Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=69d378322d07003da268bc2b4cbb6642Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Leia: Ready for submission?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen anyone doing it in a while, but I know that some people have made permanent, flexible hair pieces to twist around their own hair. I'll see if I can explain it.

Basically, you make a small, flat bun with your own hair on either side of the head. That's what you wrap the hair piece around.

The hair piece has a semi-hard, flexible core and is wrapped with glued on kanekalon hair. Kinda the same method many use for Arena Padmé, but with a longer and thicker hair piece. These pieces can then be wrapped around your own smaller bun and pinned to your head. Ideally, you'll have one long piece for each bun.
Might be an option for you. Smile

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

She/Her They/Them

anakinsandhater ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh I get what you're referring to! I've seen the Geonosis Padme tutorial before but I've never thought to try it for Leia buns. I'll definitely give it a shot, thank you!
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anakinsandhater wrote:
Oh dear I did not realize people use the kanekalon hair a few times then throw it away and buy new ones

Hi! Saw your post and thought I would chime in. First of all, great job on the belt! It looks great!

As for the hair, try not to fret. As long as you are careful with it and don't use a lot (or any) hair product, you should be good for many, many wears with it. I use the $4 ones from Sally's Beauty. If it becomes an issue and you need help getting more, feel free to PM me. I would happily pick some up for you and ship you a bunch if that helps. Very Happy

When I first started doing her hairstyle, I would use many, many bobby pins. Someone suggested bigger pins so I went in search of ones that would work. I lucked out with these and haven't looked back since. I think I use between 3-4 per bun total. They hold the hair amazingly well and are pretty inexpensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Hair-Days-Magic-Grip/dp/B01CH5RAFI/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1494960162&sr=8-1&keywords=magic+grip+bobby+pins

I also fought the idea of using a hairnet simply because I didn't like how it looks. However, after several windy and rainy troops outdoors, I found them to be indispensable! You can get a bunch of them for relatively cheap and those you can definitely reuse over and over again.
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
anakinsandhater ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are way too nice! Thank you so much for the offer! But I think it'll end up being more expensive because shipping costs and conversion to my currency Laughing and I wouldn't want to trouble you!

I'll probably try the usual method again after I get better pins (I hope I can find those magic grip ones, those look insane!) and give the bendy tube method a test run as well. If I ruin my kanekalon hair in the experimentation process, I'll just get two more packs because I realised the ones I bought are one shade off from my regular hair :')
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the extra long drawstring ponies, and they work so great!! And the quality of the hair is beautiful and so realistic looking.

Here is a link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVICA-A-FOX-SYNTHETIC-HAIR-DRAWSTRING-PONYTAIL-TWO-IN-ONE-BANG-PONY-BP-FENDY-/332222219775?var=&hash=item4d59fcc5ff:m:mbtzOCEmKXhRe_irrVqsTrw

They are pricey but worth it!
anakinsandhater ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went out and got actual pins, the big ones - not the magic grip ones because I couldn't find them anywhere, but I tried the buns again with the usual method and IT WORKED! Kinda.

Yeah I haven't pinned my bangs up, the buns are uneven, the rest of my hair is messy and you can see my faded blue dip-dyed hair peeking through but I was so excited that it sort of happened Mr. Green as I've mentioned before the kanekalon hair is a shade off from my normal hair. It's not super obvious in the pics unless you look closesly, but irl and in the sun it's definitely noticeable. I do have a brown hairspray I bought to cover up the green-blue-blonde bits of my hair that miiight match the kanekalon. Haven't tried it out yet, will do on my next off day.

Quote:
May I ask what kind of kanekalon you are using? I know the regular "frizzy" kind is kind of a pain. It was the first one I tried and quickly discovered it was not the right consistency for me! Now I know there is a way to smooth it down, but sometimes thats just a bit much?

So I opted to start looking for a different texture for the kanekalon hair. I was lucky enough to find what is called "silky smooth kanekalon hair" It's a lot easier to twist since it isn't as bulky and may work a lot better with thinner hair.

Is the silky smooth kanekalon easier to handle and less prone to tangling? I have a feeling if I try a few more times, the ones I have now are going to be too tangled up to use again Sad Also, will the reduced bulk affect the size of the buns?

If my brown hairspray doesn't match the kanekalon hair at all, I'll probably end up sacrificing it to try and make insta-buns. I searched high and low for those bendy foam rollers but I couldn't find them, and if I get them online the prices are ridiculous after shipping and conversion. So I wandered around my local art store and found styrofoam rings that might work as a sort of rigid base? I also have some plastic tubing at home that I could use. Might not work, but I'll experiment and see how it goes.

Quote:
I use the extra long drawstring ponies, and they work so great!!

If all else fails I'll get something like this Laughing which, I'm thinking, I should've done in the first place instead of buying tie-on extensions.

I also have a question about my boots:

They're kind of scrunched up like this and curved at the top, so I'm not sure whether they're approvable? I have huge calves, inconvenient for boots Crying or Very sad but I might be able to get a pair tailored to my size so if these aren't acceptable I'll either do that or attempt to make it myself using white ankle boots as a base.
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anakinsandhater wrote:
So I went out and got actual pins, the big ones - not the magic grip ones because I couldn't find them anywhere, but I tried the buns again with the usual method and IT WORKED! Kinda.

That looks amazing! Great job! I really think the trick to getting the buns right is the bobby pin size/strength. You're definitely on the right track.

As for the boots, not being a judge, I can't say for sure but I don't think so? Leia's boots are straight across and don't have the angles but again, that's just my thought on it.
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the angles they look kinda short. Maybe you can alter them?

She/Her They/Them

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab96 wrote:
Also NEVER UNDERESTIMATE HOW MANY BOBBY PINS YOU WILL NEED.

I can corroborate, Leia Buns are the eaters of bobby pins. I wore mine again last night and had to scour the house to find more. But, those more open hair pin type are great if you are wearing a wig and make smaller anchor buns out of your own hair, they help distribute the weight!

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
anakinsandhater ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back!!

Real life has been crazy recently and then the friend who's making my dress went overseas for two months on a volunteer trip... but now she's back and almost done with my dress!

Collar hasn't been attached yet in this pic:

Right now it looks like this

She asks if she needs to add any stitching or elastic to secure the blousing at the waist because right now it's only being supported by the belt. Will I have to constantly pull up my dress during troops if I only rely on the belt?

The collar and hood looks like this from the back:

And the sleeves (they're not hemmed yet, though my friend is concerned about the stitches being visible?)

And the bottom of the skirt, which is also still not hemmed yet. Do the slits need to be higher or are they alright like this?

In the meantime, I had custom boots made and they look so much better than the first pair I got!

Aaaaand more bun questions... are these too small? Confused These extensions i bought don't seem to be as thick as the first ones i bought

I tried experimenting with the drawstring ponytails but aside from not having enough volume, there's this weird lump in the middle that I can't seem to... pull tight? Not sure how to explain
Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers ()
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome back! I do want to start off by saying I'm not a judge so my advice may not be 100% on the other hand I recently had my Senatorial Gown approved mid year so my judges tips and advice are still on my mind.....

Starting with the blousing: for my dress I took a strip of 1 1/2 inch non roll elastic and made a casing for it (basically a tube with one seam in the center) using the same fabric as my dress. This becomes an elastic belt that I wear under my leather one. I did this so I could adjust my blousing according to what boots I had on, and whatnot.

On to the sleeves: you have two options at this point in your dress's progress. One have your dress maker pin the sleeve seams together on the edge and carefully pull them out the unhemmed bottom, then sew them. I pulled mine through the opening in the top before the collar was attached. The second one which won't really look as screen accurate would be to fold under the seams and blind stich them. I this the method for my slits because I had to redo them, but the sleeves would be more seen than the slits.

On to the slits: we would need to see the dress on you with your boots on. The slits height location is dependent on your boots and knees, without those in the picture it's hard to say. Very Happy

On the buns: they look OK to me. Any way we could get a picture of you with them on and your head straight at the camera?

Question? How is your hood hemmed? And where did you get your boots? they are gorgeous!
LeiaAurora ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your hair looks great! One rule of thumb that I try to go by is that they must completely cover your ears. You never see Leia's ears (that I can recall) so I go by that. In fact, when I make the inner loop, I make sure it covers my ears completely before making the secondary loop.

Can we see a front facing shot? That would also help to see if the size is proportional to your face. Very Happy

The dress slits would be better to see with it on and the boots on. Depending on where those are, you can see if the slits need to be adjusted at all.

The middle stitching of the dress is optional if I'm not mistaken? I will tell you that you will probably do minor adjusting of the dress as you wear it just from moving around and taking photos etc.

Looking good so far though! Glad you're back at it.
Costume Mentor
anakinsandhater ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

For the blousing, I think I'll leave it be for the moment. If in the future I find that it doesn't stay up I can always add that elastic belt underneath the proper belt.

Since the dress isn't with me right now I asked my friend for the length of the split; she said they were 17cm which is definitely too short. For reference, I'm 5'1", and the length from just below my knee to the top of my ankle is 12in/30cm.
Are the slits are supposed to come up to just below the knee? I went to find more reference pictures and it looked like that to me.

The hood was hemmed by rolling the edges and stitching it down. She says she knows what to do for the sleeves so I'll leave her to it!

The bun was an old picture from the last time I tried them. They do cover my ears, and after looking at a bunch of pictures I realised her bun size varies a lot depending on the scene or photoshoot lol! But yeah I'll try them on again tomorrow and take more pictures Smile

Another concern - is it a huge issue if the dress is... bone-white? In the store the fabric looked white white, maybe it's the lighting in my friend's room, but it looked just slightly off white to me. On that note, how should I properly care for the dress when washing it? To my knowledge I shouldn't risk bleaching this kind of material, so... what if there's an accident Shocked

Anyway thanks again for the help everyone! I'm so excited to finally be able to send in my application soon, I've been in touch with my local base + 501st garrison and I got to help them out as a minder! Mr. Green
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely progress. Smile

Regarding the dress and the two layers, the dress should be self-lined aka the two layers should be stitched together right sides, seams pressed, dress turned inside out, then pressed again to get the seams nice and flat. Smile That way there will be no visible stitching as it will all be sandwiched inside the dress.

I'd recommend gathering the fabric around your waist under the belt to keep it from sliding and needing constant readjusting. The originals did have some kind of gathering going on under the belt though you can't see exactly what due to the blousing and belt covering it.

The first bun looks best as it doesn't have the lump, but as others have said we'd also need a straight on photo to really judge it.

Keep going; you are getting there.

She/Her They/Them

anakinsandhater ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Progress has been slow because of school and stuff. Updates:

The dress is 99% done, bottom needs to be hemmed. Hopefully all is okay with it? The slits seem a little short but it's actually the angle of the photo + my legs are short so they do actually go up to just below my knees.

The seams at the sleeve edges are also a bit wrinkly, i'll need to press them.

Really hope everything is okay with it!

Also, about the buns. The extensions i used in the previous post look like this from the front:

And I thought they were a little small. I tried to combine these with the drawstring ponytails but then it looked like a big fluffy monster was eating my head.

So I purchased yet another set of extensions:

I think I need to twist them tighter!

Next week I will experiment with adding extensions to the drawstring ponytails to make an insta-bun, since my previous attempts at making an insta bun haven't been successful. In the meantime I think I've gotten in enough practice with the looks kanekalon extensions so I'll probably just use those for now and hope they don't get tangled too soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: