About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=b25c0ce20accbf4f7f120cfc86f99ee1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Come in and introduce yourself!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Archived Member Profile

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

With our shift to the new forums, I thought it'd be nice to re-start an introductions thread so new folks as well as those who've been around for some time can get to know a little more about each other.

So go ahead and tell us a little about yourself -- whatever you wish to share, there are no specific topics. Some basic info would be nice though, like where you live, when did you start "getting into" Star Wars/costuming and what you like best about it.

I guess I'll start off.

Hi all! I'm the Canadian Base Commander....for oh gosh...almost a year now (it's been THAT long!!?). I go by the name of "avatar" online -- lots of people call me "av" for short. In fact, I've been known to only answer to that name at cons because well...most people I've met at cons, I met first online and that's the only name they know me by.

I've always been a fan of Star Wars but *really* got into it when Ep 1 came out. I found a whole new group of people who were nuts about it as well and we just fuelled each other's enthusiasm. I made a whole lot of new friends which was very cool and we all actually met IRL at DragonCon the next year. But even before that, ObiWannabe actually flew up here with a friend just to visit me and go to SFX. This was mind-boggling at first because up till then we'd only known each other from emails -- to think she'd actually dare to come up here to visit...wow. Lucky for her, I didn't turn out to be some nutball...no hang on a sec...I AM a nutball. Oh well, that's fine because she's one too. Hehehe...

Anyway, I have the honour of owning the second set of Jedi garb she's ever made (the first was her own, I think) and so I was pulled into this costume stuff for good. Thanks ObiWannabe!

I'm in Toronto and visit Ottawa often (any Ottawa folks out there, please speak out!). The Canadian Base has been small so far compared to other bases I think so we sometimes "borrow" members from the US. Mookie and TD501for example, and I'm still hoping Goat will drop by one of these days. *HINT HINT*

We've got great ties with the 501st Canadian Base who are a wonderful set of people (even though they are bucketheads ) and we're always included whenever they have an event/activity. The latest big event had a few of us helping out at the Ep2 Charity Premiere in Toronto.

The next con we're planning on hitting is SFX Toronto. Aug 23rd to 25th. So if you're planning on being there, just head for the group of Star Wars folk and say hi. We're not that hard to spot.  I'll be posting more details on a meeting place/get-together the closer it gets.

Ok, who's next? And our resident buckethead should jump in here as well....

TK878 ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

*waves white flag*  don't shoot!

Hi Everyone, I'm the resident buckethead  that wanders in here.  Everyone calls me "SLam" for short.  I've been part of the 501st Canadian Garrision for two years now.  Someone also told me I'm the XO.    So I guess I'm kind of a Imperial representative here in the Rebel Legion boards.

I got into the Star Wars costuming almost by accident really.  I saw the CO of the 501st.ca at a movie theater in full Stormtrooper gear, and got hooked.  A few months later I ended up finding his site by accident, asked about the costumes, later found out he was the one I saw at the theater, etc. etc.  Long story short, I wear spandex and plastic in public.

I don't think I can be converted to the light side of the force, the dark side has more fun blowing stuff up! 

At conventions we usually hang out with the Rebel Legion, The Toronto Long Line, as well as other costuming groups in Ontario such as Young Jedi Niagara.

keodan brel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:54 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

well my name is kevin Aka Keodan aka K'tak

i've been in fandom for 10 years now and i have spent the last 5 years or so in a little group called kag till me and some of my house members left to start our own thing

i have run 3 ships (i cant remember the name of the first one couse i did not name it and i only held it for a short time till i formed my own ship the ikv So'taj, the ikv head hunter)

commanded 3 squadrons (steel fang, dark warrior, tuq'mar defence force)

and one fleet dark claw

the head of one of the biggest houses in klingon fandom House tuq'mar

head of the house line regester

i have attened over 200 events and origanized around 75

and am known as Commander K'tak sutai-Tuq'mar, epetai of the mighty house tuq'mar

but i am retiering from all that to give outher members a chance to try to do what i do (and i'm only 26)

started a small jedi fan club called knights of the force, then found out about rebel legion and in asking my members there thay thought it might be a good idea to join up here then to get the club off its feet

i'm also a member of 501 (SL02963) and i am hopeing ot find somone who has the moldes for a trooper uniform so i can to that outher then a sith lord (there over rated anyway)

i live in toronto been here all my life except when i moved to barrie for school

and i've been in to star wars sence i can remember but after ep1 i started makeing my jedi robes and learning how to make lightsabers

questions ?

ObiWannabe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

av invited me to come say hi, so I did.  Man, has it really been three years (almost) since I came up to see you at SFX? Wow! *sniff* I remember the days...

I promise you a better set of tunics. Once I can find what I did with the measurements I took from you. And hope they're not different!

Someday I'll make a return visit to that strange planet known as Canada...I promise!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

PEOPLE! There are people in here! YES!!!! No more talking to myself...I hope.

Welcome everyone, especially to the newer members like keodan (is that what we should call you?). What an interesting experience -- a (once)Klingon-Jedi...we'll have to see how that works out.

Yeah Slam, I think you're the unofficial Cdn 501st Rep in RL...Congrats! Now I have to think up all sorts of stuff for you to do. *EVIL GRIN* And if you refuse, well I have pics of you in *just* spandex.  *EVILER GRIN*

STACE! It's been AGES hasn't it. Sigh. And no DCon this year. Yes, you have to come visit sometime when you can. Was that about a jab about my measurements being different?! LOL! No I don't think they are, unless you measured crookedly the last time.  And Canada isn't that strange, we just have coloured paper money (as you Americans keep reminding us) and Timbits.

Maybe the MidWest and Canadian Bases can get together for something....I've been bugging Goat to visit too. *nudge nudge* 

TK878 ()

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:15 pm    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

Hi Keodan.  Don't worry about your Klingon past  a lot of the costumers that are involved with Star Wars costumes are also big in Star Trek as well.  You don't have to break up your "Knights of the force" group, it can still co-exist with Rebel Legion Canada.  There's a similar situation with "Young Jedi Nigara", (YJN for short).  They started independantly without knowing RL or 501st existed.  All the groups happily co-exist and share members.  Many members of "Young Jedi Niagara" are also members of 501st and RL. 

Hey ObiWannabe, you should come up to a convention up here in the Great White North.  Toronto Trek 2003, maybe?   Someone down there needs to bug the Goat to visit Canada some time.

Av.  You are so evil!  Nothing is more dangerous than a Jedi with a camera amongst Stormtroopers as they suit up.  It's black mail I tell you, black mail!!!!

Caitra Rein ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

Hello!

Gaah, I'm so nervous! I'm an ultra-newbie to the RL, and a newbie even to Star Wars fandom. Of course, I've /loved/ Star Wars since I was a wee-thing, but I've never actually become as obsessed as this until now. I'm working vigorously to create mold my character and make a costume AND gain adult-ness... only 5 more months and I can shed myself of my minor title.

And the other reason I'm nervous... >.< I'm American. *dodges thrown objects* I know I shouldn't be posting here, or actually, I don't know if anyone minds or not, but yeah, I technically am part of the Western Base, as I'm holed up here in northern Idaho. But I really hate it here, and hopefully, in a year, I'll be living in Canada, the Vancouver area. Don't ask me why I'm posting here or even posting at all, I just kind of... felt like introducing myself?

Anyway, yeah... I really like this organization and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better! Hope I did everything right.... *is really dumb, has never been on a message board before, just mailing lists*

Caitra
keodan brel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:26 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

ya you can call me keodan, althow i am klingon as well i am not and will not mix the 2 (klingon and jedi) becouse its cross universe and different time, and a klingon jedi is not possable klingons are more sith then jedi, and althow i will still dress at cons as a klingon i wil be retiering from services in the empire very soon so i can do the jedi thing and have more fun at it.

so is it possable to meet up with the base co sometime soon to talk about ideas i have ?

keodan

ObiWannabe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 7:29 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

hee av! I meant, I can't be sure that you haven't gotten *smaller* in the measurement area since I last took them. :-) that's a good thing! A very good thing! I wish I could say mine have shrunk in certain areas but alas...

Considering how much fun goat and I both had last year at DCon that Sunday night when the lot of us went out, I don't know why we don't corral the Base and bring 'em up to where you are - fun abounds! Dunno about Toronto Trek - is that better or worse or even comperable to SFX? Too bad now SFX is too close to DCon.

Mmmmmmmmm Timbits...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
keodan brel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

sfx is more of an expo then a con there is nothing ot do there outher then walk around the delers room and get your autographs were as t-trek there is a heck of a lot more to do and then there are the room partys
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

Caitra, a very big welcome to you! Please, don't be nervous, we don't bite! And hey, people keep saying Canadians are really friendly so that's double reassurance for you.  Everyone's quite welcome here, Canadian or not (ObiWannabe is one example). And if you are planning on moving to Vancouver, that's perfect! We definitely need some activity on the West Coast, so please keep in touch and you're MORE than welcome to hang out here. I hope to see you around often!!

Message boards aren't hard to get the hang of. Just something to keep in mind (this goes out to everyone really): It's REALLY easy to misread people online, so use smiley faces/emoticons whenever you feel your message may be taken the wrong way.

ObiWannabe, talk to Goat and if you guys are interested, we can come up with A Plan. Very Happy

keodan, if you have ideas, feel free to start a new thread and post them here. I'm sure everyone else will be interested to hear them as well.

ObiWannabe ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

A Plan! A Plan! Ooo! Ooo!

I can't guarantee I'll talk to goat before DragonCon. He's probably polishing his armor or something, and me, I'm trying desperately to finish the Luminara costume. But hey, as we're standing around talking about how much we miss you and Steph and Slam and everybody who can't go to DCon, maybe we'll think of something. Heheh!

keodan brel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

av

the ideas i have most of them i need to shat with you personaly eather in person or on icq so we can descuss them then after that i will be more then happy to post them here

keodan

Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

Well since Goat is too busy to just shoot the breeze now, any help convincing him would be great.

keodan. You can always try the fancy new PM system the RL website now has.

keodan brel ()
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Come in and introduce yourself! Reply with quote

been doing it but as you may or may not have noticed my spelling is a little off but i'll send you one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Canadian Base -> Canadian Archive All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: