Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a8d713dbdb61a07a1fa4405b97c51075Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Galacticat's Jakku Rey [WIP]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on
View previous topic :: View next topic  
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Galacticat's Jakku Rey [WIP] Reply with quote

I've been researching and buying things for Rey since the movie came out, and today I finally started doing actual work on the costume. I ordered fabric from Dharma months ago, but it never showed up (pretty sure UPS delivered it to the wrong business) and I kind of lost steam after that. Finally re-ordered fabrics last week, and started doing dye tests today!

I'm getting close! I'm mainly torn on which fabric to use for the wrap. I know a lot of people have used the viscose from Dharma, but it seems so stiff to me, and has basically no texture. The JoAnn crinkle cotton isn't perfect, either, but I like the drape a lot more.

I'm hoping to eventually do full scavenger, but I may submit the base version first.

Here's a list of what I've got so far:

Shirt: Hemp cotton jersey knit (Dharma)
Pants: Stone Wash Crepe De Chine (Dharma)
Head wrap: Heavy Gauze (JoAnn / Cosplay by YH)
Arm wraps: Crepe bandages
Bracer: LeatherClad Legends
Gloves: eBay
Hip bag: Signals satchel
Boots: Po-Zu
Goggles: Kristen
Staff: Resin kit by JJ Griffin
Lightsaber: Graflex 2.0 (Korbanth)

Main thing I still need is the belt. Probably ordering that from LeatherClad Legends. I'll also need to eventually tackle the backpack!

I'm hoping now that I've started working on this I can get it together fairly quickly. Been putting it off for too long!
ubohica (Chris Fultz)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool! looks like a lot of research going on! Do you plan on getting a pistol as well?

"Life is an endless series of train-wrecks with only brief, commercial-like breaks of happiness."
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ubohica wrote:
cool! looks like a lot of research going on! Do you plan on getting a pistol as well?

I'm undecided. I've already got the staff and saber, and I've put SO much money into this costume. I may eventually print one, if there's a file floating around.
ubohica (Chris Fultz)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show Tested on Youtube... with Adam Savage did a show on a printed blaster and kit... If I come across the link again I'll post it for you....good luck with your Rey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUB56nic3lk

found it!

"Life is an endless series of train-wrecks with only brief, commercial-like breaks of happiness."
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent literally all day Saturday doing swatch tests, then dyed all my fabrics. Overall, I'm quite pleased!

The shirt fabric (hemp cotton jersey knit) came out great! Dharma no longer sells the natural color, so I had to start with the white. I used a very diluted dyebath with RIT Taupe.

I think the headwrap fabric (heavy gauze from JoAnn / Cosplay by Yaya Han) is all right, though I could go darker on it. I'll probably keep it as is and just weather it a ton. I threw it into the same diluted Taupe.

The pants fabric is stone wash crepe de chine from Dharma. I used a 50/50 mix of RIT Taupe and Pearl Grey. I mostly like the color but decided to add some green to them (see below).

The wrap dress fabric seems too grey to me, but it matches a lot of reference photos, and I know it'll photograph lighter, anyway. This is the JoAnn crinkle cotton, but I'm not positive which color it is, as it's been in my stash for a while - it's darker than their current Papyrus but lighter than the Natural. I threw it into diluted Taupe, but after it dried thought it wasn't grey enough, so I threw it into the leftover pants dyebath (Taupe + Pearl Grey) very briefly.

Here's the pants fabric after throwing them into some diluted RIT Apple Green:

(Swatches: original pants color, too much green!, final swatch.)

It's a bit hard to tell from the photo, but it looks much better to me now - the fabric was a bit too purpley before. A lot of the fabrics are a bit light, but I'm sure that'll be fixed with weathering. ;)

Now it's time to get to sewing! I'm planning on using the McCall's Rey pattern as a base and modding it for accuracy. I also just ordered my belt from Leather Clad Ledgends, so hopefully I'll have that in a couple weeks. :)
awindowacrossall (Jana)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. I'm modding the McCall's pattern as well.

galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After way too much time trying to figure out how the leg wraps work, the pants are done! I'll probably wear the wraps up most of the time, but I was determined to do them right!

(Apologies for the crap photo! Was home alone and this house we're staying in is a mess with no good spots for photos!)

After looking at several exhibit photos, I suspect there are actually three ties around each leg. This photo in particular seems to indicate that there's a loop that two of the ties go through, and the loop itself is formed by a third tie that is sewn down only at the ends onto the cuff edge.

Slightly better shot:

So, that's how I did mine:

100% accurate? Hard to say, but I've discussed this with another Rey and we're pretty sure this is close, at least! In any case, it works and looks just fine.

Now onto the shirt! Hopefully I'll have the new viscose I ordered soon - decided to try it instead of the crinkle cotton for the wrap, per the recommendations of some fellow Reys.
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a while since I last updated, but I've been slowly but surely working on finishing up Rey! Hoping to have her done very, very soon.

I just finished modding the Signals Satchel, minus the ALICE clip which I still need to get. Totally killed my fingers handsewing this back together!

Recently finished the shirt (figuring out the ribbed sleeve took some time) and dyed my new wrap fabric, which is crinkle viscose from a UK eBay seller. Much nicer and flowier than the JoAnn crinkle cotton.

I also made the headwrap this weekend, so all I really have left is putting together the staff kit and weathering everything! And eventually I'll make the backpack, but that may take a while. I got a wig, too, and will see if I'm able to style it to my liking. Not super optimistic about it, but it'd be nice to do both full scavenger and the simpler version.
stardancer1914 (Star Dancer)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the standard as long as you are wearing the headwrap you don't need to worry about the hair as no one sees it.

• United Citizens of the Galactic Republic DCO 2016 to present
  • UCGR - DXO 2015
  • Legion Costume Judge - Jedi & Rebel Supporters
  • Mos Eisley Base - Grand Canyon State

Your past is who you are today so move forward and don't look back
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stardancer1914 wrote:
According to the standard as long as you are wearing the headwrap you don't need to worry about the hair as no one sees it.

Yup, I know. Just like having options!
galacticat ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally debuted this costume last night - only took me like a year to complete!

First, some WIP photos I never got around to posting on here...

All the cloth pieces, post-weathering! I used watered down acrylics and spray paint on everything.

Close up of staff weathering. The staff separates into 3 pieces just in case I ever need to downsize it for traveling.

Test run! (minus bracer, which I can't get on by myself)

And now for the full thing!

And here's my action shot. Smile

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with it. I'd eventually like to get the backpack made, as well as style a wig so I don't have to do full scavenger all the time. I've just submitted the costume, so keep your fingers crossed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters -> New Star Wars costumes ep 7 on All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: