Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=89e206df9d78736cfa17ff51d03beb88Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH / ESB Han Solo WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: ANH / ESB Han Solo WIP Reply with quote

This will be an ongoing project that will evolve over time, but I think I have enough bits and pieces together to start this a WIP thread now. I've been collecting for some time, so this is going to be kinda long. Smile

ANH CRL: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/han-solo-episode-iv/
ESB CRL: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/han-solo-episode-v/

THE PLAN:

I want to do both ANH and ESB Han. Maybe TFA at some point, too, but that's heavily dependent on finding commercial pants that work, and boots. If I can get boots that work for both Han and my Jedi, I may go for TFA, else I'll probably stick to ANH and ESB. (I already own the correct boots for my 501st Officer, so that's an easy one to check off)

I'm starting with ANH, as it's my favorite and was easiest to collect bits for. I'm on the fence about where to get the soft parts for ESB: Anovos (if they ever get them in stock again), or other? Black-leatherjacket.com has a pretty nice ESB jacket that's very reasonable, but that wouldn't help me with the pants or shirt.

https://www.black-leatherjacket.com/star-wars-han-solo-empire-strikes-back-jacket

There are some Etsy vendors who custom make the jackets, but they're really pricey. And I don't want to spend anything approaching Magnoli levels on this, drool-worthy though their stuff may be.

Now, those who know me, know I shave my head bald, but fortunately I own a very good wig that I use for a number of Cosplay costumes, and which should be fine for this costume, I believe.

I'll go over the CRL point by point, in order:

The Vest:

Quote:
1. Black twill vest with 4 channels/loops at the back yoke, 1 large back pocket and 4 front pockets; the upper right pocket must have quarter moon shape in the upper right corner, with a smaller rectangular pocket on top of the larger pocket. Vest should be waist length

CosplaySky had a super cheap sale so I picked up their ANH vest. It's well known that it's too long, but I'm hoping it can be modified easily enough to pass. The fabric is good, and the pocket configuration appears to be correct. If I just cut off the bottom edge (about 2"), it's about the right length. Thoughts? Will it pass? It does seem to hit all the required elements listed in the CRL, in terms of pockets, etc. ( I have it pinned up in the photos at the bottom of this post, so you can see how long it will be without impacting the pockets)

The Shirt:

Quote:
2. White or cream color long-sleeve shirt with placket v-neck and short mandarin collar

This has been a headache. I pre-ordered the supposedly hyper-accurate shirt fro Todd's Costumes, but as people probably know, he got burned by his vendor, so I'm still waiting on that with no resolution in sight. Until that's resolved, I'm reluctant to spend big bucks on a custom-made shirt by another vendor.

I found an expensive vendor on eBay that sells ANH shirts that might be good enough, and picked one up. They're definitely not perfectly ideal, but I've seen RL Han Solos with much worse, so hopefully it will pass? It does seem to hit all the required elements listed in the CRL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351743264679?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=620683145799&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Pants:

Quote:
3. Dark blue or navy pocketless pants with accurate red Corellian bloodstripes

The ANH pants were easy. GOOD pants are proving more difficult. I have had no luck finding pants without pockets, short of purpose-made costuming stuff that's either really cheap (and shows it) or really expensive.

But CosplaySky had pants on sale at one point, cheap enough that I picked them up. They're not terrible. The stripes are actually correct looking, although silk-screened instead of embroidered. (unlike those god-awful wide stripes at CostumeBase and others) They have something like a riding seam in back, but no pin tuck seam in front, but that's easy enough to add (I think). They're blue polyester, not the cotton denim I'd prefer, but I think they meet the posted standards. I also bought the nice genuine embroidered stripes on eBay, to add over the silk-screened stripes. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hope-Smuggler-Pants-Embroidered-Side-stripes-Solo-/271969740770?hash=item3f52a8e7e2:g:mcMAAOSwu4BV33tP I'm not sure whether that's an immediate requirement to pass, or something I can just upgrade later.

The Pants Belt

Quote:
4. Black leather belt punctured entirely with rows of three holes and a two-prong buckle

I have the accurate Todd's Costumes pants belt. Leather, 3-hole belt with 2 prong buckle. Should be 100% good to go.

The Boots:

Quote:
5. Black equestrian-type knee-high boots. (leather or leather-look; no laces)

Easy pass, here. I spent the big bucks on Hessen Antiques boots for my Imperial Officer, and Han wears the same boots.

The Gun Belt:

Quote:
6. Accurate leather gunbelt and buckles with capped holster, correct tools and proper droid caller

I have every intention of making my own belt and holster. I bought belt hardware from RFTJon, and I have the leather and dyes, and plenty of tools. I've been waiting for LadySolo14 to finish scanning her patterns, or crazylegsmurphy to get his posted to a point that you can actually finish a belt, so I decided to temporarily table that idea and just pick one up from Todd's Costumes, to get the ball rolling. I specified ESB configuration, thinking I was going to make the ANH one myself, not realizing that their holster really works best for ANH, and they don't offer different holster for ESB. But I think that shouldn't be too tough to reconfigure... I believe I just need to swap the front and back buckle, and replace the disc greeblie? I need to look into that more.

I'm happy with the belt, and the quality of the leather and hardware, but the finish doesn't seem quite right. I'm going to want to weather it quite a bit, and may ultimately strip the dye (if possible) and re-dye it to be more ANH accurate. Eventually.

The Belt Greeblies:

As stated, I have hardware from RFTJon for the belt I'll be making, and the Todd's hardware belt hardware that came with that one.

I picked up an ANH disk from Elvis Trooper, which is good, because to my eye, the disc on Todd's belt looks more ESB than ANH. (ANH is taller, if memory serves) Which is what I had requested, of course, so that makes sense.

I have the machined aluminum boxes from Solo's Hold. Very happy with those.

I have vintage Soda King canisters from ScottJua. Perfect! Very Happy

And finally, I have the Anovos Droid Caller. There are bits you can quibble about, but I think it definitely holds up to scrutiny, overall.

The Blaster:

Quote:
7. DL-44 blaster (A New Hope version), unless local laws prohibit or strongly discourage carrying anything that looks like a firearm

I have the Evike airsoft DL44. All metal, custom weathered by yours truly, and with an upgraded front grill from DEC. I can't imagine this would be a problem to pass.

This brings us to the Formal elements:

Quote:
1. Pintuck down the center front of each pant leg

I'll be adding this to the CS pants. That's basically just stitched-in ironing crease down the front, to maintain that sharp line, right? About 1mm straight line? As long as I can sew a straight line, this should be simple.

Quote:
2. Riding seam around the seat and down the back of each pant leg

I'll add this if I need to. It does have the rounded seam around the seat, but I'm not sure it continues down the back of the legs the way it needs to. (See product photo above)

Quote:
3. Embroidered bloodstripes. (about 1 inch wide by 1/4 inch high, with only 1/8 of an inch of space between each embroidered section)

As I wrote above, I have purchased these, but not attached them, YET. If I only need 3 of the 4 items in this section, perhaps I don't need to?

Quote:
4. No visible zipper on the boots

Check, my boots are bang on.

So, with all of that out of the way, let's show some photos. I threw everything I had last night, since my gun belt finally arrived from Todd's and I finally had a real outfit all in one place. Smile There are a few fit and finish things I'll want to address, but I think it's not half bad at this point. I just don't know how much extra work it needs without some feedback, or if any parts will truly need to be completely replaced just to pass. I do know that, as-is, it seems to be at least as good (if not considerably better) than a number of the RL-approved Han's I've seen out there, so fingers crossed!

I obviously haven't done a full, well-lit collection of shots from all sides yet. I just wanted a quick idea before I proceeded further. If needed, to give even a general opinion, I can haul out the lighting gear and green screen this weekend and take some.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly I'm mostly focused on getting ANH on the books for now. I'll post more pics of things for ESB once I nail down more of the costume bits, and as I make the gun belt.

I have a DL44 in the ESB configuration ready to rock, all high end parts from Boba Debt and DEC, so that part is simple. The rest, less so...

So the rest of this post is reserved for more ESB focused stuff. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice or feedback so far, before I start working on this more?

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing your ESB blaster just reminds me of how much more weathering I need for my own. Haha.

Curious as to what you're going to do for your ESB attire? Will go you with Cosplaysky again, spend more on Anovos or Magnoli, or will you go the custom route?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
Seeing your ESB blaster just reminds me of how much more weathering I need for my own. Haha.

Curious as to what you're going to do for your ESB attire? Will go you with Cosplaysky again, spend more on Anovos or Magnoli, or will you go the custom route?

Heh. I really need to knock down the shine on that scope a LOT more. I'm pretty darned happy with the piece, otherwise. Smile

For the jacket, CS is obviously the cheapest route, but until I can get some sort of guidance on whether it's approvable or not (obviously the same simple mods would need to be made to the pants), I don't want to waste any money on it.

The upgrade option to that would be the black-leatherjacket.com jacket, which appears to be approvable based on this thread (which you commented in): http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84389

If not, I miiiiiiight take a crack at the Dawn Anderson jacket. Or just bite the bullet and have it made. There's a vendor on Etsy that's semi-reasonably priced (compared to Magnoli, at least): https://www.etsy.com/listing/90705485/han-solo-star-wars-the-empire-strikes

All depends on how wealthy I'm feeling at the time, and how much free time I have for sewing experimentation. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever need any help making sense of the DA pattern should you buy it, I can try to help out. I've made it 4 times. (2 mock-ups, and one rushed for Halloween that I was very unhappy with)

Probably going to make a fifth one, because #4 has a non-approvable zipper added because I wanted a functioning jacket.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ichnob wrote:
If you ever need any help making sense of the DA pattern should you buy it, I can try to help out. I've made it 4 times. (2 mock-ups, and one rushed for Halloween that I was very unhappy with)

Probably going to make a fifth one, because #4 has a non-approvable zipper added because I wanted a functioning jacket.

Thx! Though honestly that's a long shot. I'm far more likely to bite the bullet and pay the Etsy guy if the blackleather site ends up being no good. I can do SOME sewing but finely finished stuff scares me for some reason.

Although the concept of a second jacket that has a functional zipper is a bit tempting. Wink
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kman,

So I was going to give you some feedback here, but the photos seem to have disappeared... Crying or Very sad

One thing I do remember from looking at them the first time is that you have a pretty convincing wig there. That looked great!!

I think the shortened version of your vest looked pretty good, although in the cosplaysky photo you posted, it kind of looked like the large pocket on the back of the vest was missing?

I also seem to remember the shirt needed some tailoring...sleeves needed to be shorter and tightened up. They should be about 1" or so above your wrist and fit tight enough that they will stay up on their own when you push them up around your elbows. I remember not being super-thrilled with the collar either, but it wasn't too bad. It just looked like it might be a bit too tall maybe?

Anyway, if you can fix the links, I'll be happy to take another look.

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Brian!

I'm guessing you're surfing at work while previously you were surfing at home or mobile? Certain business firewalls seem to have an issue with my image host, which is probably why you can't see the pictures. All they are is direct links to JPG files, so there's no reason why Barracuda (and another that perhaps uses the same source?) has such an issue with it, but there ya go. Try mobile and see if works for you, maybe?

Anyway:

Yes, I spent a fair chunk of change on that wig, so it's a really nice one. Smile Originally purchased for Jack Harkness, and since used for Malcolm Reynolds and now Han Solo, LOL! I'm going to get all the use I can out of it, that's for sure...

I'll have to check about the pocket in the back. I take it that's mandatory, and needs to be added, if it's actually missing? Grr. Thanks, CosplaySky. Sad I see it's absent in the promo photo I grabbed from the CS site, but I can't recall if it's missing IRL as well.

Shortening shirt sleeves is easy. I like that one. Smile If the collar is problematically too tall, that'll be a bit more of a hassle to fix. Unless I can just just seam rip the top open, tuck it into itself so it's shorter, and top-stitch it back closed?

Please let me know if you're able to see the pictures... they still show up fine on my end (both my desktop browser and mobile).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, despite being sick all weekend, I had a burst of energy on Sunday and knocked this one out. I think I'm probably close enough to take some submission photos and see what the judge's say, but I wouldn't mind more feedback first. Smile

First up, I added the pintuck seams to the front of the pants, which was just about as easy as I hoped it would be. Just a ~1/16" topseam, right up the front of the pants. (credit: I used Cobalt60's tutorial for this, and figured out what to do even though the image links are all broken: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29400 )

Then, I sewed on the strip of embroidered blood stripes. That was far more annoying than I thought it would be, just forever pinning and sew, stop, adjust, sew, stop, adjust, repeat ad nauseum and then repeat it all for the other leg. I'm glad that's over! But wow, what an improvement! LOVE the embroidered stripes.

While I was at it, I verified that CosplaySky included a riding seam, and fortunately, they do. But I also took in the pants and made them skinnier while I was sewing long seams, so there is less excess at the top of the boots. I also added a stirrup at the bottom, to keep them tight. Much happier with how they're sitting now, between those two fixes.

Onto the vest. First, I verified that the CosplaySky vest DOES include the back pocket. Not sure why it didn't in that one stock photo, but it shows in other stock photos on their site. And most importantly, in mine (excuse the wrinkles, please):

I shortened the vest, and it now rides as pictured in my OP.

Lastly, I altered the shirt. I took in the sleeves so they're much narrower, and I shortened them quite a bit as well. It's not quite a 3/4 sleeve, but there is definitely an inch or so of wrist showing, at full extension, and it holds it's place nicely if I push the sleeves up just before my elbow.

I'll try to take some formal, detailed, photos soon, but this is what I could muster up at 2am on a work night (head cropped, since it was too late to pull out the wig):

Thoughts? I think I hit all the points mentioned in CaptSolo77's feedback.

Last edited by kman () on Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump for feedback. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks great.
it looks like you used the same method as me, for attaching the embroidered strip
(top-stitch it, sideways across the strip, in the spaces-between-the-red-bits).

the collar seems about right, to my eye. I think it just needs to soften up a bit.
it just seems a bit 'stiff' because it's new. I think once you wash it a few times it will start to look more 'scruffy looking'.
http://www.hdwallpapersdesktop.com/Movies/Star-Wars/Han-Solo/03/Han-Solo-Wallpaper-16801050.jpg
if it's still too tall after beating it up in the wash a bit, then yeah..
the best way is probably to just open up the top of the collar,
fold it inwards to make it shorter, and then top-stitch it, to put it back together again.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
it looks great.
it looks like you used the same method as me, for attaching the embroidered strip
(top-stitch it, sideways across the strip, in the spaces-between-the-red-bits).

the collar seems about right, to my eye. I think it just needs to soften up a bit.
it just seems a bit 'stiff' because it's new. I think once you wash it a few times it will start to look more 'scruffy looking'.
http://www.hdwallpapersdesktop.com/Movies/Star-Wars/Han-Solo/03/Han-Solo-Wallpaper-16801050.jpg
if it's still too tall after beating it up in the wash a bit, then yeah..
the best way is probably to just open up the top of the collar,
fold it inwards to make it shorter, and then top-stitch it, to put it back together again.

Yes, I referenced your thread for the technique. Smile Meant to post a credit, but it got forgotten in the wee hour post. Btw... did your forum name switch to a new profile or something? Now that I think about it I've seen a number of old posts by "Cobalt60" with broken images (a shame because some would be super helpful!), along with your more recent posts by "Cobalt-60".

Thank you for the feedback! Think it's about ready for some submission photos, to get that process started?
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Think it's about ready for some submission photos, to get that process started?

I would say you're pretty close. Really some nice improvements!! The pants look MUCH better with the embroidered stripes. Only a couple of issues I can see that may be problematic:

1) The riding seam in the pants should run down the center of the leg all the way down to the pant cuff. This one looks like it curves inward at a certain point, which is not really correct. That said, if you have the pintuck, embroidered stripes and zipperless boots, you don't need the riding seam for formal approval.

2) Something weird is going on with the channel loops on the back of the vest. Not quite sure what's up there without being able to se it in person, but they should be a rounded loop. Maybe you could put some interfacing or stiff felt in them to get them to hold the proper shape? Hard to say, but those look off.

Everything else I think looks pretty good. I would agree the shirt is probably fine like it is, especially knowing that it's just a placeholder shirt. Not worth putting a lot of work into it, but the overall fit of it looks much better now. The fit of the vest looks great too!!

Nice job!

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
ichnob ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The back loops are probably flattened from packing. Can't really iron it either if you want them to stick out. Interfacing could work. Same with buckram (very stiff) or horsehair braid. Get those in a darker color so that they don't contrast too much.

Alternatively, see if spray starch can work. Get some small tubes to puff out the loops, and hit them with some spray starch to give them dimension.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: