Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fa33409a86aa22e37afcf038fa99bd94Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo holsters: Anovos vs. Todd's Costumes comparison
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisG ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are great reference photos! You are correct. It does look like the cap is partially recessed.
LastMaxStanding ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Han Solo holsters: Anovos vs. Todd's Costumes comparison Reply with quote

kman wrote:

I don't know whether the leather on Todd's belt is simply better quality, or simply less "dried out" (maybe some leather conditioner can help?), but the Todd's Costumes belt and holster definitely feels thicker, more supple, and again, less dried out. Particularly the belt pouches. The Anovos pouches are really thin, and seem almost like they're a bit at risk of tearing.

Hey there— I'm kinda new around here so only just finding this post now. Thanks for the great write up! I, myself, already own the ANOVOS belt rig and pretty much agree completely with all your assessments, especially the quote above. I was really surprised at the leather quality in terms of the thinness of the pouches and dryness of the leather. And I also share your concerns about the leather tearing with use of the belt tools/greebles.

About 4 months ago I decided to use some leather conditioner on the belt. I don't have much experience working with leather and was doubly nervous after reading that over conditioning is not good for leather and can weaken stitching.

That said, I am very pleased with the results. The leather definitely has more flexibility and the color is closer to the product shots on the packaging. I would recommend the conditioning (with the understanding of the potential risk mentioned above).

[/img]
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What leather conditioner did you use, and how did you apply it? Any issue with the Anovos paint (weathering)?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
What leather conditioner did you use, and how did you apply it? Any issue with the Anovos paint (weathering)?

I used Leather Rescue Leather Conditioner and Restorer which I got from Amazon: http://a.co/aeERQYG

All I used was a sponge to apply it and then a dry cloth to wipe the excess after letting it sit overnight. I believe I did about 4 coats total (over a period of 4 or so days, letting it sit about 12 hrs in between each coat—sometimes maybe 24 hrs in between), which may have been excessive. I say this because the pouches, with the thinner leather, ended up being darker than the rest of the belt— though this effect has greatly diminished in the months since.

As for the weathering on the belt, it did not disappear after the conditioning, rather it was proportionally effected and looks correct. This process worked out well for me and there has been no evidence of the stitches being weakened, so far.

Last edited by LastMaxStanding () on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks Smile
Active Legion Member

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so i had it around the wrong way! Well thats OK then... misread!

In regards to the lopsided end cap.. i really dont believe that argument at all. I think I can see the end cap being equal all the way around, its just a poor quality photo/lighting making it look otherwise..
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lopsided? It’s quite even. Just placed in two very different ways.

The photos pretty clearly show (they’re well lit and high resolution) the end cap should be at least somewhat inset into the end, closer to the way Todd’s has it than Anovos, IMO. Had Anovos beveled the two parts a bit before stitching it in place they would have nailed it.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do not "pretty clearly" show anything!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwlswgzev819akh/inverted.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m1spks1gdfvj1jy/Non_inverted.jpg?dl=0

I think from this image you can see the level end cap going around. Also visible in negative image..

I do not believe it is "clear" from any shot that this is absolutely inset...
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note, that I never said it's *completely* inset, only partially.

It may be somewhat of an optical illusion from the stitching method used on the originals vs. Anovos. The originals are hand stitched somewhat irregularly, and the line tension is pulling the main holster in slightly compared to the end cap, which is why there is a slight bulge at the end. The tension of the lines, which run diagonally internally, pull the main holster AND the end cap in slightly.

The extremely regular stitching on the Anovos holster does not appear to deliver the same diagonal pull. I don't know what stitching method they used, without the holster in front of me, but their stitching almost seems to go straight in from the sides, and straight in from the bottom, which makes me wonder if there is an intermediate part inside that they're stitching into, rather than the diagonal hand stitching technique used on the original.

There's also far less wear on the edges, which accounts for some of the added "sharp" appearance, as well.

ChrisG's photo for ease of comparison:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering trying to take the bottom off and see if i can partially inset it, but I fear it might look worse....
ZeroCooL ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to argue. Everyone sees things differently but I've got photos from the "Costumes of the original trilogy" book which show it as one solid flat piece not inset at all
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marq76 wrote:
Hello and those holsters look great!! I'd like to own either one.But my question;how wide are the main belts? I've done extensive searches and my own conclusion is around 2 inches am I right? Also how thick are the metal pieces;in millimeters?

I realize it's been something like a year since you asked this, but I happened to have my calipers and belt in the same place last night (for the first time!), and remembered your request.

Todd's buckle: 2.99 mm

Todd's holster slides/clips: 1.81 mm

Anovos buckle: 2.83 mm

Anovos holster slides/clips: 1.09 mm

To to summarize, both Anovos and Todd's buckles (front and back) are approx 3mm thick. And as I noted in the review, less specifically, Todd's holster slides are nearly twice as thick as the Anovos ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastMaxStanding wrote:
kman wrote:

I used Leather Rescue Leather Conditioner and Restorer which I got from Amazon: http://a.co/aeERQYG

All I used was a sponge to apply it and then a dry cloth to wipe the excess after letting it sit overnight. I believe I did about 4 coats total (over a period of 4 or so days, letting it sit about 12 hrs in between each coat—sometimes maybe 24 hrs in between), which may have been excessive. I say this because the pouches, with the thinner leather, ended up being darker than the rest of the belt— though this effect has greatly diminished in the months since.

As for the weathering on the belt, it did not disappear after the conditioning, rather it was proportionally effected and looks correct. This process worked out well for me and there has been no evidence of the stitches being weakened, so far.

hey brother. would you mind posting more pictures of your anovos belt after the oil applying?? i would like to see it on in costume please ! i just bought the belt from anovos and when it comes i want to do the same thing you did
LastMaxStanding ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicholas007 wrote:

hey brother. would you mind posting more pictures of your anovos belt after the oil applying?? i would like to see it on in costume please ! i just bought the belt from anovos and when it comes i want to do the same thing you did

Sorry but the image I posted is the best one I have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: