Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=eaf357dfe079b4eda39f50d19021143eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Peasant Padme Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Tatooine Peasant Padme Build Reply with quote

I'm slowly knocking off the costumes I really want and this is next in line. Smile

I've been reviewing the standards and checking on what other people have done and also going over screencaps. I think I have a pretty good idea of what is needed and am ready to begin.

First, the pants. Standards say "Loose-fitting pants in a dark, muted plum/purple crinkled, homespun matte fabric. The lower legs are also wrapped in raw-edged strips of a dark, muted plum/purple homespun matte fabric. "

I started searching on Amazon for pants that would fit and found a few. I really like this pair as its cheap, has the crinkle that is needed and is the proper length. Because it's rayon, I can easily purchase more locally and dye everything together to match the plum color needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YWNPJU2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I realize its a bit sheer but that will be fixed somewhat with dyeing the fabric and I can also line it if needed. Can I get input on this before I purchase?

The material for the tunic and shirt are also ready to go. We have a beautiful blue homespun fabric that looks great and also a heathered gray fabric.

I'm also thinking cotton gauze from JoAnn's for the wraps around the sleeves. They sell a light gray one that can be dyed easily.

Any thoughts on fabric or color before I proceed from this step would be appreciated. Mr. Green

In progress/planning: Marvel Comics Leia, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Alderaan Base XO
Alderaan Base XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so into the texture but the blue looks too vibrant to me- you could probably dye it a bit though?

Rebel Legion Costume Judge: Royalty/Senatorial, Alliance Officers (06/2017-present)
Executive Officer, Alderaan Base (2017-present)
Membership Officer, Alderaan Base (05/2016-10/2017)

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge

Photos by Robbins Studios
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:
I'm so into the texture but the blue looks too vibrant to me- you could probably dye it a bit though?

Yep! Definitely gonna do an overdye on both fabrics to bring it to the correct color. However, the texture was what we were going for and that's what I was worried about.

In progress/planning: Marvel Comics Leia, Endor Leia, Tatooine Poncho Padme & Flame Handmaiden Padme
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep the texture of this fabric is really gorgeous looking ! Smile
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update. I am doing this build with another RL member and it was agreed that I would purchase and start work on the belt sections.

I stopped by JoAnn's and found the following items that I believe will work great.

This was what I used as a reference when shopping.

This is a 2 inch button which I loved because it has the brown shade and once spray painted, it will have the undertone that Padme's has.

I also liked it because it has the opening where I can add clay and glue it in place without much difficulty. I purchased Sculpy in orange because Padme's has an orange tint to it. I plan to water down the red acrylic paint I purchased and apply it to the circle. This will also help the etching I will add stand out.

They also had a great ribbon that I found that can be used as trim. I also found some putty colored fabric paint to use as the additional "beading" on the trim.

I'm hoping to work on the brooch and finish it tomorrow night. Will post pictures once it is done.
Very Happy

Last edited by LeiaAurora () on Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vest fabric looks fantastic! Where did you get that?

Those pants could work if you dye them. You'll, of course, need the leg wrappings to go around the lower parts of your knees to match that, but buying a second pair and cutting them up could work. However, if possible, it's a lot easier if you get a big piece of fabric and cut those strips on the bias, so that it has a little stretch (and frays less) when you wrap it around your legs. I would definitely line those pants, or just get two pairs and self-line them.

The thing about the belt is, it's not blue with trim. There's some really inaccurate tutorials out there for it. It's three layers: a wide bottom cheesecloth layer, a slightly narrower brown layer, then another narrow blue cheesecloth layer on top.

I got lucky enough to see this costume at an exhibit while I was working on mine, and spent lots of time with my nose up in the belt. Haha. Here's my version, with the top layer flipped back to see what's going on. The placement of my yellow pin-wheels is kind of approximate, but I'm pretty confident about the embroidered lines. I used a really tight zig-zag for those.

I really need to write up a tutorial for the belt...

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
BrieKalan (lesley farquhar)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile I'm the one doing this with Natalie.

I bought the wool underfabric and the vest fabric in the Los Angeles Fabric district probably 7-8 years ago. Its been stored away all this time.

I have some wool dyes on order to overdye both to get closer to the correct shades.

its going to be a fun costume. I'm more intimidated by the hair than anything!
501st Legion Droid Hunt Coordinator
Commanding Officer: Imperial Sands Garrison
Be 18. Have a cool costume. Don't be a jerk. Have fun.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Your vest fabric looks fantastic! Where did you get that?

The thing about the belt is, it's not blue with trim. There's some really inaccurate tutorials out there for it. It's three layers: a wide bottom cheesecloth layer, a slightly narrower brown layer, then another narrow blue cheesecloth layer on top.

Thanks for the info! Yep, Lesley and I decided to do a group build on this costume. Although, since there are only two of us, does it count as a group? hugs

I will definitely order those pants then and work on dyeing them when they arrive. Lesley suggested a beautiful purple dye for the pants so trying to figure out the best color before doing it.

The belt makes much more sense now that you have broken it down. Will my idea with the fabric paint work all on the visible portion of the brown area?

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards definitely call for embroidery, so I would recommend that. The little circles actually go pretty fast. I think I did mine in just an afternoon.

Though, in hind-sight, I should have flat-lined my brown wool with something strong like canvass before I started doing the zig-zag lines on my machine. The stitching caused some warping and stretching of the wool, which wouldn't have happened with a heavier fabric.

I can't wait to see what you guys do with this!

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update on this build. I found a better pair of pants for this costume and purchased them right away. They arrived on Sunday and fit great and have the crinkle look that is required.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H82C6TU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ended up buying 2 pairs. One to wear and one to make the wraps from. It may be excessive but it was still cheaper than making them myself, especially since I don't have the time to sew them right now.

I threw them on over a pair of shorts so that's why they don't fit quite right Razz

I played around with them and can definitely get the "excess" needed around the legs even after I apply the wraps to the pants so one hurdle done!

The fabric is luckily one that takes dye so, after conferring with Lesley, I purchased RIT in Navy Blue/Wine to make the color #524. For reference, we are using the following chart as a guide.

https://www.ritdye.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ColorRit_FINAL.pdf

I followed the formula but it wasn't giving me the color purple I needed so I ended up adding a ton more navy to the batch and let it sit for a longer time. I only have a medium sized container to mix the dye in etc so hence the splotchiness of the color. However, I think it is definitely going in the right direction colorwise. It's just not dark enough.

Also, I know the stitching on the pants needs to be removed. Just haven't done it yet. Luckily, it's purely decorative. Wink

I'm thinking the color combo is what the problem is so I am going to try the color Blue-Violet #161. It's closer to what we need. Just means I need to buy some purple dye to add to the mix. However, I am pleased with the progress thus far. I've only been able to work on this sporadically the last week due to lack of time but it's getting there.

Next steps are get pants the correct color and start on the hair.

Question on length! How strict is judging on hair length?

Mine is fairly long and will be more so by the time we submit so is it a decent length or do I need to look at extensions? For reference, I am pointing to where the bottom of my bra strap is in comparison to my hair.
[/b]

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padmé's is all the way down, but usually we allow for some leeway on both sides, so mid back should be alright based on other with similar lengths and styles. Past waist would be very nice. Smile

But you might want some extensions for the braids at any rate.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a good amount done on this build over the weekend. The pants I purchased were taking dye well but still weren't the dark black/plum color I wanted so I ended up revising the dye recipe. I used Black (3 capfuls) mixed with Purple (5 capfuls) and added Navy (2 capfuls). I also added vinegar at Lesley's suggestion and salt to make sure it stuck.

I was very pleasantly surprised with how well the color turned out! Once the color was good, I set about removing the pink thread from the pants. I stuck with the M pair as my base set and then basically cut up the XL pair into fabric strips. I have a pair of brown boots that work really well already and have the general shape of what I wanted so I removed all the straps from them and added a few pieces of velcro to help keep the leg wraps in place.

I did a preliminary try on last night and I am loving the overall look! Padme's pants kind of poof out a bit at the knee so for that reason, I kept the length of the pants and didn't cut anything from them. With the extra length, I was able to pull them out to give them the look I wanted.

Please excuse the dirty mirror. I only realized it was dirty after I took the pics. Sad

I plan on cleaning up the loose sections that are currently sticking out and fixing the portion that wraps around the boot a bit more but overall, I think that that portion of the costume is done.

I also worked on the brooch/medallion for the belt this weekend. I took the 2 inch buttons that I bought at JoAnn's and Sculpy clay and set to work. As mentioned before, I deliberately purchased the orange colored Sculpy because Padme's has hints of orange under the red. I shaped the clay to the center circle in the buttons before I began the design portion.

After I had the shape I needed, I pulled up my reference image and started adding the design detail to the clay.

Once I was satisfied with the overall look, I baked the clay and then painted it. I didn't like the straight red look of the paint so after applying a base coat, I added water to the acrylic and watered it down. This gave more of the effect and color I was hoping to achieve and it also brought out the designs a bit better.

Before I glued the clay to the buttons, I sanded the buttons and spray painted them with a flat black matte spray paint. The color came out great and held really well with one coat. Once the clay was glued in, I added a sealant to help keep the color.

This is the same sealant I used on my Slave Leia bikini and it works really well! Highly recommend it.

I fixed the black spot on the medallion on the right. Didn't notice it until after I took the photo. Mr. Green

Once the paint dried, I took Gorilla Glue and attached a pin back to each button so that we can remove it from the belt for easy cleaning, if necessary. I am really happy with how they came out! It was my first time attempting something like this and it came out how I had hoped they would.

Lesley also worked on dyeing our fabric this weekend. We now have all the fabric we need to complete the build and plan on working on it together this weekend.
Here are swatches of the fabric we will be using before and after the dye was applied. I think she did a fantastic job on getting the color where we will need it.

Tonight I will start working on the individual braid extensions and figuring out how best to use them with my own hair. I have a general idea of what I want to do and how to achieve it so fingers crossed! Leia Buns

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making great progress! I can't wait to see more of this.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More done on this costume on the hair front last night. I have scoured the internet for better shots of the back of Padme's hair but have not found much. Even screenshots don't show too much detail. Her hair is dark so it's difficult to see exactly what is happening.

I used the Padawan's Guide photos as a reference and tried it out last night. I have tons of Kanekalon hair in my possession for when I do Princess Leia. However, after I wear the pieces for a few months they get ragged so I retire them. I ended up using these "retired" pieces for the braids for this look. In total, I used 4 pieces and braided them into various size braids. I was able to achieve a more believable look by braiding the hair into different sizes.

I braided two pieces straight down in their entirety and used that for the 2 crown pieces of the hair and to make the center braided bun bigger. The other 2 I kept with the center rubber band in to help divide the length a bit.

Keeping in mind Lora's comment about length, I took 1/4 portion of the hair from the top of my head and pulled it into a half ponytail. I let the rest hang loose.

I braided the half ponytail into 2 smaller braids and left one chunk of hair unbraided to give more bulk to the center of the bun. I twisted this hair into a bun and pinned it to my head. While it had the right look, it wasn't big enough. I looped an additional full braid around my own hair and that gave it the size and height I wanted for that portion.

I plan on redoing this hairstyle when my hair is wet and using plenty of gel/hairspray but its definitely got the look I was hoping to achieve.

Once the crown braids and the center braided bun were done, I took the remaining 2 pieces of braided hair and looped them halfway under the center bun. This gave the length I needed to match the rest of my hair and also separated the braids a bit to give more dimension.

Keeping in mind it will look much neater when it is redone, can I get any feedback on the general style? Is there anything that needs to be redone ie;made smaller/bigger/longer?

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impression is good. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: