Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ea473cc6286a7189573575c8f57c7ab2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia bun help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Leia bun help Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I got my Leia costume approved a few months ago by wearing buns that attach to my hair with combs, but when I wore them out to a troop, they kept falling off or drooping down on my head. After thinking about it, I decided I should try using my own hair to make the buns.

I got some kanekalon hair in a shade close to my hair color, but when I tried to do the buns the last few times I practiced, I couldn't make the buns big or full enough. The kanekalon hair was also very frizzy, so overall it just didn't look right.

I also found this tutorial, but I'm having trouble getting my hair to look like how hers looks in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqZQZ-YX9H4

If anyone has any tips for me, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
rab96 (Becca)
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I don't know what type of kanekalon hair you got but I got a smoother one than the normal frizzier type and it worked a lot better for me than the original. I was able to order it from eBay relatively cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201816930741?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=501849757781&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Also try using invisible hair nets that you can pick up from Sally's beauty, or any beauty store, over your buns and just add a few more bobby pins to fasten them in.

That worked pretty well for me last time, the kanekalon hair can take a bit of practice as well. I know it takes me a few tries before I get the twisting just right.

-Becca Leia Buns
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Becca said! The hairnets do tone the frizz down quite a bit. I also sprayed my kanekalon buns down with hairspray.
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some hair nets that I could use the next time I do my buns. Do you know how I could make the buns themselves bigger? Every time I've tried this, they're much too small. They barely cover my ears.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! I use my own hair for Leia and have some tips for you.

First, use damp hair! It holds on to the Kanekalon a lot better when wet and twists more easily. I followed Kailey's (?) tutorial but changed a few things. I found these great pins at Sally's Beauty and they have been a lifesaver.

https://www.amazon.com/Magic-Hair-Good-Days-Color/dp/B0041TDMZ6/ref=lp_3029753011_1_1_a_it?srs=3029753011&ie=UTF8&qid=1492532977&sr=8-1

I used to use upwards of 10-15 per bun of regular bobby pins but with these, I only need 3-4 total per side. They hold the hair really well!

I twist the first coil so its long enough to cover my ears, if that makes sense? Then I coil the remaining hair much looser to give it the volume necessary. I then spray it with hair spray and, if its an outdoor event, use the hair nets others have suggested.

Hope this helps you!

Community Member of the Year 2019
PR/Social Media Team for RL Strategic Command & Rogue Detachments
Costume Mentor
In progress/submitted: Cloud City Leia, Vice Admiral Holdo, Cara Dune, Clone Cadet
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
rab96 (Becca)
Blue Ridge Base CO
Blue Ridge Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get the buns fuller, I normally do a more loose twist for the base and go tighter on the next round. And once I have them pinned down, I pull on them a tad to get them fuller.

Also, I do my hair dry unlike LeiaAurora, I have naturally wavy hair so if you're anything like me all your hair will do when it dries is curl up and FRIZZ lol.

Also, my favorite bobby pins! http://www.sallybeauty.com//premium-bob-pins/SBS-792024,default,pd.html

I'd be up for throwing a video tutorial together for you, if you think that may help?

-Becca Leia Buns
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rab96 wrote:
To get the buns fuller, I normally do a more loose twist for the base and go tighter on the next round. And once I have them pinned down, I pull on them a tad to get them fuller.

Also, I do my hair dry unlike LeiaAurora, I have naturally wavy hair so if you're anything like me all your hair will do when it dries is curl up and FRIZZ lol.

Also, my favorite bobby pins! http://www.sallybeauty.com//premium-bob-pins/SBS-792024,default,pd.html

I'd be up for throwing a video tutorial together for you, if you think that may help?

-Becca Leia Buns

A video would be very helpful! I work better when I see what I'm supposed to do rather than just reading it, which is why I included a link to the other tutorial I'd been trying to follow. Thank you for offering to do another tutorial!
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question for everyone: what's a good length kanekalon to use? Mine is about 40" when folded in half, but I feel like it's still too short and I don't know if longer kanekalon hair is even available. (My buns came out much too small when I followed the video tutorial I linked to in my original post.)

Do any of you have tips for me? Is there longer hair out there that I just haven't come across yet? Thanks!
plushie (Shana Rich)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the extensions I like using for my buns. I like the fullness of them, they are lightweight, and were easy to shape into a bun and cover with a hairnet. They've held for me pretty well for 5 years now.

1 per bun does the trick.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/kanekalon-jumbo-braid/SASSY7,default,pd.html?list=Home%7cHair%7cHair%20Extensions#start=1
RLGS, RLSC

https://www.gofundme.com/a2e82f-psychiatric-service-dog-help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: