Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=37ac6fb560d3082631a9769d96d79c51Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

U-Wing Pilot?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if one of the ways that the base for the U-wing pilot helmet might be able to be identified is by the screw holes? While both the SPH-3 and U-wing helmets have a single screw hole toward the back the SPH-3 screw hole seems to be farther back than the empty screw hole on the U-wing helmet-- on the SPH-3 it seems like the mohawk would cover it up. Unless the hole in the U-wing helmet was drilled into it by a prop-maker but I don't know why they'd leave it open.

Also, the SPH-3 looks to have four or five screw holes (and screws) while the U-wing helmet only has one. Granted these could have been filled in but then why wouldn't they have filled in the one in the back? It sure would be helpful to know if the U-wing pilot helmets were vacuumformed pulls or if they were all modified real world helmets...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I purchased an HGU-39 helmet which I believe has the same basic shape of the SPH-3/SPH-4 helmets but has the benefit of being a lot cheaper. While I wait to get the various twin visor cover parts (but probably not the visor itself) I thought I'd have a play with Photoshop. The results are not perfect but they do highlight the screw holes Alex has mentioned.

Looking at the side of the helmet there seems to be a physical ridge towards the back/sides of the helmet in line with the bottom of the so called rams horn (you can also see a kink in the mohawk). Maybe this raised surface covers the holes in a real helmet...?

Tambo (Glenn Tamboia)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Pilots. New guy here but a 501st old timer. I'm working on this build and would be glad to help others.

I have served in Army Aviation since 1990 and currently I'm a instructor at Ft.Campbell. I collect military aviation equipment and would be happy to share any of my knowledge. I can tell you that when it comes to helmets we do not have a one type fits all setup, We still use old Style SPH-4B and the New HGU-56 helmets and we modify them to meet our needs. The Older SPH-3 and SPH-4 helmets from the 70's and 80's that the U-Wing is made from was also modified by units so if you get one it might be different from others.

I will post pictures soon.
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glenn.

Thanks for joining the thread. I've been thinking of defecting to the RL for a little while and hopefully this costume will be the key.

Do you mind if I pick your brains about the visor cover used on these helmets? I was wondering if they are a 'one-size-fits-all' or if the visors/covers 'grow' to fit the larger helmets? This info will help when getting parts.

Talking about that I'm also wondering if you have any recommendations for sourcing parts? I've seen flighthelmet.com have some but hoping there may be others.

Many thanks
Andy
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Glenn! Always good to have someone around that knows the kit Smile
(and thank you for your service!)

Andy, good stuff with the photo comparisons. I agree, that helmet could be the best basis for a build (or mold).

As I said in other threads, after Celebration, I'll be playing around with Blue Squadron suits... we might have a spot-on fabric to use. I'll end up modifying my TFA X-wing suit pattern most likely. I am set on doing U-wing myself, but I'm sure I'll be doing a few for Blue X-wing pilots in our squadron initially Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All. After doing some online picture research I found an unofficial "behind the scenes" photo shared by one of the Rogue One extras, Samuel Victor. I contacted him via Twitter to ask him some questions about the costume (he played "Blue Two") and he was able to share a few more photos that he took whilst on the production. I'm sharing them here and elsewhere with his kind permission.

Please look him up and give him a follow/thanks on twitter (http://twitter.com/samuelvictor) and imdb (http://imdb.me/samuelvictor).

** Please note I added the Copyright watermark and have mirrored the 2 fully kitted up photos for ease of viewing. **

ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...you are my Hero Smile Can't not became enough reference pictures.
Many thanks for sharing!
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some awesome pictures. Any chance he has a picture of the back so we can see what the back of the vest looks like?

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap Andy!! Thanks for those pics!
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
TheSnapWexley ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang those pics are amazing! I am saving them incase we get a order form the mouse to remove them... lol
Ronan (Jon)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the only shot I could get of the helmet. The mohawk has another ridge in the middle

ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samuel had a facebook side and you can see a few more pictures of his costume. The U-Wing helmet had a 3 part mohawk.
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ywingfighter wrote:
Samuel had a facebook side and you can see a few more pictures of his costume. The U-Wing helmet had a 3 part mohawk.

Do you have a link please? Thanks.
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/samuelvictorofficial/photos?lst=100010921238418%3A1766841612%3A1490338439&source_ref=pb_friends_tl

Smile
R5SB (Andy Hill)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Frank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Rogue One U-Wing / X-Wing All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: