Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=20e277f911b40af6607d80cdbc4cdf04Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

*DISCUSSION* New Solo Costume Standards
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: *DISCUSSION* New Solo Costume Standards Reply with quote

Greetings Scoundrels,

I wanted to take a minute to open a discussion regarding a couple of Han Solo variant costumes, and whether or not they should be formally accepted as RL costumes. The costumes under consideration are:

“Han Solo-Pit of Carkoon Battle”

And

“Han Solo Sandstorm-Deleted Scene”

Neither costume currently has a written standard, but they have been considered before. Due to seeing a few of these pop up in the costume submission queue, I wanted to re-examine them and get everyone’s thoughts on whether or not the costumes are “distinctly different” enough from other approvable Han costumes to warrant adding them to our list. For now, the discussion will be limited to that alone. If it is decided that one or both should be added, we will open a discussion on what the actual standards should be.

As it stands right now, the “Pit of Carkoon” costume has never been considered “distinctly different” enough from the “Carbon Freezing Chamber” version of the costume, and, as such, is not something we would approve separately. I would tend to agree with this position. In fact, the actual costume is exactly the same. The only thing that makes it different are the props (DL-18, force pike).

The “Sandstorm” version is a bit different though—the headwrap and goggles are costume elements (as opposed to props), and would tend to make a better argument for adding this as a separate costume.

Additionally, the RL has recently added “Sandstorm Leia” to the roster so, in keeping with that thinking, should we consider adding “Sandstorm Han?”
I’m posting this thread in both the “Docking Bay 94” Members area and the “Han Solo and Other Smugglers” area, so that as many can contribute to the conversation as possible.

Thank you for your time and thoughts!!

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to check a roster with approved costumes, but I got a feeling that there was one approved Sandstorm Han costume already ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Commanding Officer
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:
I need to check a roster with approved costumes, but I got a feeling that there was one approved Sandstorm Han costume already ...

That would be an excellent case for going ahead and making a formal Costume Standard for it. I'll have a look as well... Cool

Charybdis (Al d L.)
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say "no" on the Pit of Carkoon and "yes" for the Sandstorm Han...

RL member since 2006
Blue Ridge Base member
Nexus Temple - member
Docking Bay 94 - member
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
My opinion on this subject:

For both Sandstorm and Carkoon costumes, I think it's an excellent choice for joining the Rebel Legion with both variety AND a not-so-expensive costume.

You see, my thoughts are that not everyone can afford gathering all the items for a normal, standard, well-known Han costume (clothes plus blaster, holster, greeblies, etc). Of course, there are some magnificent, complete and approved costumes, but I think there must be a more reachable option (and also providing "fresh air" to the roster).

Yes, I know, you might say "but what about the DL-18 blaster? Or the force pike?" Well, if you ask me, that will give the future members the chance to focus on some other items and props that are part of the Star Wars universe, along with the good ol' DL-44. For me, it would be a challenge to build a force pike, and all of us know that Han used it to both defeat Boba Fett and help Lando from the Sarlacc (I mean, it's quite an important item seen in "Return of the Jedi", as the "Greedo killer" version of the DL-44 blaster, and it has a significant screen-time).

That's why I'd suppport both costumes to be accepted as formal.

Sincerely yours,
Jose
Italian Base CO
Italian Base CO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi smugglers!

My opinion is that the only interesting version may be that of "Sandstorm deleted scenes".

Starting from the base of ESB costume (or from Freezing Chamber Version) you only need to add glasses, turban and blaster DL 18.
[/img]
MDQ Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody...
I have to agree With Joe Solo on this matter...
New version of the Solo outfit should be considered, even if they are simplier.
It would be a nice change and oportunity for new prop buildings.
jcrab3t ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if these are deleted scenes, then it doesn't fit in the canon or legends timelines. Therefore, does not have any type of validity - I feel.

For example, in the Prequels, Shak-Ti was killed by Grevious in a deleted scene. Her death in this scene is not canon or legend in either case - and has no merit in the Star Wars universe other than a footnote on her Star Wars biography page.

This Han Solo from the deleted scene should be treated the same way, and not given official status with the RL.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NJO Han Solo costume is only seen in the cover of a novel; nevertheless, it is approved as a formal costume... Wink

P.S.: and he looks more like Scott Bakula than Harrison Ford Laughing
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For both Sandstorm and Carkoon costumes, I think it's an excellent choice for joining the Rebel Legion with both variety AND a not-so-expensive costume.

To me, the Carbon-Freezing Chamber costume already accomplishes this; however, I can see the issue--in order to wear the Carbon Freezing costume for formal events, the costumer would technically need to be shackled up the entire time, since the arm restraints and binders are required elements of the costume.

I could see either the "Pit of Carkoon" or "Sandstorm" version being approved, but both seems a bit redundant. We could include in the standard options for wearing the accessories either way, so both versions could then worn at formal events. (i.e.-if the Pit of Carkoon were to be approved, we could include in the Standard that it could be worn with headwrap and goggles also--or vice-versa)

Quote:
This Han Solo from the deleted scene should be treated the same way, and not given official status with the RL.

I see the point here, but the problem is that we already have a written Standard for "Sandstorm Leia" and so, for the sake of consistency, we should then allow Sandstorm Luke, Lando, etc. It doesn't make sense that we would approve one and not the others.

Quote:

I looked around this morning, but didn't see any approved yet, unless I'm looking in the wrong places... Wink

Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
To me, the Carbon-Freezing Chamber costume already accomplishes this; however, I can see the issue--in order to wear the Carbon Freezing costume for formal events, the costumer would technically need to be shackled up the entire time, since the arm restraints and binders are required elements of the costume.

Well, that's the fun of it! And even more if you find a fellow 501st Legionnaire dressed as Boba Fett! Or a ESB Leia! Wink

CaptSolo77 wrote:
I could see either the "Pit of Carkoon" or "Sandstorm" version being approved, but both seems a bit redundant. We could include in the standard options for wearing the accessories either way, so both versions could then worn at formal events. (i.e.-if the Pit of Carkoon were to be approved, we could include in the Standard that it could be worn with headwrap and goggles also--or vice-versa)

What if it is proposed as a "Han Solo Pit of Carkoon costume with accesories"? Or one being the "appendix" of the other? After all, both costumes belong to the same "action sequence" (splitted in two acts, let's say)...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any other thoughts? Opinions? Come on, people, we're waiting...
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you do not allow a costume due to being a deleted scene will create a slippery slope for other costumes, as well for EU costumes. Some could say the entire EU genre could be a "deleted scene"'. Do we really want to prevent someone from being a member because a scene has hit the editor floor room?

We as a club allow Willrow Hood to flood the RL membership and it's a whopping 1.3 seconds of air time in the movie. It serves no purpose other than for fun. The scenes we are talking about existed (cutting floor or not) and not just as an extra running with an ice cream maker!

If Lucas has acknowledged a scene by allowing a deleted scene to be known, for me... it's a costume waiting to be made.

I may not like certain costumes, but then... I will just not make them.

I am fine with both costumes in this instance...

my 2 cents!
Joe Solo (José Hermosa)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoloYT1300 wrote:

If Lucas has acknowledged a scene by allowing a deleted scene to be known, for me... it's a costume waiting to be made.

I may not like certain costumes, but then... I will just not make them.

I am fine with both costumes in this instance...

my 2 cents!

Thank you!!!! Very Happy
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with both also, however, I still think they should be somehow combined into one composite costume. Initially, I had thought the "Deleted Scene/Sandstorm" version should be the one we officially recognized, but now I'm thinking the "Pit of Carkoon" should be the formal one, with options included in the standard to allow for a "Sandstorm" version. I say that for two reasons:

1) The "Pit of Carkoon" version did actually appear in the released film, whereas the "Sandstorm" one did not. That does give it a little more credibility, although I agree with Bob, the fact that the sandstorm scene was deleted shouldn't make the costume invalid.

The bigger issue is:

2) The lack of references for the "Sandstorm" costume; specifically, for Han's goggles. Because the scene was deleted, we don't have hi-res screen caps of that scene to really be able to tell exactly what Han's goggles looked like.

We have great reference for what Luke's "Sandstorm" goggles looked like:

And we have pretty good images of what Lando and Leia's looked like:

But no really good images of Han's goggles. One thing I think we can see though, based on the images of the other goggles, is that they are not simply welding goggles. They are most likely based on welding goggles, but, as we can see, they are probably modified, with leather wrapping or other details. The problem is, what are those details? How could we say "accurate goggles" as part of the Standard, if we don't really know what "accurate" goggles look like on Han's costume?

For those reasons, I would suggest writing a standard for a "Pit of Carkoon" version, and include "optional" goggles and head wrap, which would allow the costumer to wear it that way if desired. If the goggles are optional, they are not exposed the same level of scrutiny when judging as they would be if they were required elements.

Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: