Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd2db77a0ac75216897162cbb12c0db8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kyle Katarn DFII - approved
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Kyle Katarn DFII - approved Reply with quote

I decided to try and build a costume. I have some boots with lashes so that will need some covering, got the grey crew neck shirt and black pants Smile so far. The belt is being made should be ready by the end of the week.. The upper shirt is quite a challenge since it is hard to find a matching material in my country. So far I have a brown fabric I need to bleach to match the standards. I will build a lightsaber later on the way but until that is ready I値l use my existing one only I have an amber LED installed so I値l swap it to RGB later as well so I can have green (or yellow). A friend of mine offered to make the droid caller and another the bracelets, shoulder pad. We値l see how it goes. This will be fun.

Last edited by mykejr () on Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm; edited 5 times in total
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a little progress. I found some material I need to bleach first:

fabric

Last edited by mykejr () on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the belt:

mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boots:

Boots
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belt parts just need to give it a nice metal paint Smile

IMG_20170801_213557

Self made droid caller also in progress:

2017-08-02_10-14-16
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the belt I consider ready. The gun holster I'll leave till next year:

I might need to cut the sides of the little plates?...

Driod caller needs some paint or powdercoat but in progress as well.

mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes. Started to make the basics of the saber:

Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the saber, are you planning to make a static belt hanger, or are you gonna go for a functional? Have you considered trying to 3D print accessoriesthat would fit over one of the Kyberlight kit sabers?

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc_with_a_Bryar wrote:
For the saber, are you planning to make a static belt hanger, or are you gonna go for a functional? Have you considered trying to 3D print accessoriesthat would fit over one of the Kyberlight kit sabers?

This will be a CNC machined aluminum hilt ready for installing electronics. I'm also thinking about a crystal chamber but first the basic version. 3D print is for the chassis inside (I do not own a printer).

As for Kyberlight you might be better of finding someone local. I could design something but I have very limited time for my hobby also I live far from you so shipping and tax would be kind of horrifying...
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I was mostly just curious what your plans were for your getup. The 3D model hilt looks fantastic, so I can't wait to see the final product.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merc_with_a_Bryar wrote:
Oh I was mostly just curious what your plans were for your getup. The 3D model hilt looks fantastic, so I can't wait to see the final product.

Thank you. Giving it everything I got to make it as accurate as possible and also make it duel worthy. The hard part is how to make the shroud. I値l think of a few versions then we will see.
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been super busy lately so my progress was not going as planned but now I can get back at it. Got a leather jacket I can cut to pieces so I can make the shoulder pad and the forearm until I get my genuine Dracke痴 Incredible Armory bracelets. Got the droid caller and have it painted now. It is a kind of replica since the original I cannot afford at the moment and is rare plus this I will not burst into tears if it gets a little hit while we duel. The hilt designs are also getting closer day by day but to be honest I知 not rushing it. I watched the vids like 100 times and now I need to decide if it is going to be more easier to machine or more accurate. It is a hard decision because having more details and 3d machining can increase costs and later if I want to make a crystal chamber version well maybe better to keep thing simple at first Smile

[url=https://flic.kr/p/YbFLzQ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ZcaQW3]
mykejr ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little progress. Shirt done. I used a photon blade the authentic saber will be done later for now I'll use my stunt.

Koda Vonnor (BillCostigan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well done. sir. As you asked me in your PM, I will make a few super-critical observations:

Yes, the scaling of the rear belt plates looks a bit wide. The ones I use are sized 1.5 x 2.25" (38x57mm) and were based on cut-scene screen shots. That scaling should be increased of course if your belt is more than 57 wide.

Also, the little rivets between the plates should be diamond (as on playing cards, not gemstones) shaped. I was not able to fine any studs that were the correct shape, and they are not required by the standards, but would be most accurate.

If your pants have belt-loops, make another belt from that leather that will fit through the belt lopps and use velcro or studs/holes for the closure. The cut-scenes (where you see his back, if I remember correctly) do show another leather belt under the utility belt.

I really like your boots, and as they have laces, are more accurate that what I used for my costume. The one promo photo of his standing with Jan Ors, also shows that he has some padded leg spats (wraps around the ankle and calf) of some sort. Those would also be a nice accuracy improvement over my Katarn. See this reference:

I cannot see if the shirt fabric has a ribbed or lengthwise crinkle texture, but the shirt in the cut-scenes definitely does. The color is very close to mine, but most of the cut-scenes show a bit darker fabric than what I used. It may also be the dark scene lighting so no big deal.

The seams and neckline construction of the shirt however is extremely accurate, as is the colour of the undershirt. Bravo. Smile The neck opening might be a little more curved than what you have, but it will not be a deal-breaker for the judges. See this reference:

Do you plan on making or getting a Bryar Pistol and holster? As long as the lightsaber is accurate, the blaster is not required for approval, I was just curious.

~ Bill C.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Your instructions you were kind to upload helped a great deal. Also used a lot of your reference photos not just game references. The video quality is not HD so that gives a little challenge when looking for small details Smile

The scaling of the plates is not perfected yet I'll definitely correct those. Need to cut a little from the sides, already measured just have to get some tools from my workplace.

Rivets: I'll be honest. I missed those. I was focusing so much on the saber itself. I'll definitely look if something similar is available here.

The shirt sadly is not ribbed. I got a darker shade of brown from the crincled material and simply could not get it lighter, so I kept looking for solutions and I found this one. I'll make some closeups later. It is hard to tell the color because of the darker scenes but I think it is a heavily used and maybe a bit too many times washed white Very Happy

I got info from a supplier that the one I got in dark brown might be available next summer in white and beige only it is a seasonal product. Next year I think Ill purchase some of it.

I plan to ad the holster and get a Brynar but I'll have to sell some sabers to found that project Smile

Thank you once again for the tips. I'll keep perfecting it and update as I get closer to submitting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: