Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6af7e39c77fa2532e0b5d6155a17aabbMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

The "real" RFT vest...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saifai ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a hint in the description of the standard, that there can be an other, more accurate pocket setup. With a link to a picture of a finished vest.

Standards wouldnt change but new members would know of the new pocket design.

But Tier 1 at the 501st does not mean, that you are (visible) less accurate.

E.g. TK: Tier 2 or 3 asks for things, you wouldnt see anyways.

E.g. using horse hair for the boba wookie braids, a male snap on the ab plate for stormtroopers, and so on...

Even if the pockets are not really visible on most of the photos they can be seen directly. And so (at least for 501st philosophy) the correct pocket setup would be Tier 1.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Paris Support Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this time, we do not have a tiered system. This is something that has been discussed in the past but has never been established because the RL has and incredible amount of different costumes and a tiered system will not work for all of our costumes.

What could be done with regard to the vest is to add the new configuration as an optional item....I don't think adding an optional item would be a big issue...would have to check if that would require a vote by the Detachment and all of the mind numbing steps involved with changes to a standard.

We also trust that anyone making the costume will do their research, check with others in their Base, and form their own conclusion.

Both new and old configured vests will be approvable for A New Hope.

For Rogue One...

in all likelihood...you will be required to make the new configured vest...
again...
that will be established when better information comes out and then a new standard will be made specifically for Rogue One RFTs.

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
navarre1095 (CHARLES GRAY)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifai, put up or shut up. Why don't YOU make an RFT and submit it for approval. Show us how it is to be done or go elsewhere and critique some other detachment that you don't belong to.

Rebel Legion Costumes: Fleet Trooper, Tusken, Old Ben (informal), Clone, Malakilli,

501st Costumes: Imperial Navy, Crew, Bantha Rider, Clone, Zuckuss, Snowtrooper, Malakilli, A'sharad Hett

XO- HMS Hexapuma, Captain (jg) TRMN

Ordained Priest, Church of the Latter Day Dude
Saifai ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navarre1095 wrote:
Saifai, put up or shut up. Why don't YOU make an RFT and submit it for approval. Show us how it is to be done or go elsewhere and critique some other detachment that you don't belong to.

I am waiting since 12/August for an answer to my last question: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77723

What should i say...

Btw i will talk with the LCO about your behavior you show here against me. Absolutely unacceptable!
501st: Tusken, Staff & Warrant Officer, Bridge, Scanning & Mechanical Crew, Gunner, TK Stunt & Hero, TIE Pilot & Reserve, Navy Trooper (Normal & Dress), Greedo, Boba Fett, Ponda Baba, AT-ST, Kithaba, Royal Guard, Shoretrooper
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when we were to go to a tiering system, it could work... but as Phyllis said, it's tough to do... and would certainly take time. Maybe we should only implement it on an as-needed basis? Just food for thought... something to ponder.

If I get the time, I could do a write up, just on a "grins and giggles" experimental basis.

Saifai wrote:

I am waiting since 12/August for an answer to my last question: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77723

I responded in the other thread re: your sleeves. I hope this helps.

...I also took a hard look at the relatively recently improved standards for the RFT...

I was also impressed at the changes. I see the new options and the pick 3 required, including:

Quote:
4. Large open pocket on the upper back of the vest with a center Velcro closure. Proportional to wearer and should go almost from armhole to armhole

5. Strip of 4 pockets along the bottom hem of the vest approx. 5″ tall

6. Accurate front pocket layout consisting of long and narrow upper right pocket with tab closure and left upper pocket should be smaller than bottom two pockets

I think it is entirely feasible to add another option for the front pockets. Why not? It doesn't hurt anything.

I think one thing that would be beneficial regarding these new pockets would be some drawings on the costume standard, or a link in the references showing all of the pockets. But I suck at that, so I'm "not it." Smile I could do them on paper, but getting that into a computer graphic... not so much.

On a side note, Phyllis -- I'm building a shore trooper from Rogue One as we speak (and while attempting to finish the Battlefront Desert Rebel). I'll bring it next time I head out to South Bend and see if I can troop with you in your R1 RFT. It's not that far of a drive from South Bend to Chicago.

Cool

Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:

On a side note, Phyllis -- I'm building a shore trooper from Rogue One as we speak (and while attempting to finish the Battlefront Desert Rebel). I'll bring it next time I head out to South Bend and see if I can troop with you in your R1 RFT. It's not that far of a drive from South Bend to Chicago.

Cool

Cool...sounds like a plan....

I am sure there will be changes to standards and new standards after Rogue One arrives...I am taking a "wait and see" attitude as we really need some better views of quite a number of costumes.

it's kinda weird though...

the premier is not really that far off and I have not been seeing much new information/photos etc being shown lately.....I have been really busy lately...but usually catch new information as it gets posted...

Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/146545263X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2RK0NF1HD45HW&coliid=I34ILNM6L5EPLD

It's easier on the Shoretrooper, because they had them at the conventions earlier this year. I even have the 3.75" action figure on my desk now, and a binder with over 90 high quality pictures in it.

I'm disappointed that they don't have the new RFT as an action figure. I have not seen anything about it in any of the lists I have seen. Sad

Actually, I've been very disappointed with what they have done for costumes and toys for the rebel troopers, both in EP7 and R1. They're making it tough to do basic rebel troopers across the board.

Where are the iconic, good, basic cannon fodder Rebels?!?!?

G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have not heard a word about movie release troops etc. I honestly don't know if this will BE a big deal when it comes out.

I can certainly appreciate the wait and see approach. but I do think adding a line ( which is almost as much effort in the long run as creating a new Standard) will create a level of confusion and mix -n-match applications.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another screen grab...and tabs

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the book either!

I think we see elements of all of the original trilogy in the R1 troopers. You have the RFTs, Ground Crew, and the commandos who are wearing Hoth-like hats and Endor Donuts. There is a lot of diversity, that's for sure, so a "standard" may be quite a challenge to come up with.

Obey Wann wrote:
I can't wait for this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/146545263X/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2RK0NF1HD45HW&coliid=I34ILNM6L5EPLD

It's easier on the Shoretrooper, because they had them at the conventions earlier this year. I even have the 3.75" action figure on my desk now, and a binder with over 90 high quality pictures in it.

I'm disappointed that they don't have the new RFT as an action figure. I have not seen anything about it in any of the lists I have seen. Sad

Actually, I've been very disappointed with what they have done for costumes and toys for the rebel troopers, both in EP7 and R1. They're making it tough to do basic rebel troopers across the board.

Where are the iconic, good, basic cannon fodder Rebels?!?!?

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
MRex21 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating topic.
Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is sad, but R1: Ultimate Visual Guide will not provide much RFT material ... Sad ...
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to necro this topic, but I watched Rogue One again and paid special attention to the RFTs at the end. At one point, you can see the single-flap pocket on the right side, just like the RFTs in ANH (both on Tantive IV, in the hangar, and during the ceremony).

I believe the triple-pocket seen in the prop store picture is mislabeled. The timing, being sold shortly after filming R1 wraps, seems oddly suspicious. This vest is prominent on the MP and featured on an MP in the Visual Guide.

It is far more likely that prop store mislabeled a Rogue One vest. The width of the pocket flap in the Studio Creations analysis, the action figures, the Hot Toys figure, the Sideshow Collectibles figure, and all of the video game models have the same single-flap pocket. The only time a multiple-flap pocket has come up was during the Rogue One trailers, the Rogue One Visual Dictionary, and a prop store auction that happened after Rogue One wrapped it's primary filming.

But, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently came across this thread. I'm part of Prop Store and also authored Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy for Lucasfilm.

The two vests from our last auction are absolutely originals from 1976 - no chance they are from Rogue One.

It's true reference photos for these characters (in ANH) are scarce, and sometimes the costumes are confused because many shots in the opening sequence are flopped, showing the pockets on the wrong side.

Here is an ANH photo confirming the triple pocket configuration. I've enhanced the levels to make it visible.

Best
Brandon
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ba100583 wrote:
Hi all,

I recently came across this thread. I'm part of Prop Store and also authored Star Wars Costumes: The Original Trilogy for Lucasfilm.

The two vests from our last auction are absolutely originals from 1976 - no chance they are from Rogue One.

It's true reference photos for these characters (in ANH) are scarce, and sometimes the costumes are confused because many shots in the opening sequence are flopped, showing the pockets on the wrong side.

Here is an ANH photo confirming the triple pocket configuration. I've enhanced the levels to make it visible.

Best
Brandon

Thank you so much for your input. We have found images from the Prop Store as great sources of information and construction details that we would never have seen if not for your images.

Thank you again!! Your images are invaluable.

Blair wrote:
It is sad, but R1: Ultimate Visual Guide will not provide much RFT material ... Sad ...

no one was more disappointed than me...

also...
there was little on the original RFT costume in the "Costumes of the Original Trilogy" book....

It has always been said/implied that very few RFT costumes survived...most were tossed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: