Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1d98f78d181d63807e41cf8b692934beMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Steve's wookiee Wip
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scouser (Devlin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck10 wrote:
Scouser wrote:
I don't know of anybody in the UK personally, but there are a few build threads where people have used foam sheets that are layers and cut to look like feet. I want to say that Yiyo's thread may be that way. I know he used gorilla costume parts to give the proper toe look. He is in Spain, so had the same issue you may be having with an economical way to making them. I think at least 1 person many have used expanding foam, but foam sheets seem to be the popular way to go if making them yourself and not trying to mold or anything.

Lol im not sure im skilled enough to carve feet. The expanding foam idea didnt work either. A waste of a day and a half Sad I cut wood feet, mounted em gaffer taped them up. Tried to add foam around the stilts but it was just too flimsy and I concluded the feet were too small in order to give a slope to my actual feet. So all dismantled....back to the drawing board.

lol, well, to be honest, most of the foot is never seen. That is why I suggested Yiyo's build because his is very basic and the hair covers everything. All you need to see are the toes really. The hair is very forgiving especially once you get it on in layers and the pants hair hangs down to compliment it all.

I have a piece of foam that runs from the back of my high stepper to the edge of the toes. It helps to support the bottom of the toes by giving a platform. I also ran some elastic from the side of the toes around the high stepper to keep it pulled back. It's not overly tight so I don't mess up the toes or pull the attachment out and mess up anything there either.
Dewkazza - Wookiee Elder (Generic)
Horr'orr - ANH Tusken/Bantha Rider (501st (DZ-91919) & Rebel Legion)
Grand Moff Tarkin (ID-91919)
Tie Pilot Reserve (TI-91919)
Bridge Crew: Engineer (IC-91919)
mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple items for thought.

For my feet I used foam matting like what is used to hold tools in tool boxes I put two layers together and covered it with liquid plastic for texture and so I could paint them. Toe nails were made from the bottom of 2 liter pop bottles. It gave it a curve it both length and width.

as far as using chewie colors but making a generic wookiee. Ok, just don't make the same areas grey cause then it just looks like chewie with out a bando. and that would defeat your purpose , I think.

Wear the Hair!
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'll give it some thought. Regards the colours yeah I'll mix it up a bit no greys in the same places etc. I'll add darker areas too. Goo g to pick up some pens and have a play around on some paper. Also going to start the suit soon. Will probably start latch hooking the top first whilst working out feet size and toes etc.
Yiyo (Tom)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are on the right track! Excellent! Generic wookiess rock Smile

I also use the buckets, but I'm tall and have a beer belly, so I would kill myself in stilts.

Can I ask you, if you can, to show some more detailed photos of the aluminum rod set-up you have used to avoid the foot bump? Bottom attachment and behind the knee pad. It looks excellent.

For toes, I used some $8 dollar gorilla shoes, carved the shape out of foam, cut the toes into individual toes, glued on, strap aroung the bucket and voila. Took about 20 minutes and they look the part.

Oh, and take Matt's advise, if you use the Chewie layout, it might look a little weird, you can play about with a generic wookiee to a point, I simply shared a pattern on here and got people's feedback.
TD28125 Sandtrooper (501)
Thrain, Generic Wookiee (RL)
Admiral Ackbar (RL)
Yiyo (Tom)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I would love to see some pictures of the mesh once it arrives. I'm in Spain and bought it from the States, cost $102 with shipping.......the mesh was only $42, so a decent supplier in the UK makes sense Smile
TD28125 Sandtrooper (501)
Thrain, Generic Wookiee (RL)
Admiral Ackbar (RL)
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yiyo wrote:
Looks like you are on the right track! Excellent! Generic wookiess rock Smile

I also use the buckets, but I'm tall and have a beer belly, so I would kill myself in stilts.

Can I ask you, if you can, to show some more detailed photos of the aluminum rod set-up you have used to avoid the foot bump? Bottom attachment and behind the knee pad. It looks excellent.

For toes, I used some $8 dollar gorilla shoes, carved the shape out of foam, cut the toes into individual toes, glued on, strap aroung the bucket and voila. Took about 20 minutes and they look the part.

Oh, and take Matt's advise, if you use the Chewie layout, it might look a little weird, you can play about with a generic wookiee to a point, I simply shared a pattern on here and got people's feedback.

Sorry for the late reply been busy sorting the man cave out for this build. I'm actually using drywall stilts. I was going to recommend you check out Keith's Scottish wookiee build as its brilliant but I can see you already found it. I'll get some photos of the mesh posted soon.
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been busy today. After a failed first attempt at the stilts/legs I started from scratch. I bought 2 chopping boards which I've used for the feet and attached foam matting to the underside. I'm going to add rubber to the sole so I don't slip.

I've wrapped foam around the stilts and the gaffer taped it all up. I HATE gaffa tape!! I left an overhang of foam to sit the toes on and to give a gradual slope to the knees.

I'll use more foam to create a shin guard up to the top of the stilts. Photos to follow when done.

Hope this looks ok.
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the foam is too wide now. May need to redo it.....again? Any comments?
Uffizzi (Norman Gugliotta)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck10 wrote:
I'm thinking the foam is too wide now. May need to redo it.....again? Any comments?

Are you adding hinged toes onto the board? You may need to put some support on the sides of the 'foot' to prevent the possibility of rolling your ankle when you walk.

MTFBWY
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't planning to no. What you see atbthe front protruding is foam matting which I can trim off if need be. Not sure about supports. The sole is nice and wide and walking in them is real easy.

Anyway I redid the foam and narrowed it all. Much happier now.

Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try out.

mattcamaro (L. Matt Darling)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job. I dont see why you roll your ankle. did you put any thing on the bottom to help prevent sliding? Just a thought I wear my stilts with the bars on the inside of my legs> Not a requirement by any means just an option. I do it to keep the bump down and to keep kids from hugging my legs and hitting the bar.

Wear the Hair!
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattcamaro wrote:
nice job. I dont see why you roll your ankle. did you put any thing on the bottom to help prevent sliding? Just a thought I wear my stilts with the bars on the inside of my legs> Not a requirement by any means just an option. I do it to keep the bump down and to keep kids from hugging my legs and hitting the bar.

Yeah ive got rubber matting still to attach to the soles. And what a great idea 're switching the stilts. Will try that later on. Thanks Smile
Bacca9 (Jamie "Gingersnap")
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any ideas on the stilt bump yet? Bathroom sized plastic trashcans cut in half work a treat Smile I personally use an aluminum "cage" that i created from 1/2" wide aluminum flat stock. Others have used shin guards with foam attached. Lots of options!

Rebel Legion: Bacca9
Apollo Base Commanding Officer
Legion Costume Judge
501st: TK-91107
Mandalorian Mercs: OM-1107
Buck10 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacca9 wrote:
Any ideas on the stilt bump yet? Bathroom sized plastic trashcans cut in half work a treat Smile I personally use an aluminum "cage" that i created from 1/2" wide aluminum flat stock. Others have used shin guards with foam attached. Lots of options!

I was going to use foam. I have a couple of squares 1" thick that I could cut to size and fold around something. Not sure atm. It's trawling through dozens and dozens of threads to find solutuons. Shame there isn't a stilt bump sticky with just photos of everyone's own solution lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: