Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd9d8337a30dea178c9b4d461fe002feMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH / ESB Han Solo WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Interesting...

Thanks for the detailed side-by-side.

The man himself! Very Happy

Glad you found it helpful.

Hmm, I should probably break that out into it's own post, so people can find it easier, as opposed to being buried in my WIP thread. Might reach a larger audience.

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a good idea. I think it is always helpful for people to see the difference between two different offerings.

Would you mind if I used your images/findings on a live stream. It might be interesting to others. Plus, I may weigh in on what I think. Wink
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazylegsmurphy wrote:
Might be a good idea. I think it is always helpful for people to see the difference between two different offerings.

Would you mind if I used your images/findings on a live stream. It might be interesting to others. Plus, I may weigh in on what I think. Wink

Go for it. Just mention where they came from, if you don't mind. Smile

My standalone thread is up, in case you want to reference that one instead:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=947595
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quiet on this thread's front, sorry about that. As an update:

My ESB pants are done being upgraded, as I posted above, my ESB shirt should hopefully be ok (I want to move one of the snaps the CosplaySky installed so the flap "hangs" better, otherwise I think it's good).

My ESB jacket, however, is with a local tailor, being worked on. I'm spending a fair amount on it. CosplaySky has refunded me $30 to help offset this, but it's still costing a good chunk more than that. According to my tailor (who has 40 years experience), the problem isn't so much FIT (the basic measurements are relatively accurate to those I provided them), as the PATTERN ITSELF is not very good. Specifically, the way they've attached the sleeves to the body is not good pattern drafting. As a result, I can't raise my arms forward well without the fabric pulling tightly against my biceps.

The good news is the tailor believes she can fix it, although it's a fair amount of work to completely remove both sleeves and reattach them in a slightly different way. Supposedly the jacket should be ready tomorrow, so fingers crossed! Updates soon, because once the jacket is fixed (and I move that one snap closure), I should be able to take submission photos. Smile

Meanwhile, I suppose that should serve as a warning to those planning to buy CosplaySky's ESB outfit: There are problems with the base jacket pattern (in terms of fitting people, not the screen accuracy of the basic design). So budget for extra tailoring! Fortunately, given how stupendously cheap it all is, even with the extra tailoring, it should be worthwhile. As long as it's actually fixable, which again, I'll know tomorrow.

SIDE NOTE RE MY WIG:

I've had a couple of inquiries about my wig. (As you can see in my sig file photo below, my normal haircut isn't exactly a dead ringer for Han Solo, LOL)

Unfortunately, I can only give a limited amount of help on the matter, unless you happen to be in the Los Angeles area. I bought my wig at a local wig shop. There was a tag with a brand name when I bought it, but I can't recall what it was, and the paper tag is no longer attached, of course.

It's essentially a high end synthetic hair (not human) wig. Beyond that, I can't tell you much more about it. I had it styled by a professional wig stylist (who worked out of that same shop).

If I find myself at that shop again at some point (it's not super close to home, so it's not a regular trip for me), I'll see if I can determine more about the wig, so perhaps others could find one like it online somewhere.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacket came back from the tailor. MUCH better. Not 100% perfect, IMO. I might upgrade at some point. But I'm reasonably happy with it for the moment.

I moved the snap on the shirt so the flaps lay better, and submitted my costume! It's in the judge's hands now...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
SIDE NOTE RE MY WIG:

I've had a couple of inquiries about my wig. (As you can see in my sig file photo below, my normal haircut isn't exactly a dead ringer for Han Solo, LOL)

Unfortunately, I can only give a limited amount of help on the matter, unless you happen to be in the Los Angeles area. I bought my wig at a local wig shop. There was a tag with a brand name when I bought it, but I can't recall what it was, and the paper tag is no longer attached, of course.

It's essentially a high end synthetic hair (not human) wig. Beyond that, I can't tell you much more about it. I had it styled by a professional wig stylist (who worked out of that same shop).

If I find myself at that shop again at some point (it's not super close to home, so it's not a regular trip for me), I'll see if I can determine more about the wig, so perhaps others could find one like it online somewhere.

Just to close out this line of discussion, since I had my wig out today to shoot the ESB costume, I took another look and realized there ARE still some tags in the wig. So hopefully this helps someone looking for something similar:

The synthetic hair was made in Japan, per the other side of the label.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update.

My ESB Han Solo application was acknowledged on Sunday (6/25) and I got the approval email this morning (6/27). I had originally submitted the application on 6/17, so this round only took 10 days. MUCH faster than my original ANH application. Woohoo! Very Happy

I guess it's time to start working on my TFA Han Solo now. Wink I guess I'll need a new wig for that one, though. And I want to actually hand make the belt for this one...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: