Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f494daf12952e261f7b9977f00152c74Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Lebo's Kenobi ROTS WIP. What do you think?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lebo1138 (Jason Leibowitz)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Lebo's Kenobi ROTS WIP. What do you think? Reply with quote

So -- as I am working on my Clone Wars General Kenobi - I decided to upgrade my generic Jedi to Obi Wan Kenobi ROTS. Here are some pix. What are your thoughts?

So I was unable to find boots. So I added spats to my cheap boots. I think I need to hot glue down the top of foot edges. Boots still need ankle straps. I currently have 2 grapple pouches. I am not sure which would work best. #1 or # 2. What do you think?

Food capsules in order. And Woodman small and tall ribbed pouches - amazing!!!!

New Tunic by Galaxy issued is spot on. The outer tunic, tabs and obi are made of crinkle cotton fabric which has been treated and pre shrunk. The tunic is satin lined and double layered to give it a quality look and feel. It has the accurate shoulder tucks and all the appropriate dimensions and fasteners to make it as close to the original. The inner tunic (undershirt) is made of a soft and comfortable jersey cotton and features the pleated neck collar as well as extra long sleeves to give the movie-accurate "bunched up" look and also have the appropriate bar and hook fasteners as the original.

The above pic was taken BEFORE I added my boot spats. I have a Romans saber AND a Saber Forge Redeemer.

I need belt clips for my pouches. Also need the ankle straps - and I think I am close to being done. Unless YOU break my heart and tell me otherwise. Heh. The beard and hair are my own design.
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason.

Looks like you have some great elements going on there. I prefer number 2 but either would suffice for submission. The two things that concern me however, is the fabric - ( it may be really great, I just can't tell from the picture, but Obi Wan's is very iconic in texture. It has that " lined" appearance and its absence would be the number one reason for most OWK denials )

Be sure to send a close up of the grain when submitting to showcase the texture.

The second thing is the colour of the boots. ROTS boots are a reddish brown ( see Ewan's toe in your picture ) yours do look quite chocolate but it may just be the lighting. Of course, we have tons of ref pictures in the Obi Wan section to compare with. If they look like they match up - good to go Thumbs up

" Another happy landing "
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay - as always I appreciate and value your opinions.

Here is a close up pic of a tabard - a sleeve and the obi. the obi even has the grain going diagonal.

Obi - with diagonal grain -

Tabbard -

Sleeve -

Let me know if you think it is enough. If it isn't- then I guess generic Jedi it is - - again. As somebody who fashions himself as aJedi - I need to me more patient with my purchase. I probably should have checked with the Jedi council prior to purchase.

As far as the boots go - you are correct. They are very chocolate. I can not find reddish boots that are compliant and affordable - - in my size. I am open to suggestions.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the boot spats Wink nice work

-===-

re: texture:

are we not accepting "crinkle cotton" for face characters anymore?

I thought this was allowed (?)

judges: please advise. thx.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your guidance on the spats. Now to get them to reddish/brown. Thoughts?

Cobalt-60 wrote:
I like the boot spats Wink nice work

-===-

re: texture:

are we not accepting "crinkle cotton" for face characters anymore?

I thought this was allowed (?)

judges: please advise. thx.

Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing that comes to mind , is pandatrooper's tutorial for painting funtasma vinyl boots:
he talks about using "Liquitex" flexible-acrylic paint , to weather the boots.

IIRC, jedi "Lumpy" used a flexible paint to re-color his boots for anakin.
he painted the entire boot to chocolate-brown, and was approved.
(maybe send Lumpy a PM , and ask him what kind of paint he used).

pandatrooper's tutorial is here:
http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32789&highlight=
he recommends "artist quality Liquitex acrylics".

I know you can also get products intended for re-coloring vinyl auto-upholstery.
(these are "flexible" , and won't crack where the vinyl bends, when you sit on the seat)

that's really the only thing that comes to mind Wink paint them
(but make sure you use the correct product; seek advice from Lumpy and pandatrooper).

cheers.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

As always, Cobalt-60 has excellent advice.

Colouring is certainly possible with the right product and should prove successful. Good Obi Wan boots have always been like the holy grail unless you want to sell a kidney.

The good news is that the texture on the fabric looks great and would certainly be acceptable for an OWK submission. If you can get hold of the products that are mentioned above ( pm one of the members that have used this technique,) I think you will be good to go.

Good luck Jason, you have almost completed the journey. Last step now.

Let us know if there is anything we can assist you with. Very Happy

" Another happy landing "
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So bad news - - and bad news sprinkled with optimism.

So - I watched all the video tutorials. Tried dyes. Paints and polishes. Consulted with a professional shoe dying company. And - it's just not possible (or it's really hard) to get darker colors - lighter. I tried a dye on tan leather - and they cam out perfect. Tried on the chocolate test boots - and made them worse. The video tutorials go over distressing boots. Not altering their whole color. And that tannish - reddish color is hard to hit.

So - now for the bad news sprinkled with optimism. I did see a pair of size 8's Museum Replica on E-bay. I am a 9 1/2 -but hear the MR boots run big. So I got them. Should arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. So - why is this bad news? Way more money than I dreamed of spending. Oh well. nobody said screen accuracy was cheap. Boots should be my final step for ROTS Kenobi AND Animated General Kenobi.

Almost there gang - - almost there.
lucia_sky ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your costume!! Great job!
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: