Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f7211344c4a38ada6a792eadb944c9c8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lake Gown?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annifrid Skywalker ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Lake Gown? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I've been reading these forums for months ... time to actually start posting something Very Happy

So, I really wanna make Padmé's pastel lake gown. I fell in love with that dress the moment I first saw it. It's just SOOOO darn gorgeous but at the same time it's probably one of her least elaborate gowns. Sure, the dyeing's gonna be pretty complicated, and I've already spent quite a while trying to figure out how the hairstyle works, but there's no embroidery or beading or anything like that, and it's made using just two fabrics, none of which is particularly rare ... I need to have this costume.

Anyways, before I start (I mean, my mom starts - I can barely sew on a button) working on it, I have a couple questions:

1) The underdress. Padawan's guide and pretty much every tutorial I came across says it's made out of silk satin. However, all the silk satin (and all satin in general) I've ever seen was sort of ... shiny. The dress in the movie seems to have no sheen at all. So did they use some special non-shiny kind of the satin, or just the 'regular' one? This might sound like a really stupid question, but I'm a total newbie when it comes to anything fabrics/sewing related, and really wanna have it accurate Wink

2) I'm definitely not as flat as Natalie Portman. Could that be a problem? Is there something bra-like that can be worn under the gown? How do other well endowed Padmés solve this issue?

3) My hair's not even close to being thick enough for that crazy elaborate hairdo, so I'm gonna use (a lot of) extensions. Now, there's two options: I could either buy them in my own hair color (which is a Mara Jade-ish copper red), or go for complete accuracy and use dark brown. I'm leaning towards option #2 - besides it being more 'Padmé', I've gone through quite a few shades of red over the past few years, and I might change my hair color again someday ... if they're brown I can always just use some kind of temporary dye for the visible portion of my own hair. Any opinions?

Okay, that's probably enough ... for today Amadalia
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya. Smile

It's difficult to actually see much of the underdress, but the top edge shows satin used on the dress.
We have a few pictures here: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/?portfolio=padme-amidala-lake-villa-retreat-gown
And just so you know, it does have some beading, but not much.

Personally, I'm like you; I feel in love with the gown the moment I saw it, but I've never made it, because I knew I'd have to learn silk dyeing and ombré dyeing first. (That's my next project).

As for your second question, just make sure you take your measurements into account when making it. We don't judge on body type, just fit and craftmanship. (And of course, whether it actually looks like it does in the movie color, material, and stitchwise).

I'd learn towards option 2 in particular if you like to change your own hair color, but also if you just want to look a little more like Padmé does. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw the costume in one of the exhibits, it looked like a very, very fine silk satin, possibly why there wasn't as much sheen as most silk satins you find in stores.

The one woman I know who made the costume basically went without a bra and taped herself into the costume with fashion tape, but that won't necessarily work if you have a bigger chest.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two best sources for silk are DharmaTrading.com, which is all about white natural fiber fabrics and professional grade dyes, and ThaiSilks.com, which is pricey, but has specialty silks there. It's worth ordering samples! I really love Dharma's silk charmeuse, and the sanded charmeuse will have a duller sheen to it.

They also sell pre-made scarves which would be great for test practicing ombre dyeing. I think the fiber reactive dye is better for this type of project because the hot water acid dye for silks will dye very quickly. Basically, you would dip your dress into the dye vat (have it attached to something like a hangar) and raise it up a few inches every few minutes (with a water spray bottle to make sure the fabric stays wet)

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Annifrid Skywalker ()

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

Lora: I know a lot less about silk dyeing than you do (I've seen your flame handmaiden WIP) but I'm willing to learn. Definitely gonna practice a LOT before moving on to the actual gown.
As for the hair color, I'll likely go with dark brown ... if I have the dress, I'd better make the rest as movie-accurate as possible too Smile

SongOfAmazon: Fashion tape will probably do the job. I don't have extremely big boobs, just don't want anything inappropriate to be seen Wink

Leia: Just checked out Dharma Trading, and the sand washed charmeuse seems just right to me. (Of course I know I'd have to see it in person to be sure, but it sure looks like it'd work.) I also love the fact they have the fiber reactive dye in just about every color I can imagine! However, first I'm gonna see if I can get a similar fabric locally, as shipping & import taxes from the US are pretty pricey over here.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with it. Smile I'm still learning, but it has been fun (and kinda boring) so far, and if you use metric measurements, then you can get my conversions that I did for making my color samples. (Note I bought a precision weight for the sole purpose of dyeing and that's an investment, too. But it so precise, mmm).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this one and love it and am also large chested (DD).

First I went to a formal dress shop and bought a stick on bra meant for larger cup sizes that starts just under and sticks really well with a center clip - I was really skeptical but it does stop almost all bouncing which is important as without it I have bounced out of the sides of this one. Also I added a shelf bra layer to the actual dress - just a piece of swimsuit lining in nude with cups sewn in and a tight elastic across the bottom that sits just below my chest and helps hold it in and still. And finally when I wear it I fashion tape the sides to myself (the tape comes off the silk easily when you want it to and then I use baby oil to get it off my skin without ripping my skin off) to further enhance the hold and the support I built in.

I made my underdress out of a bridal silk with a bit of sheen but not a ton of shine to it that was also a bit denser than satin (to help with the hold and the support. And I sewed the whole thing FIRST then dyed it. All I had to do after dying was attach the over dress to the under at the neck (also sewn before dying it). I dyed the neck band too before sewing everything together. (There should still be the tutorial I typed up linked on the Tutorials page here as to how I did it all - I went really into depth because it took multiple tries to be happy with it - and multiple dresses before I was willing to submit for approval - the others all got sold to teens as prom gowns so not a total loss in $$ for materials).

As for the hair - I made mine a wig that sits just behind my hairline where the first headband is. I use my own hair for the front part only and put the rest in a bun to hold the wig in place (there is a space for it to sit in and hold up the conch shell part). All but the front band are built into the wig and I use the front one to cover the hairpins I use to keep the front of the wig in place and my own hair to cover the bottom pinnings. (this is all in my tutorial too in much better depth).

I love this costume so much - it is my favorite of all the ones I own - I dont wear it as often because I'm afraid of damaging it so I'm really picky as to the types of events I wear it to.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me to because I dont get on this forum as often as we have our own base boards, but I get emails for all my PMs and answer those ASAP.

Oh with dying I did use RIT and heat dying and did the yellow from the top and the pink and purple from the bottom (the inbetween colors are all from the mixing while on the fabric) and it only took a couple seconds for each for me so the fabric was still hot and wet from the previous colors as I moved between the three vats (I did a LOT of tests on the scraps of my fabric from cutting out the dress pieces first to get the balance and timing of each right and had all three colors next to each other in a line in order and immediately heat set the fabric in the dryer without rinsing it. The colors have stayed true to how they looked right out of the dye baths even with washing it after each wear (by hand in the tub in water as cold as my hands can tolerate with either woolite or baby shampoo).

And all my beaded pieces are separate and snap or eyehook on and off so I can use them to hide the zipper and snaps that I put in place to make taking it on and off easier and to help prevent the train from ripping if stepped on (the bustle is done with quick release snaps so it just comes undone and the fabric is ok if someone steps on it and I dont see them while walking. - it also helps me hide the zipper).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padme of Hidden Lake: Thank you for the bra info - really useful! I haven't worn anything that requires you to go bra-less since I was like 13, so this is a whole new world to me.

And I was thinking of doing pretty much just that with the hair - make a sort of a wig that starts where the first headband is, and use my own hair in a bun to hold it all up - so I'm happy to hear I was on the right track Very Happy I definitely don't want a full wig ... unless it's the really expensive lace front kind, they always look so obviously fake to me.

I've read your tutorial before, and will surely read it again, more than once. Hope I'll figure out how to PM someone when I need it Very Happy
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, and as to this concern:

Annifrid Skywalker wrote:

I've read your tutorial before, and will surely read it again, more than once. Hope I'll figure out how to PM someone when I need it Very Happy

You can send a PM by clicking the "PM" button at the bottom of that person's post or in their profile. Leia Buns

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: