Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0f720e23afc559dc4aca6dccfbcdb1a8Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Event Photography - Do's and Don'ts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bizarro Amy (Amy Hill)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Event Photography - Do's and Don'ts Reply with quote

Ghost Base has some really excellent photographers, so hopefully they will chime in here. Ashlee and Gina have gotten us consistently great pictures for our social media. And our friends in Carida have been kind enough to let us share their photos as well. However, sometimes we need other members to step up and help out with photography duties. For example, this weekend, I am asking 3 new squires to take pictures at the Symphony. I thought it might be helpful to start discussing what we're looking for in event photography, that will make Ghost Base members look their best.
ashleecarrozza ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be happy to help! Do you know what kind of cameras they will be using? If they have the ability to use full manual or some manual functions I can help a bunch, especially when it comes to choosing the right settings for inside photos. I actually have some cheat sheets written up for using manual mode that I would be happy to share!

I think it's all about capturing moments. The usual group shots and what not are always fantastic to have, but once you have those down my biggest suggestion is to start getting detail shots and candids. Go in really close, get those unique angles, check your background for distracting elements, use foreground to create framing, look for people's and children's reactions, and follow rule of thirds. Those are all the basics I follow at least :-) I hope that helps!!
Bizarro Amy (Amy Hill)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite pictures are often just kids high-fiving the characters.

Ashlee, could you tell us a little about the Rule of Thirds?
riathewolf (Alexandra Wolsiefer)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in on the type of camera since my hubby is one of the squires. We have a Canon Rebel XSi that we would be happy to bring if it helps. I know that Amy, you said you were bringing a camera as well. So we can bring it or not. I will also pass on all the tips posted here to him.
Jayben Kenobi (Joshua Curry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am down for taking pictures for everyone. I may need just a simple crash course in how to use the specific type of camera we decide to use once I get to the event. pics
Schraeds (Matt Schraeder)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rule of Thirds - Wikipedia to the rescue
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

Here are some specifics on things that I've noticed from good pictures or been told by photographers (mainly Ashlee). Some have been mentioned above.
1) Get down on the kids' level. Get a picture at their height.
2) Look at the background lighting. Is someone silouetted from behind? That can black out their face, but could also highlight their outline.
3) If someone gets in the way of the perfect shot, then use that. Get a picture of that person taking a picture. Include the image on their camera screen.
4) Use foreground clutter as framing. Line up your subject between 2 people.
5) Look for interesting/funny things in the background.
6) High fives and reaction shots.
7) Get close-ups. You might not get the trooper or all of the troopers, but you get more of the "interesting" subject.
Cool Get unique angles. High, low, from the side, from the back.
9) Take a LOT of pictures. Digital film is great for that, and you increas the odds of getting that awesome shot.
10) Use black-and-white at times, if possible.
11) Look for props/signs that could be used for funny posed shots.
12) Take a lot of pictures of me. (Hi, Gina. Rolling Eyes ) Ashlee is great at this. Laughing
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Jayben Kenobi (Joshua Curry)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tips there Matt especially the last one! HAHA! I've worked concerts and church events in the past so I have some experience with close up shots, getting down to a child's level and such. Where I am least experienced is adjusting the camera's settings to make the shot look a certain way. I'll need some guidance for that. Also if there is some type of schedule i could have that would show when the BIG photo ops of the event that would be great so I could get in a good position beforehand. By the way BIG photo ops is defined as members being called on stage for something, taking a photo with a member of the Hersey Symphony etc..etc..
Schraeds (Matt Schraeder)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayben Kenobi wrote:
Also if there is some type of schedule i could have that would show when the BIG photo ops of the event that would be great so I could get in a good position beforehand. By the way BIG photo ops is defined as members being called on stage for something, taking a photo with a member of the Hersey Symphony etc..etc..

The Symphony contact should have that information when you get there. Our POC should be able to get it for you when you arrive.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to use angles because it suggests action and tension at the same time...

https://www.facebook.com/297408860596927/photos/pcb.357116147959531/357115854626227/?type=3&theater

If that means getting on the ground and taking the picture backwards and upward, selfie-lens in use, then go for it. Or going up to a high vantage point and putting people on a diagonal stance:

https://www.facebook.com/297408860596927/photos/pcb.357116147959531/357115757959570/?type=3&theater

Just some things I learned in art. Wink
Alarion Ero'neth (Spencer C. Huff)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving this to the main Ghost Base sub-forum.

"As Jedi, we must do what is right - not what is easy."
mkourim05 (Matthew)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since someone asked about the rule of thirds, here is a link to a site that breaks it down a lot easier than I can explain it here.

http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: