Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=cf72d093d4f9afacd3f9508e356488f3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Endor donut
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: New Endor donut Reply with quote

As a request from a friend, I modeled the donut to print for his endor commando... and will probably do a commando myself now Razz
Finished the model today. Aimed to print with 3mm thickness of plastic. I cut it in 4 for printing on my 15*15cm bed.
Was tricky to model but I'm happy with the model. Currently printing the first one. Will see how it goes, but if nice model will be available for the one interested. Can also print more for some other people if anybody interested.
It was hard to find measurement reference, MotM was only giving height, and there are multiple versions in the previous props, so this 3d model might not be 100% accurate on some points, but this is my interpretation of the endor commando donut. In addition to traditional 3D printing finish, this will require to use a file and sandpaper to round all the edges.

Weight : approx 220g without the paint.

What do you think of it ? Smile

PS : you might notice on those screenshot that the indent on the back are not spaced the same on left and right side... This is already corrected !

Jediknight Mik Law ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks very nice, and I am sure there are lots of us who would be interested in a donut closer to home on this side of the Atlantic Very Happy
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words Smile
Failed myself during printing of first part as I unplugged the printer cable by error.... twice -_- but it's no problem and already assemble the 3 slices of back part.
Front part printed well but break in the middle. I don't know if it's bad luck or smg that will be recurrent, in which case I will to break in more parts to print.
Side parts will print tonight. and should be able to come back to you by tomorrow with a first printed version.
My only concern so far is that it is a bit too small to fit heads and that I have to rescale it.

Concerning production. As said to someone else in private, the initial goal is not to be a provider to all RL, but it was to do it for my friend... and also myself now + another interested friend.
But I could make some for other people. I think it's far more easy to assemble than the vac-form ones I've seen. And if I compare to some I've seen online, price, including shipping worldwide, would be less. Even assembled and ready to print (in that case, twice cheaper than some I've seen). My goal is not to make money out of that.

So indeed if some people would be interested, I would be please to produce some for other peoples Smile
JohnMorog ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, where was this when I made mine??! This is great. Have you considered uploading the file to Thingiverse.com? Unless you do want to make money on it, which I understand. You could make the file available via like etsy and sell the file. That way you wouldn't be stuck making a bunch of helmets for orders.
TK-3238 ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in one pending how it turns out. I've been searching for a smaller donut for some time as the currently available ones all seem a bit too oversized.
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. I may hit you up for the model because I just don't have enough helmets Cool

Works in Progress:Kal Skirata, vaporator prop
TK-3238 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news? How did it turn out?
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys ! Sorry for late reply, just went back to other country after being back from Chile, for work again, so didn't got many time to get annoyed with image hosted problems :p

JohnMorog wrote:
Boy, where was this when I made mine??! This is great. Have you considered uploading the file to Thingiverse.com? Unless you do want to make money on it, which I understand. You could make the file available via like etsy and sell the file. That way you wouldn't be stuck making a bunch of helmets for orders.

Obviously not there when you did it Razz

I don't know if I'll put it on thingiverse but should put it available.

So First one turned ok however I made a mistake in assembling it which led in a slight asymmetry, corrected most of it by after. So just for further people wanting to do it. it is important to glue back with both side before to glue the front to both sides at same time, and not to glue front +side 1, at same time back +side2 and then both together (which I did here) Smile
Fortunately you can't see this asymmetry except watching from top or bottom.

Will soon print one for me when I will have repaired my printer (broke one end switch on it).
In meantime, here are some pics at various stage. Thank to Zohan from Chile Outpost for the pics on his head after he put a primary coat of paint Smile

Back part printed :

Test assembly with just clamps

Glue together

You can see on this top view the asymmetry residual from order to glue things.

Sanded and smoothed, slight primer coat as I was wondering if there was really an asymmetry or if it was vision effect due to the various plastic colors.
As you can see from front or back or side nothing visible

And with a green base coat applied by its new soldier. Good fit on the head apparently, with the cap will be good.

Voss (Dale Holland)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in getting one Laughing
OddViking ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a nice shape! The think I think you might need to adapt on your pattern, the top hole is too big. It should be smaller on top than the bottom, and in the pic below, you can see it is even a bit off-center in the movie, toward the front. In addition, it looks like with the soft part, it will sit too high on you, it should ride lower on the brow (this can be done after with a dremel, but if you are revising the model on top, might as well fix that too).

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things judges look for is where it sits in relation ti the ear hole on the ANH15 . it needs to ride down close to or even touching/ partly covering the ear hole.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ! Thanks for the comments.
Please note than the top and bottom brim are supposed to be re-cut by the wearer to fit there head ? Not done on those pics as I asked Chile CO if he could do pics for me to share before he finish it.

However I took into account your comments and I expended the brims so it allows for smaller heads maybe.
Also, I off centered the top brim so it provides a guideline to the wearer to cut more easily like on the pic from OddViking.
Finally I just corrected minor things in the model, a bit cleaner now on some aspect. (Like I don't know why there was a small hole in the front part where the angle changes... I thought it was a print error but was the model, fixed now).

Here are pics of the new model that I also cut differently for printing.

My printer is currently out of order, but as soon as I will manage to fix it, I will print another helmet for myself and will be able to do more for some other people Wink
TK-3238 ()

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! I would definitely like to get one as well when available!
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very good thinking on adaptability for head sizes.

David Little makes them in small and large, basically two sizes to adapt to different head shapes. Y ou get it and trim it to fit properly.
Ritin Kornas ()
Helvetica Base CO
Helvetica Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
very good thinking on adaptability for head sizes.

David Little makes them in small and large, basically two sizes to adapt to different head shapes. Y ou get it and trim it to fit properly.

Well actually, I think for larger head ppl should print it at 110/115% of the size maybe, or they will trim most of the flat parts :s
But not sure. Maybe when I can print another one if there is a convention around here I can ask all my garrison and outpost mates to try it to conduct a survey on size Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: