About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1a55d480b890ff5a7d41801064da623dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT Shirt/vest resources?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LukeSkiewalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:

I need to check out that extra BDU you bought. I've done some more looking into the requirements of what I'm wanting to do with it, and I want to see if it will or won't work before I go ordering another one (even at the insanely-cheap out in style price) and also if it'll be 'compatible' with the leftover BDU fabic I have and will have to call in to modify it (you still have the sleves, right?)

I *think* so. I will have to check though. I remember seeing them in the garage next to the rest of my costuming supplies. I will let you know.
IndustrialSizeEd (Ed Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having trouble finding affordable shirts that I can find in my size. I think I've finally found something that'll work. Dickies makes a chambray work shirt that comes in extended sizes. The price isn't the best (around $16 - $18 each), but that's to be expected when dealing with extended sizes. I'm gonna stop by Wal-Mart and see if they have them in the store. I know they're available online, so I might end up just getting them from there.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
Commander, Screaming Tauntaun Squadron
Commander, Rebel Legion Starfighter Command
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndustrialSizeEd wrote:
I've been having trouble finding affordable shirts that I can find in my size. I think I've finally found something that'll work. Dickies makes a chambray work shirt that comes in extended sizes. The price isn't the best (around $16 - $18 each), but that's to be expected when dealing with extended sizes. I'm gonna stop by Wal-Mart and see if they have them in the store. I know they're available online, so I might end up just getting them from there.

Those Dickie's chambray work shirts are what I used. Bought some Rit color remover as well (less than $1 a box) and soaked the things in it for about an hour to get the color closer to what the navy surplus shirts are...

Edit: Oh, I also removed the pocket cover flaps on the front and also the Dickie's tag (I think both would've been covered, but they added 'bulk' so I got rid of 'em.

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Novahawk ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Dickies chambray shirts last night.

Oy. So I've got the RFT helmet, blaster, belt, pants, boots, and vest! Yay!

Note that I didn't say it was complete. If the rain ever stops here I will paint and assemble the helmet quickly. Blaster needs painting too. Boots and pants are as is. Belt needs the buckle "shaved". Shirt needs to be bibbed. oy.

So while the costume is in sight... it will prolly be another week or two before ultimate completion.

Then another 6 months before I get around to getting a pic taken. And another 3 months before I download the pics to the computer.

Then another 4 months to upload it to the site.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gandalfbmg wrote:

Those Dickie's chambray work shirts are what I used. Bought some Rit color remover as well (less than $1 a box) and soaked the things in it for about an hour to get the color closer to what the navy surplus shirts are...

Edit: Oh, I also removed the pocket cover flaps on the front and also the Dickie's tag (I think both would've been covered, but they added 'bulk' so I got rid of 'em.

Oh, good. I'll give them a try then. Now if I can just find someone to do the bib for me, since I don't have a sewing machine.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
hofmann (Matt Hofmann)
Mos Espa Base CO
Mos Espa Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, Heather can do it for you if you like. Just send me the stuff and she could even ship the shirt with the Leia hat if you wanted.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IndustrialSizeEd wrote:
gandalfbmg wrote:

Oh, good. I'll give them a try then. Now if I can just find someone to do the bib for me, since I don't have a sewing machine.

It would take a bit of time, but you could always hand sew it Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would work. Let me go find the shirts and I'll send them off. Thanks!

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snaps/ hook and eyes have to be sewn by hand (unless they have a machine that does them now, wouldn't surprise me but it ain't the one we have), besides that the only sewing that could be done by machine is four seams around the bib and then the one seam of the bib to the shirt; all straight lines but yes, time consuming.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSkiewalker wrote:
It would take a bit of time, but you could always hand sew it Wink

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I can't sew a straight line, no matter how hard I try. I really ought to just invest in a sewing machine. Maybe I should get one of those little handheld ones.

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
LukeSkiewalker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed I think you need one of these! Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSkiewalker wrote:

Oh yeah, that'd be perfect for me.....if I were a Japanese schoolgirl. Rolling Eyes

Previous Positions:
Member, Legion Council
Commander, Rebel Legion
Commander, Central Base
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LukeSkiewalker wrote:

You know, if you're not gonna use it much, the price ain't bad. I'm sure a manly-man has the skills to remove the 'offending' designs (unless that's your thing, not that there's anything wrong with that... )

unfated (Jason York)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Dickies shirts look pretty good. I think I will
go that route as well.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sewing the Dickies by hand.... very slow. 4 hours last night to get just the panel cut and seamed nicely.

Tonight is attaching it to the shirt and adding the hooks... urg.

- Lao-Jon Yung, Jedi Knight
- Lt Jak "Novahawk" Hunter, X-wing pilot and A-wing pilot Warhawk Squadron
- Sgt Zev Youngblood, Rebel Commando
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: