Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d9323f9712a51579e6a5df07587ae7fbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

My Red Invasion dress

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kesra (Samantha Ash)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: My Red Invasion dress Reply with quote

I guess I should actually make my own thread about this. So there's a competition coming up and I decided that I really want to just go all out and win. So for me to put that much work in tot his it was going to need to be a costume I loved.

Well I've loved this dress far longer than I've even been in to cosplay. I've always wanted it (most of the dresses actually) and it's one of my original dream costumes. But it's also a very technical project which means my sewing had to be up to scratch. But I think I'm there

So I don't have a lot accomplished yet but I hope to have this done by the middle of November.

I have the base for my hoop skirt worked out. It's a little tight at the hips so I'm gonna tweak my pattern just a little bit to give me more room there. The green was because I screwed up a few panels but it's an under skirt so who cares. I am super happy with this shape and just need to add the boning.

Here's my fabric test. I found some reasonably inexpensive Bengaline (which I know now is the weave name XD) and ordered a swatch. And I'm pretty happy with it. It has a super subtle sheen and it's stretch so it can do that little pucker effect you see around the seams. I'm gonna try to order this really soon. The piping is made up with some satin I had left over from another project. Obviously I'll have to buy some more. Gonna work on the mock up for the main dress while I wait for my fabric to get here.

Once I have the mock up done, I might just try to dye that fabric red and use it as interfacing or lining. I dunno. We'll see.

Started work on my tabbard designs. They still need a lot of tweaking. I might use my adobe app on my phone to put them in to shapes in illustrator and then tweak them from there. Gonna work with them as vectors so I can scale them without trouble and once everything is where I want it to be send it off to a friend who will do the machine embroidery for me. As a backup plan I'm gonna do the good old fashioned embroidery over puff paint. God I hope this works XD

For the mantle and tabbard I was thinking about the interfacing and I think I'm gonna go with felt for that task. It'll be hot but I've used it for armor in the past and it works pretty well.

For the head piece, I have some worbla laying around so I think I'll do that. Might still be able to find a pool noodle at Wal Mart so I'm gonna use that for the base of the hair. Barring that, I'll use rigid insulation foam.

Found this in my back room so I'll be using it I think. Bought it at a thrift store a couple years back in case it might come in handy. Lo and behold. I think I'm gonna wear it over a wig as I saw in someone else's progress (somewhere on the internet) since my hair is blue at the moment. I've seen success in people adding textures with puff paint so I'm gonna give that a whirl though I'm still gonna need to find some lace for the 'swords'.

I did find this though so I'm hoping that'll work for the top of my headpiece. I have plenty of worbla scraps and even paper clay to make the rest of the top doohicky

Makeup is being a bit difficult. I need to find a way to keep the white paint from making my teeth look so yellow....

So that's where I am!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you've got a great start on this. I like that fabric you've found. It's got a great color and texture to it. I look forward to seeing more progress on this.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the face paint they used an ivory paint in the film, rather than a bright white, because the white made the eyes look red. It is probably the same issue with the teeth as well. Smile
Kesra (Samantha Ash)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! So I didn't give up on this! I just got really caught up in working on it XD

So I got it to a wearable point yesterday and I'm super proud ofit. It's not finished yet and there's some spots I want to redo but here's what I've got!

I had something for the lanterns at the bottom but they looked awful and I did not finish that many seams for that.

Gonna need to finish the embroidery on the tabard.

I need to add the texture to the collar.

Probably going to redo how I put the fur on there. It needs to be thicker I think...

Bigger jewel and better topper for the head dress! It also wouldn't hurt to adjust the fit and add a strap to the back.

But I'm quite pleased and once I make these adjustments, I look forward to applying to the legion!
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good progress.
Besides your own list, maybe also a supporting underskirt to help keep the shape of the dress? It's tough to get it to stay as it should without one.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Kesra (Samantha Ash)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There actually is a hoop skirt underneath in the right shape. I think if I line the dress, it'll be more apparent. You're right though. It makes all of the difference keeping it perfectly trumpet-y.
Kesra (Samantha Ash)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working hard on some remakes!

Here's the progress on my new headdress so far!

I feel like it's far more accurate so far and it's certainly more comfortable![/img]
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks a lot neater and like it fits you a lot better so far. Nicely done!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good start on the headdress. Smile It looks like it fits you well.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: