Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=37d7c91355361b24c8ab770078174be0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

US CWU-1P Suite green dyed in blue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrooperPX wrote:
I was going to try a light coat/dusting of Mod Podge® Clear Acrylic Sealer, Gloss. Thinking the gloss might be too shiny, I might also try the Mod Podge® Clear Acrylic Sealer, Matte to see if it adds enough sheen.

http://www.michaels.com/mod-podge-clear-acrylic-sealer-gloss/10194373.html#start=7

i was looking for sprays myself..however, from what i could deduct, it washes out...but i am willing to respray when needed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about "oiling the fabric" to make it appear wet?

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmmm.... Modge Podge would be a very temporary fix, to me. Also, you might have it peel or flake off, and I couldn't imagine it surviving much when you wash it!

Oil? Ack.... That might get icky!

I know there's gotta be a good fabric out there, so we should just look for that. I've seen other colors in fabric that has that same sheen to it. I just wish we were closer friends with LFL's costume department so that they could simply tell us where they get their various fabrics!

We're STILL waiting on our samples from the site I posted earlier. I need to get back to searching for more possible sources. Maybe go back to JoAnns and see what I saw in that different color, look up that type of fabric in teal or whatever.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
Ummmmm.... Modge Podge would be a very temporary fix, to me. Also, you might have it peel or flake off, and I couldn't imagine it surviving much when you wash it!

Oil? Ack.... That might get icky!

I know there's gotta be a good fabric out there, so we should just look for that. I've seen other colors in fabric that has that same sheen to it. I just wish we were closer friends with LFL's costume department so that they could simply tell us where they get their various fabrics!

We're STILL waiting on our samples from the site I posted earlier. I need to get back to searching for more possible sources. Maybe go back to JoAnns and see what I saw in that different color, look up that type of fabric in teal or whatever.

my samples were OK...Sith_Chick and i are going to go over them on Saturday...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnaydolem wrote:

my samples were OK...Sith_Chick and i are going to go over them on Saturday...

Thumbs up
Massiff Squadron CO

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought:

Oil as in a thin coat of WD-40, which may give the sheen desired, Maybe hit it with a scotch guard to lock it in? It may hold if washed.

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
Just a thought:

Oil as in a thin coat of WD-40, which may give the sheen desired, Maybe hit it with a scotch guard to lock it in? It may hold if washed.

I have fabric i could test at least with the WD40...IF that works...than the fabric i have without the sheen is PERFECT, IMO. Very Happy

That would be this one. The bottom color.

For comparison

JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also darken the color of the fabric, but I am interested in your results.

There is NO Orange Mafia
Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been poking around the internet today and might have stumbled on a solution. If you google "Blue Insulated boiler suits" lots of them come up with the same fabric. Could just find get one and modify it.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronan wrote:
Been poking around the internet today and might have stumbled on a solution. If you google "Blue Insulated boiler suits" lots of them come up with the same fabric. Could just find get one and modify it.

You could, but as I've had to say about the TFA suits (having made several), you basically have to pull the whole thing apart in order to modify it. If the boiler suit has completely different pockets, you'll have to remove those, and hope too that there aren't any that are slash pockets that cut into the main pieces. It would be easier to start off from scratch... there are an awful lot of specific pockets, collar & cuffs, the pleating down the arms, and zippers on the R1 suits. It was a lot easier modifying coveralls for A-wing, B-wing, and Y-wing, but these newer suits are crazy!
Massiff Squadron CO

Echo5Delta (Alex Diaz)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 am    Post subject: about fabrics... Reply with quote

How improbable is it that the fabric used in the suits are the same sort of thing that tents are made out of? that water resistant nylon tent and tent covers? On a whim I took a look at coleman tents, and it has the shine it needs. Might be a tad thinner than most fabrics, and I have no idea personally how well they would stitch together, but if you modify your patterns to make them slightly bigger or bulkier, it could match fairly well with not just the shine, but also that insulated look to be able to wear if its hot out. Just a thought.

"Grab some sky!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: