Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f3a6643beae399c257ffd9de01f48bf3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Peasant Padme Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesley and I had our planned sewing day yesterday and got a lot of work done on this build. Amadalia

The day before we met up, I hit JoAnn's for some essentials we needed. I was hoping to find a decent pattern that I could modify (if needed) that would work for both the outer tunic and the inner tunic and I found one!

I used B for the outer tunic and E for the inner. There is some slight modification needed to both pieces but it was perfect for what I needed it for. I also picked up a beautiful linen for the brown portion of the belt and the cheesecloth that Jenna recommended. The Butterick pattern ended up being $1.67 and I was super happy with the price.

Lesley ended up using this as a base pattern for her tunic and also made a few modifications to match her form as well.

For you beginning seamstresses out there, I highly recommend the one I purchased! Only 2 pieces for the outer tunic and 3 pieces for the inner. Lesley suggested we make the patterns first out of muslin and then cut the actual fabric and it was a great idea. I am relatively tall at 5'8" so I needed to add length to the outer tunic to match Padme's. I added an additional 3 inches to my top to make it the correct length. For the sleeves, I took the base pattern for the sleeve and extended the length to 31 inches to allow for seam allowance and the "poofing" at the wrist and above the arm wraps. This ended up working out perfectly!

Once we had the muslin on, we made additional changes needed. Lesley wanted to add a bit more hip room and adjusted for that. I needed to lower the outer tunic neckline and made that adjustment as well.

Once we had the patterns finalized, we set to work cutting out from the actual fabric. The fabric we used is beyond stunning and I am in love with the color and the texture. The outer tunic fabric is simply gorgeous and I loved working with it. Lesley was kind enough to let me use her serger to work on these pieces and I loved it! Such a great machine and perfect for what we were using it for.

Once the tops were somewhat sewn together, we tried them on with the arm wraps to check blousing etc. The plan is to add a bit of elastic to the ends of the blue top so that it will blouse better and stay in the shape we want.

We used cotton gauze and ripped it into strips for the arm wrap portion and that worked great!

Once the tunics were pretty much done (some additional handstitching is required before they are completely done), we set to work figuring out the belt. It would appear that Padme's belt actually is a tie and not a regular belt. Is that correct? We made the belt areas longer to allow for this but didn't finish them. We wanted confirmation before proceeding further.

Going on the premise that the belt is more of a sash, we lengthened the fabric and cut the pieces needed. This will also need hand sewing so once that was done, we called it a day.

One final try on of the pieces was done before we cleaned. I am really happy with how this is coming together and cannot wait to finish it!

In progress/planning: Hoth Leia, Nomi Sunrider, Clone Wars Padme Amidala
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking great guys!

As best as I can tell, the brown part of the belt and the under layer of blue just go around your waist once. The top narrower layer of blue on the belt is longer and ties at the hip.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
This is looking great guys!

As best as I can tell, the brown part of the belt and the under layer of blue just go around your waist once. The top narrower layer of blue on the belt is longer and ties at the hip.

Thanks, Jenna! We weren't positive so that helps to confirm what we need to continue the belt build.

I had some spare time today so finished the edging on the outer tunic. It looks so good with it added. There are lot of minute details I missed when I was first researching this costume. I am so glad that Lesley is building it with me and helping me see what I missed.

I hand stitched the collar and underarm area and it looks so nice! I'll be finishing the collar portion of the blue tunic tonight and then start work on the belt. This is so close to being finished I can taste it.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More done on this build in the last few days. I finished lining the outer tunic and hand stitching the inner collar portions to both the inner and outer tunic.

I did a quick "hangar try on" with the finished tops and it looks great!

The weight of the brooch is making it droop when it is attached so I am adding an additional pin backing to it to give it a more sturdy hold and look.

The belt was the next step.
I have been using this photo as my primary reference in terms of putting mine together.

Taking the strips that Lesley and I had pre-cut, I sewed an invisible back seam to help keep the belts together.

Once that was finished, I tried it on with the inner blue portion as well. It is definitely headed in the direction I need. I will make sure to remove that seam that is showing in this shot. Since it was just a try on for look, I now know I need to adjust so it is straight all the way through.
Smile

I conferred with Lesley on the brown portion detailing. She suggested using a satin stitch to get the look we want. I already have fabric paint to mimic the pinwheels on the belt and plan on finishing this up tonight. Super excited to wear everything together. It's been a fun build and I can see the finish line!

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the belt this morning and I am very pleased with it! I wasn't sure if I could get it done in my time frame but luckily, I had several free nights this week and that gave me the time it took to take care of a lot of the hand sewing needed.

Last night I finished up the blue tunic by adding elastic to the wrists. Once it was done, it gave me the poof to the sleeve that I needed and fit much better.

I also finished up the belt by adding the embroidery portion and the pinwheels. That was actually fun. Since we never really see Padme's belt without the middle blue portion, I decided to do an almost diamond shape to give me the look needed.

I didn't close the diamond but stitched diagonal lines that look kind of a like an "X" without being completely closed. I spaced them out as best I could based on photo images and then added the pinwheels. Lastly, I tied the inner blue portion to the belt and it was done!

Here is a shot of the belt prior to my adding the pinwheels paired with the top and tunic and brooch.

I realized after the fact that the thread I used to embroider was lighter than the linen I was using so I solved that problem by using some leftover light brown leather dye that I had from when I was making my gloves for Jyn Erso. It actually ended up being perfect as it matched the brown fabric perfectly! I may give it another coat tonight just to be safe but it definitely matches. It's hard to see it sometimes with camera flash etc but here is the belt with the pinwheels added and the dye added to the thread.

I finished the loose ends this morning on the belt and took a few shots of it, minus the brooch.

I'm hoping to try everything on this weekend and see how everything fits and looks. Very Happy

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a chance to finish up this costume build and submit and was approved. I love this costume so much. It's always been a favorite of mine and I'm so glad I get to wear it now. It will definitely come in handy for the cooler months as the upper portion of the costume is primarily wool.

Here is a closeup of the finished costume.

I also redid the hairstyle and added extensions to give me the proper length and I am glad I did. Looks a lot better with the added fullness.

Christian4ever ()

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow what a beautiful cosplay! You have blessed skills for sure! Prayerfully, God willing, I would to attempt to make my own version as well, but I have been trying to find the exact type of fabric used for the blue shirt. Itís very difficult so far to locate anything thatís got the same look. Do you happen to know what itís called or anything similar in texture/design I might could try? Thank you and congratulations again on ur beautiful outfit! God bless
John 3:16
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian4ever wrote:
Wow what a beautiful cosplay! You have blessed skills for sure! Prayerfully, God willing, I would to attempt to make my own version as well, but I have been trying to find the exact type of fabric used for the blue shirt. Itís very difficult so far to locate anything thatís got the same look. Do you happen to know what itís called or anything similar in texture/design I might could try? Thank you and congratulations again on ur beautiful outfit! God bless

Thank you so much for your kind words! Both of the fabrics that we used for the top and tunic are different types of wool. I do know that several members have used a gauze type material for their costumes and used 2 layers to line it and get the same look. You might be able to find something similar online. Good luck on your build! Itís a beautiful costume.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys look great!

For my blue fabric on the belt, I actually used cheese cloth from the grocery store and dyed it blue, which is a pretty close texture to the original.

You guys don't happen to have any extra vest material left over, do you? I've been trying to find something like that to redo my vest for years.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
You guys look great!

You guys don't happen to have any extra vest material left over, do you? I've been trying to find something like that to redo my vest for years.

Thank you, Jenna! I really love your costume and appreciated all your help on this build. Unfortunately, there was just enough fabric for both Leslie and I to get ours put together. However, Lisa and I will be in the fabric district tomorrow and I'll keep an eye out for you. If I see anything, we will let you know! Mr. Green

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! You guys have access to such a great fabric shopping resource there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: