Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9623dd7ff150901ae1cec54e7cde7a77Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH / ESB Han Solo WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
Quote:
Think it's about ready for some submission photos, to get that process started?

I would say you're pretty close. Really some nice improvements!! The pants look MUCH better with the embroidered stripes. Only a couple of issues I can see that may be problematic:

1) The riding seam in the pants should run down the center of the leg all the way down to the pant cuff. This one looks like it curves inward at a certain point, which is not really correct. That said, if you have the pintuck, embroidered stripes and zipperless boots, you don't need the riding seam for formal approval.

2) Something weird is going on with the channel loops on the back of the vest. Not quite sure what's up there without being able to se it in person, but they should be a rounded loop. Maybe you could put some interfacing or stiff felt in them to get them to hold the proper shape? Hard to say, but those look off.

Everything else I think looks pretty good. I would agree the shirt is probably fine like it is, especially knowing that it's just a placeholder shirt. Not worth putting a lot of work into it, but the overall fit of it looks much better now. The fit of the vest looks great too!!

Nice job!

Thanks!

Yes, you're right about the riding seam, but as you said, it'll do. On my list is to make (or have made) an accurate pair, out of actual denim, but I think this suffices to get me through the gate.

I'm actually about to order a new shirt from Khloe's Custom on Etsy. It's not as accurate as the Correllian Dry Goods shirt, but it's much better than what I have, and $50 saved is $50. (let alone the price of the Magnoli shirt!)

As for the vest, Ichnob is correct, the loops are just flat from being squished during shipping, and sitting packed tight in a bin for the past several month while I worked on other costumes. They folded them oddly-precisely during shipment so they look kind of odd, I agree, but there's nothing actually wrong with them once you straighten them out. Some ironing and starch will bring the loops out no problem, and I might add in some iron-in interfacing to help, at some point. Otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with the vest for now.

Great to hear the feedback, thank you. Smile I actually have a free evening (tho we'll see what my wife has to say about that) so I hope to be able to pull out my green screen and lighting, and shoot some actual submission photos tonight. Assuming them come out ok, I'll get submitted in the next day or so and hope the judges agree. Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, LATE last night, I finally took some submission photos and sent in the formal application. Fingers crossed!

And getting ready for the second submission (assuming all goes well with the first?), I got a nice little surprise in the mail today:

Why yes, that is part of the carburetor for the Revell Visible V8 motor model engine kit. Smile

ESB Han Solo is on track! I dunno if I mentioned, given CosplaySky's ridiculous sale prices, I could not resist, and pulled the trigger on their ESB kit. I'm sure it will need some upgrades, too, but as long as their on the simple side as the ANH Solo was, I think this second Solo variant should be within my sights soon, too. Smile
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Kman! Your wig is insane! Saw you talking about this on FB and was like wait he is bald! You look awesome! Im finally getting going on this path I've had the vest for a year.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackyck wrote:
Yeah Kman! Your wig is insane! Saw you talking about this on FB and was like wait he is bald! You look awesome! Im finally getting going on this path I've had the vest for a year.

Thanks, man! Yeah, that wig was worth every penny. Bought it for one costume, originally, but it's been versatile enough to do for at least 4 so far. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My application was just acknowledged as received and being reviewed, so that's progress, at least. Smile Fingers remain crossed...

Meanwhile, my CosplaySky order of my ESB Han Solo costume just arrived. I haven't had a chance to put it all on yet but the jacket looks pretty good, I think, and the pants look just like a brown version (yellow stripes) of the blue pants, so they should be fine as long as they fit. I might take in the legs a little to make them fit more streamlined, as I did with the ANH pant, assuming everything else is good. I can't really tell how the shirt it until I try it on, so we'll see soon! I ordered the real embroidered yellow blood stripes from the same eBay vendor I bought the red blood stripes from, which should arrive shortly as well.

Oh, and last but not least, Anovos is selling Han Solo belt greeblies now, which is super handy. Ironically, my ANH greeblies are WAY nicer than theirs (since I'm using an actual accurate vintage soda canister and theirs is just plastic, and the white boxes are CNC aluminum while again theirs are just plastic replicas), and as I posted above, I have the ACTUAL Revell model part for the carburetor piece, but their ESB kit includes the other two bits which are harder to get accurately, so that really wraps up my belt needs nicely. Smile

Moving right along!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep wondering why he only has one carburetor piece in his pocket. I'm debating about getting this, because my kit certainly doesn't come with the elongated piece, and it might be nice to have a back up of the Stomach McStabby piece in case my Etsy one ever gets lost.

Still debating if I want to upgrade to the Anovos kobold replica or splurge for a Dark Energy Creations one. But that can come later.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
I keep wondering why he only has one carburetor piece in his pocket. I'm debating about getting this, because my kit certainly doesn't come with the elongated piece, and it might be nice to have a back up of the Stomach McStabby piece in case my Etsy one ever gets lost.

Still debating if I want to upgrade to the Anovos kobold replica or splurge for a Dark Energy Creations one. But that can come later.

It should be interesting to compare the Anovos carb to the Revell one. They look pretty similar, but the plastic looks a slightly different color in the Anovos photo. That's a good point, though, I suppose it's good to have a spare just in case I lose one. So a bonus score. Smile

The DEC droid caller is just stupid expensive. The Anovos one is quite nice. I got mine on special at a Con before they even were released widely, so it was definitely worth the discounted price. Definitely better than the resin copies, not to mention more durable. The only real issue I have with it is it's missing the little brass connector inside the top. You are rarely at an angle to actually see that connector, so I'm not too bothered. I'll fake a little part in there at some point... or perhaps dmachinist will finally let my buy the one spare piece (I've been asking for a year, grr) to complete mine.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few initial pics of the CosplaySky ESB getup.

Initial thoughts:

The pants actually have a legit riding seam! They seem to have changed their construction slightly from the ANH pants. There is a seam down the front, too, so I think the pintuck seam may be covered as well. I just need to cover the screen-printed stripes with embroidered and I should be in business! Actually I still want to take in the legs a bit to thin them down and adjust the stirrups... as you can see, they're quite bunchy in these pics, although I was in a hurry and didn't spend ANY time smoothing them, just crammed my boots on and took the pics. Hey, it was late.

The shirt is thicker material than I expected. Quite nice, actually. Sort of a cotton/linen blend. It's slightly off-white, but photographs nicely white, so should be good. I may need to shorten the sleeves a bit... I need to study some ESB reference pics to see how long (and tight) they should be. That's nice and simple, fortunately.

I'm quite happy with the color of the jacket... it's actually a grayish blue. (bluish gray?) The pockets appear to be accurate but I need to check some more. The cut, on the other hand. It's not a perfect fit. The arms are a little snug. And there's a little pucker on one shoulder seam. I may end up seeing what a tailor can do. It's not terrible, though, so I may just live with it, or make adjustments down the road.

So all that said, here are some really terrible selfies from the bathroom mirror.

Front, showing shirt:

Side, showing shirt and stripes:

Front, with jacket:

Left side with jacket:

Right side with jacket:

A bit closer up:

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embroidered stripes for the brown pants finally came today. So hopefully in the next few days I can get to work on upgrading those pants, and have this one ready to wear, too. Smile

I think I want to add a snap or two to the ESB Solo shirt, too.

Still waiting for word from the judges on the ANH submission. The submission has been acknowledged (4/27, afternoon), but nothing since then, yet. Of course, it's only been 4 days (since the ack), and two of those were weekend days, so I suppose that's understandable, since I have a life, too. Wink

Any feedback on what I have posted so far?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard for me to tell from the photos, but it does look like your shirt has a placket. Tough to tell, but the third photo makes it visible, or at least the stitch line showing that there should be one. I don't know if you have to change anything with the shirt fit, since you'd be wearing it with a jacket the majority of the time (unless you're planning to get shackles for the Carbonite scene).

I don't know what kind of closure system the CosplaySky shirt has, but I have some small clear snaps on my shirt. I have one on the inside, and 3 on the edge where the shirt opens (one where the flap folds over, one at the bottom corner of the placket, and one below that but above the belt so it doesn't undo itself as I sit down. So far, there isn't a lot of puffiness from the gaps between the snaps. So adding one or two for extra security or making sure the corners flip over where you want them to flip is a good idea. Hemming the sleeves a little more also won't hurt if it's to your preference.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
It's hard for me to tell from the photos, but it does look like your shirt has a placket. Tough to tell, but the third photo makes it visible, or at least the stitch line showing that there should be one. I don't know if you have to change anything with the shirt fit, since you'd be wearing it with a jacket the majority of the time (unless you're planning to get shackles for the Carbonite scene).

I don't know what kind of closure system the CosplaySky shirt has, but I have some small clear snaps on my shirt. I have one on the inside, and 3 on the edge where the shirt opens (one where the flap folds over, one at the bottom corner of the placket, and one below that but above the belt so it doesn't undo itself as I sit down. So far, there isn't a lot of puffiness from the gaps between the snaps. So adding one or two for extra security or making sure the corners flip over where you want them to flip is a good idea. Hemming the sleeves a little more also won't hurt if it's to your preference.

If placket means the front panel that crosses in the front and have the fold down "flaps" going both directions at the top, atop the chest area, then yes? It has a panel on the front. There is a seam lower on the shirt were it is attached that runs across the front of the shirt. I'll try to take a better photo later, of just the shirt laying flat.

Yes, the shirt has some small clear snaps that hold the panel in place. I don't like them much... they feel cheap, not super-well-attached, and frankly grip too hard making me afraid I'm going to tear something (or them off) when I unbutton them! I was thinking of replacing them with some simpler silver (metal!) pop snaps (sew on surface mount) that I've used on other costumes. They wouldn't be visible anyway so I'm not sure why they need to be transparent.

Along these lines:

http://www.joann.com/dritz-sew-on-snaps-nickel-plated-various-sizes/prd3156.html#q=snaps&start=5

The shirt seems to fit pretty well, as long as the sleeve length is ok. (still haven't had a chance to research that)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those would work, too. Clear was more of a personal choice for me, because I wanted to be extra sure no one would see how the shirt actually closes in just a passing glance. I don't see any trouble or problems with using those snaps you linked since you'd do them properly.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Those would work, too. Clear was more of a personal choice for me, because I wanted to be extra sure no one would see how the shirt actually closes in just a passing glance. I don't see any trouble or problems with using those snaps you linked since you'd do them properly.

I don't actually have an objection in principle to clear snaps, I just worry about durability (broken plastic sucks) and don't care for the actual snaps they used which just seem "rough". Since I need to attach them better anyway, I figured I may as well replace them with nicer ones that have smoother function. And yes, of course I would be careful to place them where they can't be seen. Smile

As long as the general cut of the shirt is good, I think this ESB setup should come together quickly! I think I'm going to take the jacket to a tailor and see what they can do to tweak the fit (and that one shoulder) a bit, and I should be good to submit, I think. (Once I sew on the embroidered stripes, that is)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some toys in the mail today from Anovos. The ESB belt greeblies.

Not too shabby. Definitely the Revell piece is a slightly different color plastic. I'll take a pic side by side when I get home.

The "mic connector" piece (as I think of it) with the three prongs is interesting. I think the prongs are just tubes wrapped over plastic studs, so they're probably not extremely robust. It's almost definitely thicker than the soda cylinder in the ANH belt (I'll know for sure when I get home to compare) so it'll be interesting figuring out if the two configurations can easily be swapped back and forth in the same belt.

Attractive packaging:

Definitely well protected plastic bits!

Everything has "Anovos" molded into it. A little annoying, but at least you can't see it when they're in the belt pockets, so not a huge issue.

The back of the carburetor part is a closed panel. Different from the original piece of course, and not a problem since it's not visible in the belt. But interesting.

Not easy to see, but the metal prongs appear to be simple sleeves on a plastic base of some sort.

Had fun debuting my ANH Solo at the Scum & Villainy Cantina on Monday evening. People were impressed with the outfit, so that's fun. Smile Definitely a step above the other far less accurate ones that were there. (How are those CostumeBase wide striped pants still being sold???)

I don't like how tall that collar is. Fortunately my new shirt just came in from Khloe today, complete with a shorter collar! It's also a lot creamier in color than the white one I had before, which is better. Here's hoping it fits me ok! I'll re-shoot photos with the new shirt if the judges need me to, but I hope I get word of approval soon...

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dammit I was at S&V on Saturday. Would have been cool to meet you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: