Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=34136c9453b9a42f3b025a3f4151e245Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

BOOTH/TABLE DISPLAY UPGRADE IDEAS WITH PICTURES!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayben Kenobi (Joshua Curry)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: BOOTH/TABLE DISPLAY UPGRADE IDEAS WITH PICTURES! Reply with quote

Greetings Ghost Base,

I wanted to start a thread to discuss ideas for upgrading the Booth/Table Display to find out what we have and what everyone's feelings are about upgrading. Here is what I know we currently have for a set up:

Current Set Up:

display table 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

display table 2 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

It looks like we are off to a solid start to have a great booth display that would make event attendees say "Hey, I want to make sure that one of our stops at this event is the Ghost Base's Display Booth." We have a variety of helmets, nice banners, weapons, and character props such as the Power Droid. I looked around on the Forum as well as the internet to see what some other folks were doing for Displays and there are some pretty awesome ones out there. Here are a few I saw *note some are 501st Displays

Cool Displays:
trash compactor by Josh Curry, on Flickr
Trash Compactor

tatooine backdrop by Josh Curry, on Flickr
Tatooine Outer Wall and Door

rebel ship interior by Josh Curry, on Flickr
Rebel Ship Interior

Looking at these images can give us something to shoot for.

Current Road Blocks:

As cool as these Booth Displays are and as cool as they would be to have, Ghost Base currently has a few obstacles to overcome to make our Booth Display something this grand. I will list a few:

1. Money-Unless someone here is a millionaire and is hiding it from the rest of us, this will usually be our biggest obstacle. I know we all want to make Ghost Base the best it can be but we all are volunteers that have to take care of our families first and foremost. We will need ideas on how to raise funds to purchase building supplies and such.
2.Storage Area-Set pieces and props in general have to be stored somewhere. Small props can be easily put in a basement while large set pieces can be a little more difficult to store to keep out of harmful weather and such. We will need to know who in the base can find storage space before building any large scale props.
3.Transportation of the Set Pieces and Props-Small props are easy to deal with and can be put in a trunk with no issues but a Rebel Ship Interior Wall for example would need to be hauled in a decent sized trailer.

I think we can start doing things on a small scale and work up to the larger, more impressive props for our booth display. I will outline some possible ideas for starting small in this thread later on today so stay tuned!! Mr. Green

Updated

Starting Small

Costume Displays-Costumes are something that we already have available and if a member has more than one it could be brought as a display piece at the booth. A cheap way to display a costume could be to get a mannequin torso and display the top half or make a life size mannequin out of PVC and good 'ole duct tape. Here is a costume I made out of foam (except the helmet) and I made a duct tape mannequin to display it.

mannequin display by Josh Curry, on Flickr

vbs display1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Weapon Display-Same as the costume display, if we have weapons from the Star Wars universe that we use for costumes, we can display those in some fashion as well.

Small props that add nice touches- The list for this could be endless. There is so many little cool props in the Star Wars 'verse that could be used. The other day I was talking to Justin C. and he suggested a hover crate from Star Wars Rebels.
rebels crate by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Black Series Toy Booth-The credit for this idea goes to Dagobah Base. They made an awesome booth that is a big draw for them at conventions. I contacted them and got the specs for this one. It could actually be built to fit in the back of an SUV and could be assembled once at the site of the event. It's a vertical prop so it doesn't take up too much floor space once its been assembled. Pretty cool!
display idea 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Vinyl Backdrops-Much easier to haul and set up than a large scale prop. Any background could be printed and displayed.

Medium to large sized Movie Scene Set - This one is a little more ambitious and would require more planning. It also starts to venture into some of the issues we discussed (money,space,transportation). Here is an example of a Movie Set build. *credit goes to Dagobah Base and Alpha Garrison for this build
Death Star Set 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

This is a pretty cool looking set and believe it or not, they hauled it in the back of one pickup truck. No trailer needed. They specifically built it to avoid transportation issues. The dimensions of each panel is 4 ft' by 8 ft.

background display 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

background display 3 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Easily assembled once at the event
background display 2 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Being the good guys of Star Wars we wouldn't build a Death Star Interior but we can use the same structure set up to make some like this.
sabine-graffiti-star-wars-rebels by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Increasing Interaction with Event Attendees

Another option to add another "WOW Factor" to the booth is finding ways to interact and entertain those who are attending the event. Some of the 501st have a "Shoot at a Trooper" which is a way they raise money and entertain event attendees. They set out Nerf guns and let adults and kids blast away at their members which I think is totally, totally AWESOME!
booth perk 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Cool little Star Wars themed donation jar that adds a nice touch to the display table
display idea 2 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

We could use the same concept here and have a Jedi Force training or something for the good guys. Some other interaction options with event attendees could be Star Wars themed games. These would probably be geared more for kids but adults could get a kick out them too.

Destroy the Death Star!-Cornhole board wth printed Star Wars Image
interaction 2 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Star Wars Vehicles-Although not screen accurate lol, these little vehicles would be a draw to the booth for kids and parents to use for a photo and a smile.
interaction 4 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Let the comments begin!

Last edited by Jayben Kenobi (Joshua Curry) on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
gplatzer (Gina Platzer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to hurry up and become a member! I love your enthusiasm. Smile we have been trying to build a booth display. Sadly, the Yoda is borrowed and we don't have him. But, we would love to keep building on your ideas. The power droid is mine and his name is Gonky. Smile I'd love to be able to have a set up for photos, etc. one thing we are currently working on is a base banner to be hung behind the table.

Please keep the great ideas coming!!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gina! I currently have my costume at the seamstress because I have zero sewing ability lol. I still need to order a Jedi belt as well but I can't do that until my costume is sewn. Once I get my costume back I can measure how long to make the belt. I'm working towards my approval though.
Its taking longer than I would like lol but hey Yoda Patience I must have lol.
Schraeds (Matt Schraeder)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to consider is the amount of space that we get at conventions. How often is there an event where we get that much room? Most of the time, we have little more than a table.

I don't mean to kill any enthusiasm, but I'm weighing effort vs. usefulness. Of course, I won't stand in anyone else's way if you want to do something. If I don't have to do anything, then you can do what you want. Cool
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
CMCHammer (Justin Cunningham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt did raise a few good points that we didn't talk about before. I would like us to go the direction of having some of these resources available but many times booth space is limited. Several of us were able to acquire mannequins recently that would be nice for displaying Jawas and some other costumes on. A few of us have talked about cheap alternatives for making busts as well to display the tops of costumes.

The vinyl backdrops are fairly easy to do but do need approval for each time they are displayed. They cost about $150 each to be printed which is why we have looked to the branded banners first. I am really fond of some of the small backdrops and the black series box as well.

The activities to work with fans are nice too. I like the water jug R2 and if we have charities on site it might work. We have another idea that has been discussed by members that is unique but will cost a little to create. Gina and Jim have a themed cornhole game thanks to the work of Jess and Bobby. The pool noodles are something we avoid. Some of our members and many more of our brothers and sisters in the 501st Legion are masked and have fallen victim of kids with pool noodles.

A lot of good ideas and ones we can definitely try to work on for some events that will allow us more freedom. Discussion of these thoughts. Those that may have resources willing to help with these would be great.
rtdubz (Trey Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the ability to make something like the rebel ship^ as seen in the OP but I do not have the money to work on it, I have been looking into making something like that as well and am working on a gun rack/wall with light up name tags for guns and stuff.

I really think we should focus more on the costuming aspect for booths as that is really what the eye catcher is, people want to see and touch things and that is what gets them interested.
rtdubz (Trey Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do also think that if we had some big sets like seen at WV popcon, when talking with organizers of events it would be beneficial to mention we have those things available and pictures (if we have them) and the organizer can go from there if they would like to give us more space or not
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of logistics (again), we would need a way to transport the big sets. If it is stored in the east and there is a convention in the west, then it would be tough to get it there. You also need vehicles capable of towing the trailers.

If no one can store the pieces, then you need to consider the cost of a storage unit. And a place to park the trailer.

I would suggest getting the storage and transportation arranged before anything else if we eventually go the big display route.

I agree that the banners and backdrops are a good start. No as expensive, easy to transport, store, and set up.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good discussion fellas. I wasn't too familiar with how much booth space is given at conventions so thanks for pointing that out. Just from looking at this photo, it appears Alpha Garrison's display is not much wider than the table in front. Maybe they run into the same issues with space. What do you guys think? If the back section is built in 4 ft sections maybe just have two 4 ft sections for the back giving us a horizontal "footprint" of roughly 8' 0" of floor space. (just trying to think of ways to overcome the obstacle)

Death Star Set 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

booth perk 1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

Like Trey said, maybe by speaking with the convention/event planner we could maybe ask for a bit more space. Having a nice prop they can advertise could be leverage for us.

Definitely storage, money, and transportation are the biggest restrictions currently and like Matt pointed out depending on where we store it, the set wouldn't be available for every event due to everyone living multiple hours away from each other.

Much to contemplate Yoda
rtdubz (Trey Walker)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panels are easily made out of hard foam that comes in huge 4 foot by 8 foot sheets at Home Depot, I can CNC them out to whatever I want, then paint and done, they fit easily in my car and I can store and transport them, but they would have to stay with me of course
CMCHammer (Justin Cunningham)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having it as a discussion topic with event coordinators could help. Might bring more interest in having us and encourage them to provide more space. I know of at least 2 conventions that this could happen and several events I have worked with before. To coordinate something of that size I think the only time it would probably be beneficial is if it is a multi day event.

The tattooine backdrop wouldn't be too hard. Sparkle, paint, and some skill to make the door would be pretty simple. We have a lot of desert characters or ones that could have traveled to a desert planet.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can talk to Corellia about the Tattooine backdrop if we go in that direction.
TB/TK-99920, Jedi
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtdubz wrote:
Panels are easily made out of hard foam that comes in huge 4 foot by 8 foot sheets at Home Depot, I can CNC them out to whatever I want, then paint and done, they fit easily in my car and I can store and transport them, but they would have to stay with me of course

Hi Trey!You have a CNC Machine? CNC...Vac forming...You are legit bro! Are you talking about the Pink or Blue Insulation type foam? I've seen some incredible props made out of that stuff. Garrison Titan and Alpha Base made an awesome Millennium Falcon Chess Corner Bench and they used pink insulation foam for the backrest part of the bench and used a product called StyroSpray 1000 to coat the foam giving it a hard shell.

falconbench1 by Josh Curry, on Flickr

We could use that type of foam to make the door and the little white square pieces that make up the outside door jam making the door fairly light and easy to move around.

tatooine backdrop by Josh Curry, on Flickr

The only thing is StyroSpray 1000 can be expensive. 2 Liters shipped is somewhere around 55 bucks. I've never personally used it so I'm not sure how far the 2 Liter trial Pack would go. There is as another product that is similar called Styroplast that gives a hard, plastic coating. It's 85 buck plus shipping for a gallon. Foam is definitely cheaper than wood but I'm not sure which comes out to be more expensive in the end if we were to purchase plastic coating for the foam.

Things that make you go hmmmmm

Neutral
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/146556065@N07/28717975433/[/img]

I love how a backdrop is framed by the open door in this picture.

If we made foam sections that were 4'x4' or 5'x5', and then jointed or velcroed together, they could travel easily in a minivan.
gplatzer (Gina Platzer)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is our cornhole boards.

(I'll get the photo up eventually)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Ghost Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: