About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a5ae424da4704a9f24c3d18540fa0057Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Armageddon Conventions - Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost -> Naboo Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorman (Dean Brown)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfirephoenix wrote:
Our biggest is Melbourne - over 2 days there were over 17,000 people.

Smaller numbers.. but cooler stuff.

The Delorean! Surprised
Commander_Barriss (Sarah)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're hoping to visit Auckland and then travel around bit. We're both Lord of the Rings fans as well so we'll be going to see bits of that area as well. We want to try and travel all over if we can fit it in. We're basically planning on going to Melgeddon and then leaving there for Auckland and doing geddon there and we'll stay around for a week or 2 and see as much as we can. Smile
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For feel Melbourne is a lot like Wellington, though more spread out. I think I said at the mixer that Melbourne had changed a bit in the last few years? So has Welly and in a very similar way. Though we don't have multiple shows going on at the same time usually Wink Baby show, travel show and Geddon, that was interesting. Suits, prams and costumes.

Auckland is easier to negotiate as you can get out of a hall into the foyer and into another hall to by pass a lot of congested halls. That foyer is not quite as brilliant for sci-fi shoots as in Melbourne but not a bad substitute.

We don't have the stands like in Oz. I noticed SydNova had the same kind of overhead signage (which is so helpful) that is identical to each stand, except those along the walls. We do have those carpet partitions though so stands have their own divided space. it means though it can be hard to see what stand is where so getting a printed map and highlighting where you want to be is a bit more needed Wink Actual stands are fairly similar though we have more gaming (wide area for card gaming) and non geek stands (Whitcoulls is regularly there and we may well have the"enrol to vote" stand again Wink )

And Auckland is when all the cosplayers bring out their big guns and totally overtake the show Wink We have the same casual cosplayers as in Melbourne (the ones who get a bit excitable and hang out in large numbers) but more of the kind of work we saw from the Xena girls and Derpy and Derper (who I love!!! I wanted to carry them home in my luggage). So if you want costuming love Auckland is definitely the one.
Wellington is pretty much the first big showing, so there are also a lot of cool costumers go to that one.
Gaming seems to be the really big drive for costumers here atm. So some really amazing complex and colourful and challenging stuff Smile And they are all so freaking young and adorable and skilled! If you post on the forums you will be able to arrange a photoshoot of epic proportions like you do for the RL shoots Wink

Auckland does have sights to see, and I'd be so very happy to be tour guide Smile We are on a volcanic field (that's right a field not just one or two, sigh early settlers, gotta love 'em) so heaps of hills to get good shots from Wink And you need to go to Howick! Some of the historic houses have such amazing light. Catherine has one of my photos to paint which was taken with a very basic 2M point and click digital camera and the light made it work.
The Civic has gold Elephants and a starry ceiling, and there is the sky tower and Britomart.

It'll be so cool to see you again Smile Though no doubt I'll see you in Melbourne before again Wink Though be busy again. And there is a place we can do cocktails fairly close by here in Aucks Smile
starfirephoenix (Alison)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorman wrote:
starfirephoenix wrote:
Our biggest is Melbourne - over 2 days there were over 17,000 people.

Smaller numbers.. but cooler stuff.

The Delorean! Surprised

The Delorean is pretty cool. I had trouble getting in and out of it in my USO girl though lol. I really want to make it over for Auckland Geddon one year. Crossing my fingers it'll happen! Smile
Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would be nice to meet you if you made it over Smile
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update before I fly out the door for my bus Wink

The 501st is raising money for the Auckland Ronald MacDonald house so I have a bag, pamphlets and postcards and business cards and money cans. I suspect I'll be traveling back with the cans, but I'll see if we can keep the paper stuff in the Waikato as I can always pick up more up here Smile
Ember ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christchurch Armageddon is just around the corner, on the weekend of June 30th / July 1st 2012. That's just under a month!
Does anyone think they'll be making the trip? I can't make it that weekend, but hope we can have a rebel presence on hand Smile

Auckland Armageddon is just 4 months away, on the 19th-22nd October. As we all know, this is the biggest troop of the year for us!
It's a 4-day event, and will run from Friday to Monday, with setup on Thursday 18th, and pack-down on Monday 22nd.
As a School Teacher, it's not going to be possible for me to be there on Thursday for setup nor the Friday of the event, being school days.
If anyone will be able to help out with those days in particular, that would be greatly appreciated Smile

We may reuse the Tatooine set, or we may have something a bit different, either way we may have a similar setup to last year, with a feature set, and various other promotional materials around the edges, including flyers and handouts. If anyone has any suggestions for what they'd like at the booth this year, I'd love to hear!

It would also be lovely to arrange a group photo together one of the days.
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be able to be there over the 4 days, and maybe to help with setup too. Depends on what my work situation is at the time but should be able to make it there.
montee916 ()

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ember wrote:
We may reuse the Tatooine set, or we may have something a bit different, either way we may have a similar setup to last year, with a feature set...

Yeah, unfortunately it's gonna need to be a new set build, the Tatooine one hasn't done too well. Rest assured though, things are in the pipeline. Mr. Green
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to wear Mara in ChCh and I'll have some patches on hand Smile I can bring down some paraphernalia if it can be sent to me or I can pick it up, the Endor set will be in place so I'm not sure if there will be space to put much. I will ask though.

I'm going to be a bit burnt out for Auckland after Celebration and DragonCon but I should have a couple of newly registered RL costumes by then anyway (I want to Do All The Things which include RL photos and parade and need to think about the heat over there...). So nothing specifically new but still newish Smile

Will definitely not be up to set wrangling (can count me out of that permanently) however I can be a gopher and liason between people with properly functioning arms Wink
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never felt more like making an ISO outfit than I did at Ch'Armageddon Wink Been stalking to see if there are plans for a light side version..

Anyway, lots of oohs and ahhs over the pretty patches. All mine are accounted for (I bought them in anticipation of overseas travel) except one. Maybe Wink

Might get a generic Jedi finished for Auckland. I'll have a few weeks to work on projects from my stash. I cannot say enough how inspired some of the SWTOR in game outfits are. Consular robes are a bt meh, but Knight and trooper are really nifty.
But pretty much anything that doesn't combine huge headpiece and huge robes Wink
Farra Sti (Andrea Stout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there all 4 days hopefully. Going to wear Jedi on one of the days now that my lovely new belt has arrived.
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Saturday evening of the Auckland Armageddon weekend, there will be a joint Star Wars fan club dinner, in conjunction with SWNZ. the 501st Legion and Naboo Outpost (Rebel Legion). It will be a BBQ/pot-luck dinner (hopefully we'll get reasonable weather, but we'll manage even if it turns bad), starting from about 6:30pm.
Please RSVP to MattG (via PM) prior to this coming Friday, as we need to know numbers in advance, and he'll let you know full details.
Same rules as per the Outpost 42 post and SWNZ post for us in the RL in those previous posts. Members only and those helping the stand. If you are in doubt please also contact MattG

On an similar topic I'd love to get an informal group photo of all RL members in NZ this weekend. Just as a helpful oh hey yes i saw you and can recognise you know! I know O42 is trying to organise a more formal photos so we can work around that- either after on the same day or on a different day.
So early Sat or Sunday to make best of of smaller crowds.

Just as a more social meet and greet any new members we haven't seen for a while and to get used to the idea of group photos again. Nest year there will be more time to plan ahead as I know there are new costumes on the way and they should be approved or approvable come next year.
PitYak Studios ()

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be at Wellington 2013, as I won a double pass on Saturday!

https://www.facebook.com/hanleysoloway
neimhaille ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Naboo Outpost -> Naboo Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: