Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=422366152d59149b1722977e18d6a8f9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Marvel Miniseries Costume

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
General Princess (Jordan Aldera)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Marvel Miniseries Costume Reply with quote

I fell in love with this costume the moment I saw this cover, and I made it last year for Emerald City Comic Con. That costume has since been cannibalized for parts and wasn't 100% accurate (or comfortable), so it's getting an upgrade.

The Flickr album with hi-res scans from the comic, plus all of my WIP pics is here: https://flic.kr/s/aHskCa3FMV

Since the standards aren't final, I'm working from Nomad Angie's proposed standards (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=773866#773866), with some notes and modifications.

I'd love any commentary and feedback, especially on colors and details, and suggestions for materials and techniques are always appreciated.

1. White, fitted jumpsuit in a non-shiny fabric with a standing collar. There are rectangular patches on the upper arms, biceps, elbows, forearms, and knees, and larger patches on the thighs. Patches should be the same or similar fabric as the jumpsuit. The front features a squared yoke and two vertical seams that extend from the bottom of the yoke to the tops of the thigh patches. The back has a rounded yoke and a center back seam. There is a front zipper placket, belt loops, and a wide waist seam.

I think the original thought was that this was the Hoth jumpsuit, but it's very definitely not. It's similar, but the shape and placement of the patches is different (these are squared and are also located on the knees and elbows), and it doesn't appear to be insulated or padded. That might be due to Terry Dodson tending to draw a sleeker, more superhero-like profile, but the difference between this suit and, say, Evaan's flight suit makes me think it's supposed to be very fitted, if not quite skintight.

I'm looking at using a combination of the Racing Suit patter from Green Pepper (http://www.thegreenpepper.com/product/408-willamette-racing-suit-pattern/) and YaYa Han's Zippered Bodysuit from McCall's (https://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m7341).

For the fabric, my instinct is to use a heavyweight nylon spandex or other sports/dance wear material, which is appropriate for this kind of outfit but doesn't seem very Star Wars-y. There are pros and cons to using a cotton or rayon knit, but the cons (thinner, warmer, less stretchy) are enough to make me shy away. Supplex is a contender, though I worry about it being too hot, and I've looked at Scuba Knit, which is a decent balance of everything I need but is textured. On the other hand, using a textured fabric could give it a more in-universe feel. Another option would be using a nylon knit as lining, to get that smooth profile, and adding a top layer of natural knit with similar stretch to tone down the superhero vibe. The downside to that is that it doubles the cost and the work. Rolling Eyes

Of course. There's always Jet Set. Razz

2. Vest or cloak
a. Light brown or cream vest with a standing collar.
b. White, off-white, or cream cloak with a deep hood.

I actually really like the cloak I made the first time around, so I'll probably just make a new version of that, with some adjustments. I've got about a mile of gorgeous white rayon that just begging to be something long and flowing. Smile

PS: The vest isn't the Hoth vest. Stand collar, no yoke, no diamond quilting, and it's definitely a darker color.

3. Brown or tan low-heeled boots in non-shiny leather or leather-like material with matching knee-high spats, worn with the jumpsuit legs tucked in. No buckles, straps, or elastic.

I was just going to make spats, but then I found these at Target:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-bonnie-riding-boots-cognac-10/-/A-50973448

AND they come in wide calf sizes! Truly, the cosplay gods have smiled upon this endeavor.

4. Off-white, cream or light brown leather gloves, worn with the jumpsuit sleeves tucked in.

Found some nice suede ones at a thrift store last year. The cuff is a little shorter than I'd like, but I'm going to remove the elastic in the wrist and see what that does.

5. Brown leather gun belt with octagonal silver-tone buckle in front and back and thigh holster with thin strap around the thigh. The belt has four to six small pouches with round closures.

It's basically the Han Solo belt with less greebles. I don't have an arm or leg to spare on buying one, so I'm planning to Frankenstein this together out of various belts and pieces.

6. Hair parted in the center with two large spiral rolls on either side and a third roll in the center back. Long, curled bangs framing face on both sides.

I actually managed a pretty good facsimile of the hair, but all the pieces I used for that are now, well, pieces of other things. I've got enough wigs to make another go at it, though, so fingers crossed.

Optional Items:

1. X-Wing Pilot Helmet with appropriate insignia.
Maybe. We'll see how my pilot build turns out.

2. DDC Defender long-barrel blaster. Got the Rubies already.

3. Gold hair pin shaped like the Crest of Alderaan, worn on the center hair roll. I'm gonna make it because it's pretty.

Emerald City is the first weekend in March, so I'm under a deadline and would like to have it done by mid-February-ish. The rest of October will be dedicated to commissions and sell pieces, so start date for this build is November. Wish me luck! Leia Buns
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Those aren't finalized standards yet, but they are probably your best guideline to go by. If you'd like to suggest changes to those standards, feel free. Wink

In planning and progress:
Summer Dreams Padmé, Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Saché, TOR Jedi

ALMO | Guam Regional Captain | RLGS Web Team | She/Her
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: