Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c0b5549e2c97727b20096fdd719d258fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jyn Erso Disguise Question/Debate
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Jyn Erso Disguise Question/Debate Reply with quote

So I've been hearing conflicting bits of information in regards to Jyn's Imperial Ground Crew disguise and wanted to see if I can get a concrete answer on this from RL judges/members.

RL has said in the past that the disguise costumes ie; Han and Luke in Stormtrooper armor do not qualify as "our" costumes because once the helmet is on, its a regular TK costume.

I can understand that and respect that decision.

Jyn's Imperial ground crew disguise seems to be currently under debate. The 501st accepts the standard costume as theirs but it will not include Jyn's boots, gloves, Kyber crystal etc. They are saying it falls under our jurisdiction when you add in all her accessories etc.

Is this something that can be accepted as a RL costume as long as it is clear that it is Jyn and not IGC?

Just needing more clarification as I and a few other girls working on this would like to know more before we proceed with the costume.

Thanks. Smile
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... that is very good question ... Smile

I need to say, that I would personally love to see Jyn in disguise (without helmet, with proper haircut) accepted in RL ... but this is just my personal opinion and we need to bring LMO to this topic Smile ...

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blair wrote:

I need to say, that I would personally love to see Jyn in disguise (without helmet, with proper haircut) accepted in RL ... but this is just my personal opinion and we need to bring LMO to this topic Smile ...

Right?!? It's a great costume. Is this the proper forum to ask this question then or should I bring it elsewhere?
In progress/submitted: Padme Amidala Deleted Scene/X Wing Pilot/Clone Wars Padme (maroon vest)
"This is a Rebellion, isn't it? I rebel."
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Base Command Liaison
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeiaAurora wrote:
Blair wrote:

Right?!? It's a great costume. Is this the proper forum to ask this question then or should I bring it elsewhere?

I already contacted Jason, so, I hope he will post his opinion soon Smile

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge | Rebel Legion Honorary Membership Officer
Merc_with_a_Bryar (Sam Falco)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about disguise costumes in the Rebel Rumblings thread, citing Rogue One and all the spy work being done on Rebels as my reason for asking. I got a pretty blunt slap-down about it by several ppl, so it seems like they're pretty adamant about not accepting anything Imperial.

Member:
Ra Kura Base (Florida)
Stormfront Temple
Rebel Legion Knights of the Jedi Order
Galactic Stategic Command
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be acceptable as a Rebel Legion costume.

Han and Luke in Stormtrooper disguise is not acceptable as RL because it is basically an unaltered Stormtrooper kit, and you would have to be very recognizable as Han or Luke if your helmet were off.

Boussh is accepted in 501st as Boussh the Bounty Hunter, and it is acceptable as Leia as Boussh. This is a bit of a disconnect considering Han and Luke as Stormtrooper is not under the same circumstances, but as Boussh is not necessarily directly linked to the Empire, I suppose that's the reason.

Jyn as Imperial Ground Crew should be accepted because, unlike Boussh and Han & Luke ST, her costume varies by the inclusion of her own gloves and boots. Those variations, while not as recognizable to the general public, should be recognized by the RL as a Rebel-specific outfit. (though I suggest eye make-up/hair be required as a requirement also for this particular one)

One question though is Cassian Andor as Imperial Officer. Like Luke and Han, nothing differentiates him from a normal officer (that I noticed) besides looking exactly like him, UNLESS he is with a Jyn in Disguise.

Can Jason weigh in? Either way, when I make mine I'll be trooping with my base as Jyn anyway, but it would be nice if it were official.

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not responding sooner- the holidays have gotten the best of me Smile

I don't see how swapping out a set of gloves and boots changes the over-all image of this Imperial costume. All of the core elements are still the same as the generic Imperial Ground Crew, so it really doesn't fit within our mission.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Boussh Leia is acceptable, I see no reason why Jyn Disguise is not accepted either, especially as it is a costume many, many of us want to do, but will not be allowed to troop AS Jyn (depending on how cool one's base is.)

The 501st is going to require black boots and gloves for the Ground Crew uniform, I will be trooping with JYN's gloves and boots, possibly helmet off. Bodhi Rook is wearing an Imperial costume, but yet, he is a rebel.

I see the gloves and boot difference, which is enough of a difference to make it unacceptable, should make it enough of a difference to make it acceptable here.

Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Active Legion Member

Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but this group isn't the catch-all for the costumes the 501st doesn't want to claim as their own.

Vera, you can make any costume you like, but that doesn't mean it has to be expected into the Rebel Legion. If you're so excited to make the disguised costume, then by all means- do so! No one is stopping you and, in fact, I encourage you to do so. As you mentioned, your local commanders may allow you to even wear it when appropriate.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my base is cool like that, I've heard of a few bases that get petty about things like that, especially if they get to do official Lucasfilms troops.

However, this is a club BY the costumer, FOR the costumer. I've been in the legion a long time. I think the matter should be put to a vote, because if we, the costumers, decide it's a fit for us, then I think it should be included, not just dismissed out of hand.

Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New costumes are not admitted by a vote. As quoted by the Charter,

Quote:
Rebel Legion Charter, Article II: Costume Standards,
Costumes that are prevalent in the Star Wars universe, that are iconic and include costume components that are readily recognized as belonging to that character class are eligible for Rebel Legion membership.

The Imperial Ground Crew is readily recognized as belonging to the Galactic Empire, not the Rebel Alliance.
DayFire (Kelsie Day)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that with the Jyn accessories and hair (no helmet) it should be acceptable as a RL costume the same as bounty hunter Leia

Last edited by DayFire (Kelsie Day) on Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayFire wrote:
I would say that with the Jyn accessories and hair (no helmet) it should be acceptable as a RL costume the same as Han or Luke troopers

The Han and Luke stormtroopers are not accepted costumes into the Rebel Legion.
jesikah08 (Jessica Howard)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is this any different from Juno Eclipse? She's in full Imperial Officer outfit, but SHE is acceptable from the RL? I call shenanigans.
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Jason, I disagree. There are enough differences for her variation to not be acceptable by the 501st. Furthermore, I think the opinions of the members of this club should count for something. The part of the charter you italicized is precisely why this costume is different than the Imperial version.

I'm sorry if I'm a bother, but I've been trying to do better at standing up for what I believe in! And I think there's a major issue with this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Jyn Erso and Other Rogues All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: