Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5046920c807da2b02ed54e61d6511357Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Saber, go with sound or no?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmiteKnight ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Saber, go with sound or no? Reply with quote

My question is - how distracting/annoying does the sound get while you are 'Trooping'? Since a quality saber with sound can add almost $100 to the cost I am wondering if it is worth it or if I am fine going without sound.

Thanks!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to add sound to all my sabers. But now I just skip it as it really doesn't bother me to not have any...and I hate spending the extra cash on sound that doesn't show up in pics Razz.

The sound isn't really distracting, though. And it does add some fun at cons and troops. But, for me, the extra cost has just become something I'd rather not spend. I don't swing my saber around or duel at all, so the only sound you really hear on mine is the start-up/shut-down and the idle hum.

Judicial Officer-Mandalorian Mercs
Nes'ari (membership officer)-The Dark Empire
ADarkJediMaster (Rebecca Price)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether I would recommend adding sound depends on how much you will be using the saber when not trooping. Sound is awesome, and when I'm practicing with friends, or playing with the sabers before a con or after, then I love it. But I also have a saber that I can turn on muted, and that is typically what I do while trooping. You can't hear it much in most venues, so it is just using battery power unnecessarily. If you only plan on owning one lightsaber you may want to go with sound just so you do not feel the need to upgrade when you get around people that have it.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to start finding it annoying after a while and wishing I could turn it off, but keep the light on. Rolling Eyes
In a noisy environment you can't hear it at all.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/
Lupus ()

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know its an older thread but Lora, the sabers from VadersVault can be muted easily. Have two of them and they are awesome (okay pricy too). Not sure about Saberforge but maybe they make it similar. If you have one of theirs, maybe ask them. On VV sabers its just made while holding the second button pressed (the one for lock on effects) and then push the activation button. Then only light ignites and light effects work without sound.
Master_Dalo (Joe Wolf)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SaberForge Venom...

http://www.saberforge.com/elite-sabers/venom-saber

and can't say enough good things about it!!

Not only can I mute it, I can adjust the sound volume up or down... I can also set the sensitivity of the motion sensor (which determines when it makes the "swooosh!" sound when moved) as well as any blade "flicker." A 12w LED makes sure that the blade is "visible" even in daylight!!

A quick press of the on/off switch gives me a "blaster deflection" sound as well!!
Ky-Wan Zann ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple different sabers for different things, one with no sound for performance fights like a Saber Guild performance or one where the sounds can't be heard over music, and one with sound for my own and my fight prtners enhancement of the fun. If your budget isn't that big then you might as well get it and then next time get one with no sound if you think your not gonna troop a lot then it doesn't hurt for the sound as long as it's installed to take a hit or two
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: