as well. My goal for this purchase was to both choose a saber hilt style that suited my actual swordfighting ability (I'm tall, and have long arms, so superior reach is good for me), as well as emulate the style of saber hilt that Kyle Katarn utilized in Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, which was an extra long hilt with a blue blade. Essentially, Kyle's style is the "bastard sword" of Lightsabers, haha. The only personal modifications I made to the saber were to modify the covertec wheel to hang from a belt hook, rather than utilizing the covertec clip. I chose this because A. I prefer the belt hook to the covertecs, and B. New Jedi Order era sabers were frequently shown to clip to belts the same way that OT Lightsabers did, so I figured it would be more appropriate for the costumes I do. I also use it for an OC costume I put together, named Davin Creel.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: