Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=bb0e48cde2359b2beb286342756b7dd6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ichnob's Han ESB Upgrades - The Road to Approval
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ichnob ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Ichnob's Han ESB Upgrades - The Road to Approval Reply with quote

Well, let's give this a go.

While I've been commenting on various threads, I have yet to post my own. So now, it's time to post my adventures in upgrading one of my all time favorite costumes of the original trilogy, Han's ESB (Bespin) costume. Here's what I started out with back in 2015-2016 (though the picture was taken today). I had the pants and boots from my original Han Halloween costume almost a decade ago. I had this as my costume to wear for the premiere of The Force Awakens.

-Jacket made by me, using the Dawn Anderson Falcon Jacket pattern.
-Shirt made by me, using the McCall's 7760 patter, slightly modified.
-Pants were a pair of Dickies using the bloodstripes from Corellian Exports long ago.
-Boots were cheapo costume boots that you see everywhere
-Pants belt is from Todd's Costumes.

Some updates I know I need to do:
-Jacket has a zipper. I know it's not supposed to, but I made this one functional, and it is a fantastic casual jacket for daily use. It's very low key. Besides that, unsure what else I'll need to modify, so I'm just going to go a head and remake it the same way, but use charcoal colored fabric as in the Star Wars Costumes book.
-Shirt doesn't have a placket, and the folds are not evenly distributed. There for sure needs to be more modifications done for the shirt pattern, but it fits well, and I can use the base pattern for other costumes in the future. So another good pattern purchase.
-Pants...where do I begin. Visible pockets, no riding seam, and no pin tucks. Gonna make the pants from scratch, so I will be able to take care of all those problems at my leisure.
-Boots are in my Amazon wish list. I'll purchase those rubber ones that have a leather like look to them, that I saw linked either here or RPF, I don't remember where.

Yes, it's a long way to go before I can even think about submitting for approval, but this thread will help document the journey to hopefully getting there. More content and images coming in later posts.
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I do way too much work during crunch time. In the lead up to Dragon Con 2016, I was on the Boba Debt RPF run for the Han Solo ESB blaster. He was originally scheduled to finish before the premiere of TFA, which didn't happen. I was hoping he'd finish before SDCC so I could work on the holster after, but alas, no. So I decided to purchase the Todd's hardware kit for the ESB holster rig and make the pattern to try to fit my toy DL-44 from Disneyland. Let's just say there were some rough patches, all to my own doing. Rolling Eyes

*pro-tip: best not to tackle two big projects at the same time before a convention; the other project I worked on in conjunction with this was doing my first ever lightsaber install for my girlfriend's Rey

First up, the hardware kit had no instructions. While I had most of the tools, I had to go out and purchase some rivet and snap setters. Ruined a few of them on some test leather, but luckily, what Todd includes and what you can find at Michaels are roughly the same. Still, had to do a lot of guesswork with how to assemble everything in each step order. At this point, I did know about Crazylegsmurphy's pattern, but I did not know about Lady Solo's thread about her holster. So that would have saved me some headaches, but I'm still proud of what I ended up with.

After cutting the belt lengths, I went ahead cut the pouches and attachments based on the belt greeblies I ordered from Etsy. I didn't have a block shape for the pouches. These were all done freehand wetforming. Oh, and the leather I bought was already that color. Spent more not having to deal with leather dye or paint. Though it was worth it as I love the color.

Again, flying by the seat of my pants, I didn't have the exact measurements and spacing down. Here, I positioned the pouches where I though they should go, then marked the holes from the pouches onto the belt before punching my sewing holes.

Most of the pouches and hardware for the belt itself are now attached. Here I am test fitting my Etsy purchased greeblies to make sure they fit (they do!).

The closed pouch is a real pain to snap shut. I don't know if this is the correct size or not, because I made this specifically to fit challenge coins in plastic cases. No getting caught without challenge coins in this costume at least.

And this shameful photo was taken on Day 0 of Dragon Con 2016. As you can see, the Disney blaster doesn't fit in the drop down part. I thought that I would make the holster itself be removable, so I can accurately attach it with rivets later. Sadly, the rest of the drop down part was also way too big. It didn't sit flush to my leg, instead having a huge gap which at least made pocket access okay. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I TRY WORKING ON PROJECTS THE NIGHT BEFORE MY FLIGHT, SO DON'T BE LIKE ME.

So that's my progress as of late 2016. I wouldn't come back to working on this until WonderCon 2017 and the Scum & Villainy Cantina pop up bar experience in Los Angeles at the end of April. Some better upgrades and more to come.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Nice job!

Thanks you so much! It means a lot coming from you. Your patterns and research helped push me to get this done.
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So post Dragon Con, I didn't touch my Han costume for a while. And it wasn't until around October when my Boba Debt blaster finally arrived, and she's such a beauty. The heft on this thing completely blew my mind. Here it is unassembled.

With the holidays though, I didn't really want to work on this for a bit. Compound that with some other life problems, I probably wouldn't have done a all that great of a job with it to be honest.

So if you remember before, I did not fit my holster to my toy blaster well at all. This time, with the base Denix, I was able to start with a pretty decent base pattern. And with some craft foam and Lady Solo's thread, I was able to get some decent patterns going with this. Thankfully that full leather hide had a lot of extra material for me to work with in case I messed up.

Here's the Denix after mounting some of the greeblies to make it look closer to the Bespin DL-44. I believe the pistons aren't actually on the Bespin version, but it looks so boring without them. So I have kind of an idealized version of Han's ESB blaster, with parts from Bespin and parts from Hoth. I used some aluminum black on the machined parts of the gun before hitting it with spray paint. And you can see the glue I used that Boba Debt recommended for attaching the greeblies.

Here's my probably not screen accurate attempt at the drop down part of the holster. I feel like this could still have some room for improvement, but this has to get done before WonderCon. So as my friends say, "done is better than perfect when it comes to cosplay."

While I've dabbled a bit with leatherwork before, this is the first time I've ever done a toe plug. The first one I made had a hole in it like my Indiana Jones holster, but researching some more showed that it probably didn't have a hole for the plug. This was my first and only attempt. And while it fit okay, the first half of sewing this I definitely pulled my stitches too tight.

Please excused the dirty mirror photo. Yes, image is flipped since I took a photo of the mirror. Just doing a quick test fit before I finish off the blaster or have to remake parts again. But at this point, I'm happy that it fits.
Han_Sulu ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd question but how tall are you? I'm 5'4 and I found the Denix to be too large for my legs and I can't get an accurate attachment from the gun holster to the belt.
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Han_Sulu wrote:
Odd question but how tall are you? I'm 5'4 and I found the Denix to be too large for my legs and I can't get an accurate attachment from the gun holster to the belt.

I'm about 5'11". Closer to 6' with the boots on. You'll probably have to have a much shallower curve for the upper drop down part of the holster.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Nice job!

Thanks you so much! It means a lot coming from you. Your patterns and research helped push me to get this done.

Awww, shucks!

No, but honestly. I just saw your last post. I think you did a fantastic job. Very ESB. What would you say was the most difficult part of building this?
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
No, but honestly. I just saw your last post. I think you did a fantastic job. Very ESB. What would you say was the most difficult part of building this?

The drop down holster really. Getting the angle correct for the curve was tough to do on my own. Even with asking my girlfriend for some assistance during the Dragon Con stage of the holster, it didn't come out correct. I think my issue was that I tried to make it very symmetric, rather than making the part going towards the front buckle shorter than the part going to the back buckle. I noticed that on Lady Solo's pattern on her thread and made the adjustment for my second attempt. Then I thought with the bare Denix, making the actual blaster holster would be a piece of cake. Nope, had to make it a third time because I forgot to account for the scope bracket. So some trial and error that could have gone better had I fully done it with craft foam first.

Edit--
I probably could have wetformed the holster to the blaster as well, but for now I just keep the blaster in it while I debate which blaster stand to get.
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Crazylegsmurphy wrote:

The drop down holster really. Getting the angle correct for the curve was tough to do on my own. Even with asking my girlfriend for some assistance during the Dragon Con stage of the holster, it didn't come out correct. I think my issue was that I tried to make it very symmetric, rather than making the part going towards the front buckle shorter than the part going to the back buckle. I noticed that on Lady Solo's pattern on her thread and made the adjustment for my second attempt. Then I thought with the bare Denix, making the actual blaster holster would be a piece of cake. Nope, had to make it a third time because I forgot to account for the scope bracket. So some trial and error that could have gone better had I fully done it with craft foam first.

Ahh, yes. It looks symmetrical on first glance, but the butt part is much longer to get around Han's sweet man-cheeks.

The entire bottom half of the holster is honestly the hardest part of this entire build. It takes a lot of adjustments for body types, plus, as you said it is hard to fit to a blaster without a totally finished blaster. My holster pattern adjusted quite a bit after getting an actual Denix, and it still needs adjusting.

It worked out though. It is a nice, crisp holster without any noticeable mistakes. I think you did great, sir!
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So finishing up the last remaining upgrades I had time to complete for WonderCon this past March, here's my blaster from Boba Debt on The RPF (which he's currently doing another small run of, so hurry while you can). While it's painted and slightly weathered, it hasn't been sealed or weathered enough. So currently letting the leather, walking around with it, and my general handling of it give it some weathering that I can exaggerate later.

Other side, which isn't screen accurate. I went with the Hoth pistons to be included on my Bespin blaster, because I thought it looked too boring and too close to Luke's. I mean, he had the pistons when they were filming for Hoth. Just going to assume the cold ruined the adhesive, so they just used what they could. So this is more of my idealized blaster for Han.

Everything finished and ready for the stress test that is walking around with it at a convention. The leg strap is instead riveted to the leather, unlike my last one which was threaded through slits. If I had to change some things, I would make the snaps in the back closer together, and I might be able to get away with making the barrel part of the holster a little tighter. For now, calling this done unless it's unapprovable. Shirt upgrade comes next in time for my Scum & Villainy Cantina reservation in late April.

Oh, and the holster did come through in the convention. Only one rivet popped off, and it wasn't costume breaking. One of the rivets that strapped over the blaster handle (I have two there) separated. So that was quickly fixed, along with me hammering a few more rivets down just to be safe.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw this, very nice job on the belt! I hope to make one of my own one of these days. Yours came out very well, definitely.

I did the same "idealized" version with my ESB blaster as well.

Have you submitted your ESB costume to RL yet? I submitted mine just this past weekend. I hope Brian can get me processed faster than last time. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet to. Still need to do the pants and get some better boots. My costume boots have shown a lot of wear over the last decade, but my Todd's boots have not yet shipped. Supposed to ship mid June, so might have to send another email.

Hoping to finish the pants for SDCC, since I'm also working on other SDCC related projects (non-Star Wars). Hopefully I can get some good submission pictures there, as well. Apartment is so cluttered right now due to Anime Expo and SDCC crunch.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
I have yet to. Still need to do the pants and get some better boots. My costume boots have shown a lot of wear over the last decade, but my Todd's boots have not yet shipped. Supposed to ship mid June, so might have to send another email.

Hoping to finish the pants for SDCC, since I'm also working on other SDCC related projects (non-Star Wars). Hopefully I can get some good submission pictures there, as well. Apartment is so cluttered right now due to Anime Expo and SDCC crunch.

Cool. I want to upgrade my pants at some point, too. Did you find a good pattern?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
Cool. I want to upgrade my pants at some point, too. Did you find a good pattern?

I picked up a Simplicity pattern that was on sale for $1 from Joanns a few weeks ago. The main modification I'll have to do (besides the pin tuck and riding seam) are the side pockets. If I still want pants pockets for non trooping purposes, I'll have to make them hidden via the pants seam & bloodstripes so I can use them for trooping if necessary, either by an invisible zipper or snaps.

Oh, and here's the pattern. Simplicity 1286
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: