Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2ea9185bd34e501221b2ef54bd007e4eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT WIP for my husband
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PArmstr (Patricia Armstrong-Krauss)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: RFT WIP for my husband Reply with quote

I'm posting this WIP for my husband Ralf. We are upgrading his RFT so that he can apply for RL membership.

A member of the German Garrison built the helmet for us. Another member of the GG made the holster. The blaster is a painted DH-17 from Hasbro. The belt boxes are from Philo, a member of the Italian Garrison. The cargo pants are "Fatigue Pants Military Style BDU Cargo Grey Rothco 8810", which we ordered in the US via EBay. The shirt was made out of two light blue denim shirts. I haven’t removed the cuffs yet. We bought the boots at a local army shop. At the moment we are using a BDU jacket that was made out of rip-stop fabric for the vest. We will be up-dating it with a one that isn’t rip-stop and will also be adding the pockets on the back. The belt buckle is a rectangle buckle blank (2in) from tandy leather factory that we ordered in the UK via Facebook.

Helmet:

Holster and blaster:

Belt boxes:

Cargo pants:

Shirt:

Boots:

Vest:

Belt and buckle:

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I do have a concern with the shirt which should be chambray or close to chambray color. The pictures posted make the shirt look like an old acid washed pair of jeans with the white micro size bleach marks and darker blue spots. Regardless of shirt used make absolutely sure the top collar button does not show when it's worn.

Please continue to share your progress. You certainly have put a lot of effort into getting the parts together. You have an antenna , blaster / holster and belt boxes so the pick 3 option is satisfied.
rskrauss ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. My wife and I will look for a chambray shirt. You are right. The shirt served me 30 years. Than my wife decided that I should be a member of the rebellegion.
Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: RFT WIP for my husband Reply with quote

PArmstr wrote:
I'm posting this WIP for my husband Ralf. We are upgrading his RFT so that he can apply for RL membership.

A member of the German Garrison built the helmet for us. Another member of the GG made the holster. The blaster is a painted DH-17 from Hasbro. The belt boxes are from Philo, a member of the Italian Garrison. The cargo pants are "Fatigue Pants Military Style BDU Cargo Grey Rothco 8810", which we ordered in the US via EBay.

The Rothco Gray is the one to order. I've dropped about 3" and needed to order the next size smaller. The Propper "Gray" looked OK in all of the web catalogue photos, but when I received them, they are too dark (RAL 7031) than what we see onscreen (closer to RAL 7045 or even 7038).
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same problem with the first pair of gray cargo pants we bought. At first they looked ok to us but when we were able to compare them to the ones the other RFTs from German Base Yavin use they looked almost black.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grey cargo pants are a pain these days. Either they are way too dark, or just don't fit when you find a color you can work with.

On the bibbed blue shirt, I put a link up here in the forum on the shirt I have been buying for mine. the color of the online listing is nothing like the color of the shirt which looks really good to me in natural light.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, gray cargo pants are a huge problem. I was very happy when we finally found the right color and size for Ralf. Unfortunately they wont work for me when I start my one RFT in a couple of months, I just ordered my helmet, because the largest size is 3XL and I need from 4XL to 7XL depending on the brand. I'll have to make mine from scratch.

I think I found your link for the shirt. It's a nice shirt and I can by the same one or a similar one at the German EBay and Amazon. I'm not sure about the color. It seems to be the most screen accurate but the members of my squade seem to have a less grayish shirt. If I understand the information on the forum correctly I should go for uniformity. Here are two photos that Dornhoefer Photography took at one of our events. As far a I know two of the shirt were made by costumebase. Lother's was tailored for him and I don't know where the forth shirt came from.

Mac Bragg ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the Rothco and Propper "Gray" pants side by side

The Propper brand "Gray" BDU pants are too dark for Alderaan Consular Security uniforms.

Fortunately, I have another use for the Propper brand so it's not a complete waste of $35.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting my own RFT ANH approved yesterday, I went back to upgrading my husband’s RFT ANH to RL standard. I’m using the same type of light blue dress shirts from the German military that used for my shirt. Today I took of the chest pockets and the cuff from one shirt and took the other one apart for the bib.

When we bought the black BDU jacket without rip stop for my RFT we also bought own for Ralf. I still have enough fabric leftover from a second BDU jacket that I used for my vest’s back pockets, so I will also add them to Ralf’s vest.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered new belt boxes because I used ones shown for my RFT. They should be here in a couple of days. I hope that I have finish the new shirt and vest by then.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf’s new belt strap arrived. It is much lighter than the old one. I think the color, which is called cognac, is as close to range tan and canyon tan as I can get. I finished Ralf’s vest today. I have no clue why the pockets look like they are a different shade of black on the photos. They are made from another BDU jacket from the same brand. To the naked eye the black looks the same. Perhaps it’s the flash of the digital camera. The shirt should be finished tomorrow. The only things that are still missing are the press stud fasteners. We will be taking application photos as soon as the costume has been washed to get rid of all the chalk markings and belt boxes have arrived.

New belt strap (on the left) and the old belt (on the right)

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband's shirt is finally finished. The new belt boxes should arrive soon. Since the holster is optional, Ralf is going to apply without one because we only have the one that is too dark. I asked a friend to make two holsters in a lighter brown for us but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralf's belt boxes just arrived from Italy. They look great.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First photos with my husband waering his new RFT outfit.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband's RFT was approved today.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=14664&bu=profile.php%3Fmode%3Dviewprofile%26u%3D105327&bl=Back+to+rskrauss%27++profile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: