Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=08c1b61eeb94bdbe94e1154e17f56d3eMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Bespin Leia Gown - WIP, questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EldawenEmileia ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Bespin Leia Gown - WIP, questions Reply with quote

Hi,

Detailed post, coming through, please bear with me...

Preface: My personal costuming skills are sadly near to zilch, so I have to get help wherever I can find it, and also I'm pretty unknowledgeable about fabric types, sewing methods, construction methods, and... well, let's just go with "everything," because that's basically true. So, I got some assistance with fabric selection from one person who unfortunately had to back out before anything was sewn. Sewing and additional material help came from another person. Unfortunately, as clueless as I am, I originally didn't know where to go to research beyond what was available in the basic costume guides here - I didn't know about the forums as a resource, and neither of my helpers really knew much more than that either.

Long story short, I now have a partially completed Bespin Leia Gown, sewn out of fabrics which I am paranoid may not be the right color and/or materials. Mainly it's "just" the embroidery that needs to be done... if all else is fine. But...

Further research on the embroidery, and general discussions about this incomplete costume, with others of the Legion that I knew/met, have led me to believe my fears are not groundless. And... it also led me here, where I hope I can get some answers, as to whether there is a cure for what ails it, whether even a little bit of it is salvageable, or whether I'd be better of scrapping it entirely and starting fresh.

Whew. Okay. So. Here's what I've got. Pics!

Wearing costume - action 1
Wearing costume - action 2
Wearing costume - action 3
Wearing costume - rough-clipped (to mask out other people in the pic)
Cape - whole front
Cape - whole back
Cape - sheer view
Cape - detail
Tunic - whole
Tunic - detail 1
Tunic - detail 2 (also best view of material)
Pants - whole
Pants - detail
Belt
Shoes

All right, doc (or costume judge, or anyone else who might know for sure)... lay it on me. What's the bad news? Is there hope for a cure?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and thanks for sharing all of those photos. On the whole, I think you have a good shape going, but the devil is in the details.

First off, I recommend taking a close look at the standards: http://newsite.rebellegion.com/leia-organa-bespin-gown/

Your bun could stand to be bigger and higher, and you should not wear glasses when trooping with this costume. I have daily contacts pretty much just for costuming, but there are days when I forgot them and I trooped half-blind, and I know I'm not the only person to do that.

Your tunic, etc. might be a bit too red, as our standards call for more of a burgundy/maroon color. That could be dyed to the correct shade though.

Your cape is a pretty decent shape. The standards call for an off-white main color. Is your yoke white or off-white? I think the biggest thing that throws me off is that your outer layer of the cape should not be sheer, though the red lining is. The main part of the cape should be made of the same fabric as the yoke. I believe the lining is also connected to main fabric at the edges and bottom.

There is, of course, the embroidery. I remember someone on the Ladies of the Legions facebook group mentioning that she is trying to make a spoonflower version of the cape fabric that has guides for where to embroider, which could be a great asset if she's done.

Overall, I think you are off to a great start. Leia Buns

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in.
Welcome to the forum and I hope you'll be glad you went here. Smile

Okay, so the basic shape looks good. I'd say the tunic, pants and belt are too red, were I'd recommend something more like rust red or red-brown. I'm not quite sure about the fabric; the original is crepe de chine silk, which does not have a visible weave and is not knit like yours are. The knit might not be very visible, but I'd not recommend using a knit fabric for this costume.
Regarding shape the bottom of the pants shouldn't be gathered with an elastic, but just have a wide-ish cuff around the ankle. (This cuff should be cut on the bias in non-elastic fabrics, so it can give a bit).

Cape is a bit sheerer than it should be; preferably the off-white fabric should be semi-sheer. Not really sure about the drape either. I think you might want to re-research the cape and yoke and consider redoing it. I would also say to make the embroidery before attaching to the yoke would probably be easier, since the fabric of the cape should have large folds along the yoke.

I like your shoes. Are they covered with satin fabric? If you go with another fabric maybe you can dye the shoes to match.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: