Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1b81e8abd0da87d9c5e4ad7e5efd58aaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

US CWU-1P Suite green dyed in blue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rebel1981 ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: US CWU-1P Suite green dyed in blue? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I am also planning an U-Wing Pilot and my question about the Suite is, is it possible that they used a US CWU-1P winter suite in green and dyed with blue?
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I stare at the photos of both, I'm still not convinced that they used the CWU-1P. It looks VERY similar.... both have a hood inside the collar, with zipper closure. Both have that slightly angled left knee pocket with zipper. But the work they would have had to do to convert them leads me to believe they simply used the basic pattern of a CWU-1P (or very similar) and constructed them from scratch. (Ha, this discussion is all too familiar, having talked about the TFA X-wing suits over a year ago!)

Comparing the construction of the legs, the CWU-1P also has different panels on the lower leg. The placement of the zipper on the left knee pocket is different from the Blue suit... about an inch off. Doesn't make sense that they would rip it all apart just to move the pocket panel that little bit. The upper pockets are classic X-wing though, and there's a yoke seam like OT X-wing that the CWU-1P does not have. Also, to apply the white pleating on the sleeves, they would have had to remove the existing upper left arm pocket and open up the under arm seam... one of the more plausible of all the modifications.

Dying the suit? That nylon might not take even good synthetic dye. Something else leading me to think they must've made Blue's suits from scratch.
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
rebel1981 ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil! Ok, if I have to sew a complete new jumpsuite, the next question is to find a good pattern as basic and a suitable fabric in petrol color. It will be a difficult task, but I love challenges Laughing
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the time comes, I'm going to modify my coverall pattern that I used to make my TFA pattern. I was going to make my own OT X-wing pattern anyway... That one would be closer, just will need different leg pockets of course.
Massiff Squadron CO

TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a dye test with an old ALICE pack. I used two bottles of RIT dye, two cups of salt, hot water, and agitated it for over an hour.

Dyed the strapping pretty well, but only tinted the fabric a little. Neutral

Was going to order some procion dye and try it on another pack...
JediXXL (Gil Guemes)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we know the Blue Squadron suits were all custom made and the fabric custom dyed and weathered, how cost effective would having a custom run of fabric dyed by a manufacturer?

There is NO Orange Mafia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say we can get it fairly cheap right off the shelf, so to speak. If the samples check out (like I PM'd you, Gil), maybe everyone take a look at them, and concur on a supplier. These initial samples come from Beacon Fabric, and is a nylon "flag cloth". Check out "turquoise" and "teal" on this page:
http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat10.htm
Either one of those might be a winner. And, at $7.79/yard, not expensive... 30% off if someone were to buy the big 125yd roll.
Massiff Squadron CO

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question: Do we, as an organization, have a non-profit tax status at all? We might be able to get such supplies wholesale. Just thinking out loud Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to make some kind of supply chain for those of us outside the US as well? Or at least get help with the shipping.
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediXXL wrote:
Now that we know the Blue Squadron suits were all custom made and the fabric custom dyed and weathered, how cost effective would having a custom run of fabric dyed by a manufacturer?

I have actually been looking into this...HOWEVER I am still waiting for my 'samples' to come from a place here in the states. My guess is it is a PU Coated Nylon Fabric. it gives it the shiny look.

HOPEFULLY they will be here by Monday. I have been researching the crap out of this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:
I say we can get it fairly cheap right off the shelf, so to speak. If the samples check out (like I PM'd you, Gil), maybe everyone take a look at them, and concur on a supplier. These initial samples come from Beacon Fabric, and is a nylon "flag cloth". Check out "turquoise" and "teal" on this page:
http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat10.htm
Either one of those might be a winner. And, at $7.79/yard, not expensive... 30% off if someone were to buy the big 125yd roll.

I took a look...those are a bit too..i can't put my finger on it too bright maybe?

THIS is the color we need.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK a couple weeks ago I ran over to the fabric store here and this is what I found I'm still waiting for the recreational fabrics samples.

they got stuck due to whether I should get them on Tuesday.

I think the one on top is a bit closer but this is the type of fabric we need. It's actual recreational fabric.
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nnaydolem wrote:
OK a couple weeks ago I ran over to the fabric store here and this is what I found I'm still waiting for the recreational fabrics samples.

I think the one on top is a bit closer but this is the type of fabric we need. It's actual recreational fabric.

I like the bottom one myself, its a bit more of that teal. I think that if you look at all the pics, you see varying shades due to lighting, perhaps even costume distressing to dirty them up. Here's Gen. Merrick, and I don't think he's right in front of bright studio lights:

Then these guys:

Massiff Squadron CO

nnaydolem (Melody)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom is 11.97/yard. Oh well. Smile need to find a way to give it that sheen… I have some others that a friend and I are going to look at tomorrow will take them out into the sunlight and see what looks best.
TrooperPX (David Ramsay)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to try a light coat/dusting of Mod Podge® Clear Acrylic Sealer, Gloss. Thinking the gloss might be too shiny, I might also try the Mod Podge® Clear Acrylic Sealer, Matte to see if it adds enough sheen.

http://www.michaels.com/mod-podge-clear-acrylic-sealer-gloss/10194373.html#start=7

ID, DZ, CT, IS, DZ, IG, TI, IC, IC, TK, TS, SL, SL, TB, DS, TR, BH, TA, ID, TI
Echo Base - Binghamton, NY
Legion Costume Judge
UCGR Detachment XO
Echo Base Captain
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: