Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8ddd9d2039450e6e1f2c1b4d8ef963b9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Guide to Submitting Costumes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Guide to Submitting Costumes Reply with quote

Hi all, after fielding tons of questions on how to submit costumes, or what you need in the process I felt I should make a thread to help guide new members(and even current members) on going through the process to submit a costume. This will include some frequently asked questions as well as tips.

Is The Approval Process As Bad As Everyone Says?
Yes, and no. The trick about submitting costumes is to know where to find the resources to do it correct the first time, and to give the judges everything they need the first time. If your costume doesn't meet the standards, then your going to have to change it or be denied, but if you follow the standards, provide the judges with the proper pictures the first time it is a relatively painless process.

Who Judges Costumes?
Costumes are judged by legion costume judges. Legion costume judges are Rebel Legion members who have one or more costumes approved in the categories they are judging. This means the members judging your costumes are members who know that costume.

You will hear alot of people complain about the judges, but they are your friends. If they require you to make changes most of the time they will try to provide you with information on how to make those changes, or why they need to be made.

Are You Ready To Submit?
Before you submit a costume you need to evaluate if you are ready. Most costumes that have been made before have a costume standard of what is required. Standards can be found here: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/costume-standards/

If you are submitting a costume that has never been done before, there won't be a standard, and you'll have to use reference images to try to make a replica of the costume. When you submit you will need to include these references

If you have doubts about a certain part of your costume, or you don't understand a standard, or even if you want a second opinion before you submit, don't hesitate to reach out to your base membership officer(aka me). If I don't know the answer, I probably know someone who does

How Do You Submit A Costume?
When you are ready to submit a costume, log into the forums, then you can find a link at the top of our forums "My Costumes". Here is a picture:

*Note: If you are a brand new member, instead of my costumes the wording will be slightly different, but it is in the same location*

When you click on the link you will have an option to "Add a costume" this will take you to the form to fill out to submit the costume. On this application you will need to include several pictures.

When you attach photos to the application, you will need to upload a action shot, and then attach links for front, back, right, and left from a third party site, personally I use photobucket. I'll talk more about the specific photos later, but when you attach links, be sure you attach the direct image links, and not the IMG links.

Photos, What is required
When submitting photos, you need an action shot, a front picture, a back picture, a right side picture, and a left side picture. If you are submitting a costume with a helmet you will also need a helmet off picture. If there are any important details on the costume you may want to include pictures of those as well. Additionally, make sure your costume is identical to the standards, with no additions. For example, at local events we allow our pilots to wear a hawkbat pin on their costumes, This can not be on in the approval pictures. The key thing is you cannot have anything more then the standards(unless you have a reference for it) or less than the standards.

Do not do any photoshop to the photos, this includes lightsaber effects. The judges will add that after its approved.

Additionally with the front, back, left, and right photos, they should be head to toe. Make sure there are no convention badges or anything like that.

And lastly, make sure the photos do not have any copyrighted markings on them, I have seen many members shot back for this when their costumes were otherwise fine

Photos, How to Take Them
While photos don't need to be professionally done, or crystal clear, they must be clear. Blurry photos are bad. Additionally it is recommended that you take the photos in natural lighting, to avoid getting details washed out. The best recommendation is either on an overcast day, or in the shade on a sunny day. This isn't required, but it helps your photos come out clearer.

Additionally, photos should be on a neutral background, that shows the costume, If you are submitting princess Leia in her white dress, don't take the photos on a white background. If you are submitting a Jawa, don't submit on a brown background.

Here are some samples of what the approval photos should look like(while the background could be more of a solid color it differs enough from the costume that it works):

Front

Right

Back

Left

Action

I hope this helps all those looking to submit, any questions don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Last edited by dbdgamer (Dan Decker) on Wed May 24, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
dbdgamer (Dan Decker)
Base Membership Officer

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reserved for Future Additions
Base Membership Officer

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reserved for Future additions
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

following for reference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Echo Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: