Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=fb062b869cadc125a515ea28dddf5797Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ERT WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sentry71 (Gary Hill)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Can you bring the donut down a little and make it as horizontal as possible?

I sure can. Thanks for the suggestion.
sentry71 (Gary Hill)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
This is a Friendly FYI:

Notice how much forehead is showing in the photos above.
A big problem with the patterns that were posted for making your own AN-H-15 soft cap replica, is that the original real visor on the AN-H-15 Flight helmets was never included in the patterns.

You can see how much material is missing from the forehead when comparing to these real AN-H-15 soft caps:

Some soft cap replica makers have assumed that the missing visor is not needed and sewn the larger (Movie added) visor directly to their soft cap replicas.
Sewing the large visor directly to the soft cap replica pushes the front of the Donut helmet up and is usually the primary reason why the Donut helmet is often rocked back really far in many costume submission photos.
(The screen used large Movie visors were attached to the Donut helmet, Not to the AN-H-15 soft caps. So it was easy to adjust the height and angle of the Donut helmet. )

The original real visor is an essential component of the soft cap's dimensions, which covers the forehead and also provides a comfort layer to help protect the forehead and keep the Donut helmet from digging in.

My recommendation would be to add another piece of material to your soft cap to replace the (real) visor that wasn't included in the patterns. It needs to come down at least an inch below what it does in your photos above, preferably to just above your eyebrows.
It doesn't necessarily need to stick out like the real visors do, it just needs to come down more and cover the rest of the forehead.

Now, when I make my soft cap replicas, I have modified my patterns to include an additional inch of material at the front, so it covers most of the forehead.

This eliminates the need to add a smaller visor, and you can still finish your replica the way that the tutorial shows.

David L.

Thanks David. I will get that extra added on to the cap itself. Currently the bill visor is connected to the donut, so that should make other adjustments easier.
sentry71 (Gary Hill)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally approved! Thanks to all that helped get this trooper ready for duty.

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 16 (View more...)
South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great news!!! Congrats!!!

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Return of the Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: