Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e25874ceb34180cfdbffdb1c7593685fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo's TFA Holster Rig-Visual Reference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Han Solo's TFA Holster Rig-Visual Reference Reply with quote

We’ve been seeing a steady increase in TFA Han costumes being submitted lately, so I thought it might be a good idea to take a look at one of the most iconic pieces of any Han costume: The holster rig.

Like the movie itself, Han’s holster rig in The Force Awakens is a nod to the classic rig he wore in A New Hope. However, there are some subtle but important differences between them. This thread will hopefully point out some of those differences and help clarify what we, as judges, will be looking for. Starting at the front, we can see right away that the buckle is essentially the same as the ANH version:

The TFA buckle might be a slightly different size and shape (arguably), but close enough to the original. Working around to Han’s right (the viewer’s left) we see that the belt tools are also very similar to the ANH tools. It should be noted, however, that the cylinder is silver on this version, not green like the original one. It’s also longer that the ANH version. A regular Crossman CO2 cylinder works perfectly for the TFA cylinder. The little white relay-type boxes in the two square pockets are the same as ANH.

As we move around the belt to Han’s left side, the difference become more noticeable. On the ANH version, there was a little pouch with a flap closure fastened by a snap right next to the buckle. That was followed by the droid caller.

On the TFA version, the little pouch has been relocated much further around the side of Han’s belt, almost directly above his left hip. Notice also, the pouch no longer has the snap closure. We can assume the flap is secured by Velcro or something, but no snap here:

The back of the TFA belt is the most difficult to sort out, as Han’s jacket covers it for most of the film. I went bleary-eyed looking for screencaps that would give even a hint of what it might look like. These were the best I could come up with:

From what I can make out, the buckle appears to be the same as the ANH version. The biggest difference is with the snaps in the back. The ANH version had six snaps on either side of the buckle. Here however, it appears that there are only two on each side. Also, no metal disk here.

The holster is quite similar to the ANH version, except there is no “keeper strap” securing the blaster into the holster:

Another significant difference between this version and the ANH version is the thigh strap which secures the holster to Han’s thigh. On the ANH version, this was fastened using snaps. On the TFA version, the strap passes through a rectangular “D” type ring, and then doubles back and secures to a single stud on the inside of Han’s thigh area:

I think that covers most of the major differences. If anyone has any better/additional photos, or sees anything I missed, please post here.

Happy Building!!

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."

Last edited by CaptSolo77 (Brian) on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Old Solo ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very helpful. Working on the belt now....

"Did you call me Solo"
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tagged for reference. Smile

Although, CaptSolo, is that an ROTJ blaster I see, in that TFA holster? Wink
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:

Sharp eye!! It's an ESB blaster. That particular applicant was using it a placeholder until his ANH/TFA version arrived.

Pay no attention to that blaster in the holster!! This is not the blaster you're looking for!!..

"I may not be Han Solo, but I play him in real life."

Last edited by CaptSolo77 (Brian) on Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptSolo77 wrote:
kman wrote:

Sharp eye!! It's an ESB blaster. That particular applicant was using it a placeholder until his ANH/TFA version arrived.

Pay not attention to that blaster in the holster!! This is not the blaster you're looking for!!..

Ah, ok. The scope looked a little "sharper" than the normal M19 scope, more like the ROTJ variant, and the side mount wasn't fully visible, so I was guessing ROTJ.

But yes, clearly not TFA or ANH. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: