Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3fcc15f77692be177947466301ea6d3fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of keeping things in place, I have 2 press-studs (snaps) on each tabbard, matching with the shoulder seams of the OT. Stops them moving. I chose snaps because I wanted the shoulder fabric to remain flexible, rather than stiff as it would be with Velcro.

I also have snaps and hook and eye fastenings to keep the OT from moving and sagging where the left side goes over the right.
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

re- material - I want to see if another costume judge thinks it's okay.

re- length of front tabards - an inch or two longer in the front would help, IMO.

re- velcro showing on obi - I kinda figured, just my OCD. Wink
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caileen Tauren wrote:
re- material - I want to see if another costume judge thinks it's okay.

re- length of front tabards - an inch or two longer in the front would help, IMO.

re- velcro showing on obi - I kinda figured, just my OCD. Wink

Material: Sounds good. I'll also see if I can take some closeup pics of the material, showing the weave. I'm 95% sure there's no problem with the medium brown fabric, which is a sort of linen, or the white fabric, which is a pretty nice cottony fabric. Even the pants, which are polyester (pretty sure), are a fairly open weave that looks cottony. The IT is the only thing that's pure polyester that may be an issue, and I'm hoping that's fine especially since you really only see the edging of the collar anyway.

Tabard length: Perfect, and agreed. Smile

OCD: Nit-pick away! I live for nit-picking. LOL (really!)
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
In terms of keeping things in place, I have 2 press-studs (snaps) on each tabbard, matching with the shoulder seams of the OT. Stops them moving. I chose snaps because I wanted the shoulder fabric to remain flexible, rather than stiff as it would be with Velcro.

I also have snaps and hook and eye fastenings to keep the OT from moving and sagging where the left side goes over the right.

A couple of small pieces of soft velcro shouldn't make it stiff. Doesn't have to be a large patch just to help hold it in place. I expect I'll have little pieces of Velcro in several places to keep everything just so. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I just have a love-hate relationship with velcro when sewing it on. It's so stiff. I've had a few costuming injuries due to velcro sewing.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
Yes, I just have a love-hate relationship with velcro when sewing it on. It's so stiff. I've had a few costuming injuries due to velcro sewing.

Ugh. Reminds me of sewing patches. I broke TEN needles hand sewing on 3 patches the other day!
Cobalt-60 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration Reply with quote

kman wrote:

THIS SEEMS OK-ISH: a. Tabard construction should be such that the front tabards do not overlap. This is often accomplished by constructing the tabards in a “Y” formation where any seam joining the tabard below the obi to the tabard above the obi is covered by the obi.

Caileen Tauren wrote:

The "pinch seams" for the tabards will definitely help.

re: "Y formation"

this is what Caileen means by 'pinch seams'

(and also , what the standards mean by "Y-formation")

basically, you install an 'angle' like a hockey stick , and hide it under the obi.

this is a simple modification.

it will go a LONG way , to improving the overall 'look' of your Jedi. Wink

cheers!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration Reply with quote

Cobalt-60 wrote:
kman wrote:

THIS SEEMS OK-ISH: a. Tabard construction should be such that the front tabards do not overlap. This is often accomplished by constructing the tabards in a “Y” formation where any seam joining the tabard below the obi to the tabard above the obi is covered by the obi.

Caileen Tauren wrote:

The "pinch seams" for the tabards will definitely help.

re: "Y formation"

this is what Caileen means by 'pinch seams'

(and also , what the standards mean by "Y-formation")

basically, you install an 'angle' like a hockey stick , and hide it under the obi.

this is a simple modification.

it will go a LONG way , to improving the overall 'look' of your Jedi. Wink

cheers!

YES, exactly! Thanks! That's exactly what I hoped it was. Agreed, super simple to accomplish, just one straight seam to put a bend in the two tabards so they hang straight down after they pass under the obi, and yes, the seam hidden under the obi. This kind of sewing I have no problem with. It's the "real" sewing that scares me! LOL

Looks like the cloth bits are going to be pretty straightforward. I need to get to work on a belt, and decide what to do about a robe! (The CosplaySky robes fit me correctly, but are of such low quality that I feel I need to remake them with better fabric. So at least the CS robes can serve as a general pattern.)

One question just occurred about the "Y", however: The two pieces aren't necessarily supposed to actually join into one after the bend, though, are they? (Perhaps they can, but I like the look of two separate ones better) I'm sort of thinking it's more like )( than Y. (only more of a discrete bend at the seam than two curves... couldn't find the perfect characters to show)
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have answered my own question about the tabard strips. Looking at the pinned tutorial (http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75075), they recommend the "pinch fold" I described (poorly) in my OP:

This fold goes right where the tabard strips pass under the obi, right?

But in that same tutorial, it recommends then tacking them together where they meet in the middle, so you end up with two tabard strips hanging directly together side by side, touching down one edge (even if they're not sewn down the whole edge):

If you don't tack the tabard strips together, couldn't they be more separated by a few inches, passing on either side of the belt buckle area, for instance? Or do they NEED to come together into one? See, for instance, this screen cap photo from the ANH Ben Kenobi research thread, where they are clearly separate:

The CRL is not very clear in this regard.

Oh, and last question (for now!), would the same sort of pinch seam be done in the back as well, so they strips also angle across the back but hang down straight once they go under the obi in back?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to pick up a pair of Museum Replicas Anakin boots from eBay, at a pretty decent price. Not 100% ideal, but they're leather (outside, at least), and should certainly fit the bill!

I'm going to have a busy week and weekend, but hopefully I can start making some small alterations this weekend, and then perhaps start on the Jedi belt?

I ordered some Jedi food capsules last night, as well. They're not the ultimate Staedtler Pen Cap-based ones, but it doesn't look like the difference is visible while they're clipped to the belt. And given everything else, I didn't feel like spending triple on some pen caps.

I'd better start thinking about ordering that light saber soon, because I think this is going to start coming together pretty quickly, once I actually get started on the belt!

Now, of the "Minimum Required Extras", you need 3 of the 4. The options are (1) Inner Tunic (got it), (2) Belt Pouches (Definitely plan to make, along with the belt), (3) Food Capsules (ordered) and (4) Robe (TBD). Does this mean that if I have the first three, I don't technically need the robe? Obviously I want a robe, but it seems like maybe I could do my submission without it, and take my time making it once I'm already approved. Is that correct?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you are correct in your assumption.

To be honest, the robe was the part of the costume I really wanted. It does make you feel the part. Smile

I paid extra for mine, so that it was wool, and probably over-sized, but I think it looks soooo much better.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
I believe you are correct in your assumption.

To be honest, the robe was the part of the costume I really wanted. It does make you feel the part. Smile

I paid extra for mine, so that it was wool, and probably over-sized, but I think it looks soooo much better.

It's the lightsaber that makes the part, for me. Wink

But yes, a robe comes in a close second! Definitely getting one (or hopefully making one), but it makes the timetable easier if I can take my time with that part, since it'll be a major sewing project (for me, at least) if I decide to take that on. Or a major purchase if I buy it... on par with the saber, which IS 100% necessary.
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most definitely agree.

Of course my love of the saber has grown even more from the original one that I cleared with. I have a new favorite that isn't as heavy and just feels right to hold. Particularly after trooping for any length of time with it.

Incidentally, I was originally planning on making my robe, but after I toted up the price of the fabric and amount of time, I have in and purchased one. Enjoy the while process of putting the costume together.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small seam to keep the tabards together under the obi is just to prevent them from sliding around, but they will probably stay put without unless you go crazy with your moves. Smile

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, once the obi and belt have gone on and it looks good, I haven't suffered from things moving too much. But then again, I may have been lucky.

Basically I believe that once it's all been clamped under the belt, it's probably good to go. However it's possible that having a female body (literally) may actually help keep bits in the right place... ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: