Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f2762af656c5f548329788190d98a054Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

I Got to Do the Buns! ANH Leia
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: I Got to Do the Buns! ANH Leia Reply with quote

So I'm often inspired by fabric first then I find the project to fit the fabric, it's kinda backwords but it makes my life a bit easier. I'll set the scene.....I'm walking in a local Walmart and about eye level is a partially unrolled bolt of white knit fabric with just the right amount of stretch to drape like a dream. Was I there for white Princess Leia fabric? No but the Force lead me to it, and when the Force shows you a perfect fabric for $4.97 a yard, you go with it! If that was not my signal that I was ment to do Leia's white senatorial gown, the fabric that sealed the deal, white synthetic leather 30% off next door at Hobby Lobby definitely was a sign.

I blame the FORCE!! At least that's what I told my husband when I told him I was making another Star Wars costume after I JUST finished my first RL approved costume. Without further delay I give you a Leia belt......

Please, any suggestions are most appreciated!!! (I have some clean up I need to do)
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well, that is one way to decide what to do and certainly easier than scourging the shops/world for suitable fabrics/materials.

I look forward to seeing your progress. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

ibejedi (Heather Tanner)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have found the heavier weight matte jersey knit they have there. A number of us have found the $1.97 poly interlock fabric they sell and used it. It's amazing too! Good luck on your costume!!

Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What's important is the action. You don't have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually the confidence will follow. - Carrie Fisher
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find the heavyweight version! I love the drape on it. I started the hood last night just to play with the drape! So far it's wonderful! I will post some pictures in a few hours of the progress.......
Daughter of Alderaan (Joy Lochelt)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so awesome! Looking forward to seeing you around bun-sister!

I would suggest moving that middle "button" up on your belt to be more centered. Can't wait to see more progress!

Photos by Robbins Studios

In Progress:Padme Loyalist Gown, Leia Raddus Bridge
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call on the middle button it is off center!

Ok so this is the lining and the outer dress not sewn together yet. I plan to work on that tomorrow as it's kinda a "full-cup-of-coffee" thing. My brain is too sleepy to sew and that's the time when mistakes happen. So I'm walking away and getting sleep and I will start fresh tomorrow!
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I need advice on the keyhole opening in the back I have heard the original dress had an opening down around her armpits however I have not seen any picks that confirm that...how large should it be. The standards don't mention anything about the keyhole at all.
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I was going to take a full length shot and realized the main difference between now and last night is the lining, which of course you can't see. So instead I have put up some detail shots of the collar and potential keyhole opening (it's not sewn yet on purpose, I still need a opinion on size right now it's 13 cm). I would also love opinions on the blousing. I also centered the center button to the center! Shocked

Ok so I almost needed the Force to get the lining done as I literally got lost inside my dress trying to turn it right side out. I definitely lost my mind and had to take a few calm down moments, But in the end it is definitely worth the trouble. The seems are invisible and the dress flows nicely.

Also the pinkish/ red showing through is a t-shirt my body double wears and is not apart of the lining or any part of the dress!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say your key hole is pretty well sized- a lot depends on your own proportions and stature so maybe take a pic with it on? As for the blousing I tend to prefer a little more but there is a range of what is acceptable and so "some" is the basic reccomendation which you seem to have.

When I style mine I try to make it so the top third of the belt is covered in blousing

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few pictures of me in the dress. I kinda geeked out a bit looking in the mirror with the buns.....

The hooks on my collar (which I think are too large) attacked my buns a bit, so you can see a bit of my blond hair show through. I personally like the size the keyhole and will sew it that way (it's not really that wide my camera operator had to push my bra strap out of the way). As long as I'm careful I can put the dress on over the buns, as I do my hair first then get dressed.

I'm in need of better undergarments, I realize apparently there are no space bras in a Galexy Far Far Away, but princess Leia did not have kids and I do, so I need a bra! I'm happy with the size of the slit, which hits about 2 inches under my knee. I'm waiting on my boots to arrive before deciding on the blousing, which I will sew two rows of stitches that hold non roll elastic. My belt is a bit of an issue. I think I made it a bit to big. Is constantly falls out of place and I have to keep adjusting it.

Any suggestions?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd make a keyhole a tad smaller, but it varies.
For the collar definitely move the hooks and eyes so the collar closes completely when closed.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lora about the eye hooks. It is hard to tell about the length without the boots but am SO excited to see it with a smaller belt. Go Girl!

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! I also thought the back of the collar looked off because of the hook and eyes!

My boots arrived!!

They are "off-white", though every white looks off-white compared to my dress, and are the same color as my belt, a bit creamy white. I love the boots though! Mainly because they fit my "thick" calves.

So I tried to make hair bun combs, they kinda looked like a cross between a dead animal and a burnt cinnamon roll, so I'm not going to do it that way. I know it might save time when getting ready but so would rolling practice. I would rather take a few extra minutes to create smooth, professional, fresh, buns than have a "dead animal" pinned to my head!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use hair nets to keep mine looking smooth....have you thought about that?

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daughter of Alderaan wrote:
I use hair nets to keep mine looking smooth....have you thought about that?

I have thought about doing it that way. My issue is more to do with my hair color. I have level 8 blonde hair and leia has like a level 3 brown hair. I also have a small head, so a wig is not really an option for me, because most wigs don't fit, with the exception of "children's" wigs, which of course are terrible quality.

My solution starts with two sets of brown extensions , the thick one piece kind, in a level 5 brown, basically splitting the difference. Once those come in, hopefully Monday, I am going to do a reverse balayage. So my roots to about ear level, where the buns will sit, will be a level 5 brown and I get to keep my blonde wrapped up in the extensions.

Girly secret....I'm not really a blonde, I use a hi-lift on my ends every couple months. I'm naturally a level 5 brown, but blonde brings out my eyes! So my hair is usually ombre dyed. This time though I'm using my extensions as a color guide.

However, long story not so short, I was trying different options and this one is likely the best for me. I will also most likely use an invisible hair net.

I could have just said your idea rocks, but I felt like going into details. I know there are some Leias and Leia-to-bes that don't want to dye their hair completely, and also don't want a wig. I thought I would throw my solution out there in case there are any Leias reading my WIP thread, and looking for options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: