Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=71673a3f1612d5d38eca279ddc0bebf2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Baby Solo: Sometimes you do costuming that makes no sense!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject: Baby Solo: Sometimes you do costuming that makes no sense! Reply with quote

I decided this should really be in it's own thread.

Perhaps it would be more appropriate for Galactic Academy forums, but (a) I don't think they actually exist, and (b) I think the people here will still appreciate it. Smile

So as I recently posted in my Han Solo WIP thread (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84729), I've been a little busy at home, with a new wee one. And I haven't been paying the same amount of attention to my own costume as I usually would. (I really need to deal with that ESB jacket, asap!) To compensate, however, I've been going a little nuts making costumes for the baby. Including a complete Han Solo outfit. Wink Including a hand made gun belt. (sans blaster, at my wife's insistence) With metal buckles and nearly complete hardware. (I decided not to bother with actual belt greeblies since he'll be outgrowing this in about a month anyway!)

So here's a little mini WIP for my little man's Han Solo costume. Smile

Starting with a pair of blue jean-type newborn-size leggings, I added a red blood stripe. No, it's not the dashed stripe it would need for accuracy, but hey, there was some limit to how much work and money I was willing to put into a costume that he'll outgrow in a month or two.

I also added a pintuck seam (because LOL). Wink

I made a mock up of the vest, just eyeballing EVERYTHING, to make sure I was in the right ballpark for the sizing:

Then I went a little insane and decided to add FUNCTIONAL (and fairly accurate) pockets to the final version.

Not pictured are the loops and back pocket, which, yes, are where they should be on the back of the vest. Which no one ever sees.

So where does one find black leather knee high boots in a newborn size?

One doesn't. At least, I couldn't. So I again went stupid and bought a pattern to MAKE some newborn boots, and used black leather-appearance upholstery vinyl to make him some "tall" boots. Good enough for this purpose, at least. I wish I had photographed the process, but I was kind of in a mood to plow through it and just see if the concept would work at all, to stop and document the process.

I didn't try to make a perfectly accurate shirt, though. I just used a white long sleeve newborn shirt. Sorry.

But it all came together quite nicely. Smile

Of course, it's missing the signature piece, right? What to do about the belt? Why, overboard is the way to go, obviously. Right?

So I hand made a leather belt. Complete with "pouches". (non functional, this time, sorry) And took raw aluminum stock and hand made accurate (scale) buckles.

That's a dime on there, that I pounded a bit, for the disc. Wink Now, my wife vetoed an actual blaster, so I instead made a little pouch to go where the holster part hangs. For the droid caller, I considered 3D printing one to scale, but ultimately went simpler (my 3D printer is packed away in the garage at the moment) and modified a black marks-a-lot marker, added some silver spray paint, and called it good enough. Wink I'm still beyond pleased with how it came out. Exacto knife for scale.

And now to put it all together, here's my son, following in his father's Han Solo footsteps, even before he could walk. Wink Build-a-Bear Chewbacca to keep him company, because Han Solo shouldn't be without his best buddy. Wink

And point of interest, here is his belt laid out next to my full scale Anovos belt for comparison and cuteness. LOL

So there you have it. Hope you enjoy this a fraction of how much I did. Very Happy

Last edited by kman () on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BLASTING AWESOME!!!!! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Solo wrote:
this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BLASTING AWESOME!!!!! Very Happy

Thank you. Smile It was a BLAST to make. LOL!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I want to make this for a baby now!! So freaking cute!!
Base Membership Officer 2017
Captain Solo (Evert Joosse)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this! 😀
jen0farc ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fantastic! So cute, great work!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jen0farc wrote:
This is fantastic! So cute, great work!

Thanks! Of course, now that it's been 2 months, he's twice as big and nothing fits anymore... *sigh* Time to start over from the beginning!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear that. LOL

my kids have finally reached 'full sized', so I don't have to re-make costumes again and again.

Cool
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Thanks! Of course, now that it's been 2 months, he's twice as big and nothing fits anymore... *sigh* Time to start over from the beginning!

I will buy it from you if you want to part ways with it 😁😁😁
Base Membership Officer 2017
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomad Angie wrote:
kman wrote:

I will buy it from you if you want to part ways with it 😁😁😁

I actually was trying to figure out what I was going to do with it. Smile

Shoot me a PM if you’re really interested...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: