Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5702ea2c737ffaa1cd4a6829ea850b35Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
However it's possible that having a female body (literally) may actually help keep bits in the right place... ?

No, it doesn't. Wink Would be nice though.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just pulling my tabards really tightly then. Oops. Sorry Lora.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been super busy working on other costumes, but (a) a friend wanted to borrow my Jedi for Halloween, AND my lightsaber is literally on the FedEx truck headed towards my office as I type this, so last night it seemed prudent to get moving with this!

The only thing I've done from the initial photos is add the angled fold to the tabards and sew them down. I also decided to attach them together at the bend (just tacked together for an inch, so they can still separate below the belt) for consistency of placement. I put a small (1" x 2") strip of Velcro on top of each shoulder and a matching piece under the tabard in the same location, so the part going over the top FINALLY stays put. I'm hoping the Obi will keep the bottom in place, if not I'll be adding a couple little pieces under there as well.

I've included a shot with the robe, just because. I think the hood is not quite full enough, but I wasn't planning to use it anyway. (It'll be great for my friend at Halloween, however) As I've said, I plan to make my own out of better material. For the coolest robe (temperature-wise, since SoCal is HOT), should I go with the thinnest wool I can find, or is there a better choice?

I'm still using the cruddy pleather belt the CosplaySky included in these photos, as I haven't had time to make my own belt yet. That's rapidly getting to the top of the list, however, particularly since the saber is finally en route. That and pouches is all I think I need to submit, so it's time to get my leatherworking tools out of the garage! (I forgot to attach the food capsules to the belt for these photos.) My friend will have to make do, of course.

(Sorry the back is not straight, I didn't notice I had not attached it correctly before I was done taking shots, since I was working without assistance)

(again: this is NOT a robe I would ever dream of submitting with, it's utterly crap quality and not long enough, this pic is just for reference of what NOT to do, LOL)

So... any changes needed, that anyone can see here, other than those I've mentioned in this post, or am I really as close as I think I am? Very Happy

Last edited by kman () on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll need to wear the belt a little higher in the front. the spot where it hits in the back is fine.. but in the front it needs to cover the waist-seam on the tunic. it should sit about 3 inches higher in front, enough to cover that waist seam with the top edge of the obi/sash.

otherwise it looks pretty good. you've got more than enough length in the tunic body; the proportions are good; etc.

the judges might take issue with the length of the robe.. technically its supposed to hang about 2-inches off the floor. yours looks a little short. (like maybe about 4-6 inches off the floor?) it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture.

(if you're making a new one, then yes: thin wool is a good choice; I used a thin wool "suiting" fabric, with a herringbone pattern.. the kind of stuff wool business suits are made from). Razz
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your costume looks very fine Smile

if you use press button on the shoulders (female to the tunic / male to the tabards) you can miss the tabards and tunic. and you will have 4 different costumes Smile

and .. you wont see the press button at the outside, you can fix it easier than velcro.

yours Leroni
KJO DMerchOr 2015/2016
Wretched Hive DMerchO 2014/2015
Twilek - Saga

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
you'll need to wear the belt a little higher in the front. the spot where it hits in the back is fine.. but in the front it needs to cover the waist-seam on the tunic. it should sit about 3 inches higher in front, enough to cover that waist seam with the top edge of the obi/sash.

otherwise it looks pretty good. you've got more than enough length in the tunic body; the proportions are good; etc.

the judges might take issue with the length of the robe.. technically its supposed to hang about 2-inches off the floor. yours looks a little short. (like maybe about 4-6 inches off the floor?) it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture.

(if you're making a new one, then yes: thin wool is a good choice; I used a thin wool "suiting" fabric, with a herringbone pattern.. the kind of stuff wool business suits are made from). Razz

I'm not sure what you're referring to... the tunic has no waist seam. It's continuous sheet of fabric from shoulders to the bottom edge. (see brown tunic pictured in the OP, laying on the floor... it's wrinkly, but no seams, and this cream tunic is the same) The belt is too skinny, of course, but that's the pleather POS that I have no intention of using outside of these test fittings, once I make my proper leather one. Smile I think it's also only about 2" thick, while mine will be 3" or maybe a smidge more. Perhaps you're seeing that wrinkle in the fabric, a couple inches above the Obi's top edge, and thinking it's a seam? The belt buckle is centered over my belly button, which is how it should be, I believe.

And yes, I agree the robe is junk, as I expected it would be with a costume this cheap. (the hood is way too small as well) I'll be making my own, and it'll be nearly floor length as the CRL calls for. I'm hoping to submit photos without it, as I'll have the other 3 of 4 things called for in the CRL, because sewing my own from scratch is going to take a little longer than I'd like to wait.

Otherwise, excellent news! I'll post some pics of the "angled" tabard and velcro tabs when I think about it, and certainly some pics of the belt making process, as I move forward. And perhaps some lightsaber pr0n if the FedEx guy every shows up, LOL!

Leroni - I already sewed the Velcro underneath the tabard, and I'll be putting matching Velcro in the other tabard at some point as well, so I'll still be able to mix and match parts. Smile I carefully hand-stitched it in without penetrating the top layer (wow was that a pain) so it's definitely not visible at all.

Thanks, you two! I look forward to starting my belt and pouches so I can finally submit photos and become a formal member!
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My precious...

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice saber. Smile

Before you send in your application, just make sure you have all the required items and to iron your costume so it looks as good as it can. And of course, when dressing make sure everything sits where it's supposed to go. Obi and belt could go a little higher on you and be raised to the waist (just under ribcage).

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora Skywalker wrote:
Nice saber. Smile

Before you send in your application, just make sure you have all the required items and to iron your costume so it looks as good as it can. And of course, when dressing make sure everything sits where it's supposed to go. Obi and belt could go a little higher on you and be raised to the waist (just under ribcage).

Oh, so the belt should be worn above the belly button, not centered over it?

Will do, on the rest, thanks!

I'm hoping to get to Tandy today to buy some leather and get started on the real belt so I can finish this off. The finish line is so close!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I guess that's just a crease in the cloth that I'm seeing. it looked like a seam at first glance. my bad
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
sorry I guess that's just a crease in the cloth that I'm seeing. it looked like a seam at first glance. my bad

No worries, it'll all be ironed before I submit. Smile
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my local leather shop finally got more stock in, and I have a 2.5" strip of leather ready to make into a belt. I also have a 1" strip, which I had hoped to turn into the outer belt, but now that I lay them out, I'm thinking I may need to cut it down to .75" (I had cut the 1" belt before finding out they were out of leather needed to cut the 2.5", so there was a day or two in between)

Can I get away with the thicker inner belt? I was thinking it would be more substantial at 1" than the thinner ones I've seen, but now that I look at them laid on top of each other, it looks like it may be too big, and there's a reason why most people just go with the 3/4" outer belts. :/

Thoughts?

I can just trim 1/4" off the 1" belt with my strap cutter, but if I don't need to, all the better.
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's typically about 1/3 of the entire width (or smaller).

the movie belts were: 2.25 inches, with .75 inch outer belt (anakin);
and 2.25 inches, with 0.5 inch outer belt (obi-wan).

-->(therefore) , I think 3/4 inch outer belt, over your 2.5 inch inner belt, will look more "proportional".

I think you're right, the 1-inch belt looks a little too wide.

what size is your buckle?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s: mace windu was the exception: he had a 1-inch inner belt.

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Mace-Windu-star-wars-characters-3339991-1425-1227.jpg

end-of-day, it depends on your preference.

I think the 1-inch belt would still be accepted by the judges. (as per, mace windu). you could use this pic as a reference Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
it's typically about 1/3 of the entire width (or smaller).

the movie belts were: 2.25 inches, with .75 inch outer belt (anakin);
and 2.25 inches, with 0.5 inch outer belt (obi-wan).

-->(therefore) , I think 3/4 inch outer belt, over your 2.5 inch inner belt, will look more "proportional".

I think you're right, the 1-inch belt looks a little too wide.

what size is your buckle?

I haven't bought a 1" buckle yet, as they're harder to find (I didn't want to buy the first thing I saw). I actually have a 3/4" "buckle" I could use (scavenge the crappy pleather belt's buckle), but since I was thinking 1" inner belt, I had planned to replace it.

I'm 6'3", so I was thinking that I could scale the belt up a bit. (A whopping 1/4", if the screen belts were 2.25")

But I agree, the 1" looks big. Even if they were using .75" belts on 2.25, proportionally, that doesn't bring me to 1". Maybe if I had gone with a 3" belt, but that seemed a bit much, plus, that's a good chunk more leather, out of an already big expensive chunk of leather.

Overall, I think I need to go down to .75". Technically maybe I could split the difference, but I feel like I might be limiting myself with future accessories if I go with a non-standard size.

Thanks for the Mace Windu tip! But I still agree it'll look more proportional if it's slimmer. Sadly. I was hoping it was just me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: