Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f69bc72c7a4d198f04475fe5b70e74a7Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH / ESB Han Solo WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Dammit I was at S&V on Saturday. Would have been cool to meet you.

Come next time they have a 501st night. Smile I'll be back... hopefully. I also have one more ticket I need to use before the run ends. (even though it was just extended)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this morning, I was approved. Smile

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&a=14705

Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx! Took one day shy of a month. Good to know when I'm ready to submit for ESB. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats kman! Looks great! Trying to sort my ESB Han as well. How's the Anovos greeblies? I'm awaiting my holster from them and waiting for Hessen to have more of their boots in stock. Now just gotta look for a screen accurate wig and blaster. Where did u get your wig?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drazn wrote:
Congrats kman! Looks great! Trying to sort my ESB Han as well. How's the Anovos greeblies? I'm awaiting my holster from them and waiting for Hessen to have more of their boots in stock. Now just gotta look for a screen accurate wig and blaster. Where did u get your wig?

Thx! The Anovos greeblies are decent. Especially since you're going ESB.

For ANH, the Anovos ANH cylinder (which I've only seen pictures of) seems to be a relatively crappy plastic copy in the right shape, and not quite the right color, IMO, compared to the real naturally weathered vintage cylinders. Since I have a real vintage canister that IS 100% correct, I'm considerably less than impressed with theirs. The ANH white "power cell" bits are hard to say... perhaps they're more accurate, perhaps not. They're plastic with thin plastic protrusions on top, so I remain much more pleased with my milled aluminum ones, but the Anovos ones are certainly cheaper.

The ESB kit I bought was mostly because I wanted to see the 3-prong piece. For the radiator part, I already have the actual Revell model part originally used, and it's much more silver than the light gray color in the Anovos part, which otherwise seems accurately molded. I think the silver color is more accurate, but I couldn't swear to it. The 3rd part is the Lego looking piece which isn't even there for much of the movie, so it's not required for RL, and no one know what the original was, so we sort of have to take Anovos' word for it on that one.

Looking at the Anovos 3-prong part, I'm inclined to agree with speculation that it looks just a balanced mic cable connector, although the real thing is probably more robust than Anovos' plastic replica. I'll use the Anovos one for now, but will probably keep an eye out for a cheap mic cable that has the right look, and swap that in, since it'll be so much stronger.

My wig I bought from a local SoCal wig shop, and their on site stylist (who specializes in wigs) cut and styled it for me. It was actually originally intended to protray another character, but Han's haircut is nothing fancy, so fortunately it works for him as well.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been a bit busy of late. I have a new wee one in the house. So the duties of new fatherhood have impacted my costuming life ... some. Wink More below!

I did upgrade my brown CosplaySky pants for eventual submission, taking in the excess fabric, fixing the seams and affixing the embroidered yellow blood stripes, pretty much the same as I did for the ANH pants. Except these pants actually have an accurate riding seam! So that's awesome. Smile

Pintuck:

Riding seam!

Embroidered stripes:

Relevant to my earlier post, I took some side-by-side shots of the Anovos radiator part compared to the actual Revell model part. As you can see, the color is definitely a bit different. Otherwise, the two parts are pretty identical. (The Revell is more silver, the Anovos is more putty colored)

More to come. I'm breaking up several updates into multiple posts, just for ease of reference, rather than one mega post.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I appear to have gone and done something rash: I bought the Anovos Han Solo belt kit. There was a sale and a coupon involved, and ultimately I decided to jump on it. I have to say I'm impressed with how fast it shipped! Anovos has never sent me anything remotely that fast, in the past.

I'll see about doing a detailed comparison to the Todd's Costume belt when I have time, along with some more detailed shots of the greeblies, since I have the whole collection now. (all 3 OT movies)

Initial impressions:

Anovos certainly wins big on the packaging, for those who are into that. They have done a very nice job, as I'd expect from them by now. Todd's belt pretty much came in a big brown box, not that any of this makes a lick of difference once you're wearing the belts.

The Anovos weathering is not as extensive as pictured on the website prototype photos, but it's definitely nice. I'll likely copy some of what they did to my Todd's belt, which is pretty new looking by comparison. Simply from a 5 foot away visual standpoint, I'd give the nod to Anovos, visually.

The buckles are very nice, but not nicer than Todd's: pretty much a draw, visually. BUT the Anovos belt is much more adjustable, in terms of sizing (due to extra hidden snaps on the inside of the belt), and the front/back buckles can be swapped easily, unlike Todd's, to reconfigure for a particular movie.

The "hook" hardware, on the other hand, for the holster is MUCH nicer (beefier) on Todd's than Anovos. The Anovos actually seems thin and flimsy by comparison. I feel like I could accidentally bend the Anovos hooks. Notsomuch for Todd's.

I don't know whether the leather on Todd's belt is simply better quality, or simply less "dried out" (maybe some leather conditioner can help?), but the Todd's Costumes belt and holster definitely feels thicker, more supple, and again, less dried out. Particularly the belt pouches. The Anovos pouches are really thin, and seem almost like they're a bit at risk of tearing.

So there's my mini review, for the time being. More to come later, including some actual detailed comparison photos.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I wrote up a big post on my recent side track involving my son, but ultimately I decided it makes more sense for it to be in it's own thread.

So if you want to see all about the Han Solo outfit I made for my newborn son, you can read all about here, instead:

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=86258

Enjoy! Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you said that about the Anovos belt as I was almost going to buy one and sell on my Todd's belt. I think I'll just have to suck it up and buy a 3rd (2nd Todd's belt) belt for my ANH Han when I get around to finishing it and keep my Todd's ESB belt. I think trying to put together all 3 versions at the same time was not a good idea haha.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huggz121 wrote:
I'm glad you said that about the Anovos belt as I was almost going to buy one and sell on my Todd's belt. I think I'll just have to suck it up and buy a 3rd (2nd Todd's belt) belt for my ANH Han when I get around to finishing it and keep my Todd's ESB belt. I think trying to put together all 3 versions at the same time was not a good idea haha.

There are definitely things I like about the Anovos belts. I love that the hardware can be reconfigured to any of the three (four?) movies. Todd's can't be changed so easily... I think that was a huge mistake in Todd's design, because there's no reason it had to be done that way.

I'm pretty slammed today at work, but I took a bunch of photos last night, comparing the two side by side, and I hope to post them today if I have time. (else by tomorrow for sure)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing them. Trouble I have is that I already have the Todd's ESB belt and have customised another belt to be as close to screen accurate to the RotJ belt as it isn't the same as the others or less similar should I say. So I think my best option would be to buy/make another. Anyway look forward to seeing the pics.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, here is the comparison between Todd's Costume's Han Solo holster, and the Anovos Han Solo holster.

Note: The ANH greeblies you'll see are mine, not the ones that came with the Anovos belt. I have not yet opened those. Mine are discussed MUCH earlier in this thread. The droid caller, however, is the Anovos droid caller. Both of them. (One I already owned from some time ago, and the second came with the Anovos belt kit)

Needless to say which is which? The Anovos has the weathering, and is much more brown/tan compared to the noticeably more reddish Todd's leather finish. (to which I have not yet added any weathering)

Left belt (wearer's perspective). Note the difference in weathering, slightly different shape to the button pockets, and wildly different placement of the droid caller mount. I feel the Anovos clip is way too far forward, personally. It does work, but given a choice, I'd take the Todd's approach. Note I have not yet yet looked at my reference photos to see which is more accurate, however. From a "wearability" perspective, the end hardware is flipped: The Todd's clip is open towards the front. The Anovos slip is open towards the body. This actually makes the Todd's belt MUCH easier to clip onto the buckle's back hoop, because the Anovos one has to be contorted a bit to get it in position to catch. Hard to explain, but really obvious as you're trying to put the damn thing on. Both are fine once you're wearing them, however.

Right Belt (wearer's perspective). These two are much closer, although there are still some differences. The Anovos pockets are spread out a bit more, and end much closer to the disc as a result. The Anovos disc is a bit taller than the Todd's disc. The 4th (usually unused) pocket has a bit of a different shape to it. Not really easy to see is how incredibly thin the Anovos pockets are, and how dry and papery the leather pockets feel. I really worried about tearing them, just by putting in the greeblies! The thread used to stitch on the pockets is pretty white on the Todd's, but a bit of colored weathering would knock that down nicely.

The thinner pocket leather is visible here ... but much more dramatically different in "feel" than the appearance would suggest:

Here's the back of the same right side belt, showing the stitching. Quite similar, overall, despite the minor differences. The buckles are nearly identical, although the hoop size is a little tighter on the Todd's, especially on the front buckle, which is why it's nearly impossible to swap configurations. (note I said nearly... more on that later) Also note the extra rows of male snaps on the Anovos belt. This allows more size customization, unlike Todd's.

Holsters: The two holsters are pretty close, but again, there are differences. The blaster cutout has a subtle difference that affects how some blasters fit into the holster. And the retention strap is mounted in a slightly different place, which affects how it lays across the blaster. The difference in weathering is quite obvious here. Todd's holster is slightly more squared off where it runs from the barrel down the front to under the magazine compartment... I think it's a little wider. Again, this might affect the fit of some blasters.

The holster back is quite similar, again, although you can see the cut of the Y drop is a little more generous on the Todd's belt. You can also see the extra snaps on the Anovos version, again, allowing for some extra size customization. You'll note the keyhole connector is quite similar on both. I haven't tried, but I have a strong suspicion that I could mix and match parts between the two, if I was inclined. (and if the leathers were a closer match)

Speaking of the connecting hardware: Above I mentioned how thin the metal connecting hardware is on the Anovos. This photo shows it pretty clearly. Again, though, the difference is much more dramatic to the hand than the eye. I'm sure both are plenty strong, but I feel the risk of accidentally bending the Anovos hardware is MUCH higher than the Todd's hardware.

The holster front cap: One difference worth pointing out: The cap (front plug?) on the tip of the Anovos holster is actually pretty bad. The Todd's cap is recessed as it should be. The Anovos cap sticks out entirely, showing the raw edge of the leather all the way around. This bugs me quite a bit, personally.

Blaster fit: My Denix-based ESB and AW airsoft ANH blasters both fit into either holster, although there is a slight difference in how the snap for the retention strap is pushed out.

ANH AW Airsoft in Todd's holster:

ESB Denix in Todd's holster:

ANH AW Airsoft in Anovos holster:

ESB Denix in Anovos holster: (note that front cap, ugh)

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for those photo's it's convinced me that, although the Anovos holster is nice, I think with a bit of weathering and attention to my Todd's holster its capable of looking as good as the Anovos appearance. I do get what your saying about the cap though and for $500 you'd expect a slightly better finish but it has been weather beautifully so I guess it's a minor point. I do however prefer the placement of the droid caller on the Anovos belt which is closer to how the screen version looks but again that's a minor note. Overall it's good to see them side by side Smile So once again thanks for the post Smile
Crazylegsmurphy ()

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

Thanks for the detailed side-by-side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: