Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6b7a5a477957cf58685eb64e7ee25091Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kman ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration Reply with quote

Ok, here begins my official WIP. Very Happy

I'm working on putting together a Generic Jedi costume for the Rebel Legion. I have some sewing skills, but they're not extensive (never were) and they're definitely rusty. So to minimize "real" sewing, I decided to start off with a commercial costume, and customize it as needed. I figure the hardest parts would be done, at that point. CosplaySky had a really really good sale on their Jedi costumes, so I decided to roll the dice and buy TWO different costumes that I could draw from. Total price was about $100, so really not that bad, especially considering how much work it will (hopefully) save me. Obviously I am well aware that not all of the supplied stuff will be useable (especially the robe), but I'm hoping I can at least tear it apart and use it as a starting point for a much better one, and the hardest sizing work will already be done since it was made in a custom size, which actually seems to fit me pretty well, I think. The CS pleather belt is an absolutely pathetic joke, of course, by my leatherworking skills are more than up to making a simple belt with studs, plus any pouches, etc., and I'll buy whatever else is needed. Once I get good brown leather boots that fit me correctly, I'll just make the belt to match. (I also already have the brown Funtasma Captain's Boots, in a pinch)

Anyway, here are some really bad photos of the CS costuming I received. Apologies for the quality... this is literally straight out of the bag, and I was alone with no helper, so they're shot in the bathroom mirror. Obviously it's not on me perfectly, this being my first time suiting up, and no one to assist, and awkwardly trying to shoot a selfie over my back! Also excuse the undershirt... if needed, I'll wear something more appropriate as a base layer.

Costume #1 from and back:

Costume #2 from and back:

I'd like to do 3 layers of colors, if possible, mixing and matching earth tones from the two costume setups, and use the dark brown, the medium brown, AND the off-white fabrics.

1) Dark brown inner tunic (the only option, actually, since both costumes came with the same dark brown IT). The fabric is kinda of icky polyester, but it will probably do, and if not, I can just disassemble it and use it as a pattern for better fabric.

2) Off-White Outer Tunic. Darker OT pictured, since the two are basically the same. This is actually a linen-ish fabric, and I could use it if I decide to go with this color.

3) Medium Brown Tabard and Obi. I'm not 100% clear... does the Tabard and Obi need to be the same color? The Tabards are the typical straight rectangular lengths. I might adjust them to add the seam under the Obi so they bend around the body more naturally, as in this tutorial: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=75075 They can be used as-is, but will likely sit easier (and more consistently) with this very minor tweak of adding the two angled "pinch seams" (or whatever the correct term is for that!) on each. The Obi seems to be correctly sized for me, although I might put different Velcro on for the attachment since the little strips they provided are a little hard to line up. Otherwise useable, I think.

4) Dark Brown pants (same as IT, and also the only option, since both costumes came with the same dark brown fabric). Simple, somewhat polyester-y, but works, I think. Has pockets (which you can't see under the OT), which are kinda small and shallow, but still handy and useable.

Boots, belt, robe will all be brown, but I'm not addressing those just yet. I may go with the MR Obi boots, if those are allowed, and I can get them in my size.

I'll be ordering a saber from Ultimate Sabers shortly. Blue blade. Smile

------------ COMPARISON TO CRLs AND COMMENTARY --------------

I checked over the CRLS (http://newsite.rebellegion.com/jedi-costume-standards-generic/), line by line, and I don't see anything problematic:

Jedi Costume Standards (Generic):

THIS SEEMS OK: 1. Outer tunic (OT): a. Sleeved. Sleeves should hang at least to the knuckles when the arms are held down at the side.

n/a b. No Kimonos’s, karate/judo gi or gi like construction allowed.
n/a c. OTs may be sleeveless as long as an Inner Tunic (IT) is worn and is long sleeved. No bare-armed Generic Jedi.
n/a d. Sleeveless outer tunics may be fastened at the front and have an attached hood (recommended), though a hood is not compulsory. No vests, or sleeveless V-neck type sweaters may be worn as a sleeveless OT. A sleeveless OT should be surcoat or standard OT style in length. (Ki Adi Mundi and Sarrissa Jeng are examples of surcoat style OT’s.)
n/a e. Tabards should not be worn with Ki Adi Mundi style OT or surcoat. Tabards are required with the standard OT style.

THIS SEEMS OK: f. OT’s should have a collar approximately 1 inch to 2 inches wide.

OK AS-IS? g. OTs overall length may be variable and may extend to the floor. OTs are generally made in a fashion where there is a full skirt (attached to the main body of the OT) where the seam is hidden by the obi.

THIS SEEMS OK-ISH: 2. Tabards: Must extend at least to or past the bottom hem of the OT on the front. The back tabards may end under the obi or may extend to (or past) the bottom hem of the OT (or may be the same length as the front tabards). This guideline is obviously for the more traditional length OTs. For OTs that are longer (past the knee or to the floor or where a full length skirt is worn), the tabard length would be more variable.

>> The included Tabards seem ok out of the box, other than needing to be shortened. I like the length I'm showing in the front, which makes them too long in the back, so they just need to be shortened up to match the front length. I believe the width is appropriate to my body/shoulder size.

THIS SEEMS OK-ISH: a. Tabard construction should be such that the front tabards do not overlap. This is often accomplished by constructing the tabards in a “Y” formation where any seam joining the tabard below the obi to the tabard above the obi is covered by the obi. Tabards may cross in the back. Tabards may be sewn together in the back.

n/a b. Scarf-style tabards, having an around-the-neck design, are permitted.
n/a c. A single front tabard, centrally located (covering the crotch area) is permitted.
n/a d. The end of the front tabard(s) may have a variable design (square, rounded, triangular, octagonal, etc.)
n/a e. Tabards may have borders and/or varying decorative symbols or other decorations (such as Aurebesh, etc.). The decorations/designs should not obviously be from an Earth-bound period or culture (Renaissance, Celtic, Asian, tribal, etc.)
n/a f. Leather or pleather tabards are permitted.

OK AS-IS? g. Tabard width should generally be from the seam at the collar of the OT to the edge of the shoulder and be a similar width as the obi. A general width to use would be 5 inches to 6 inches wide (depending on one’s height and build). Common sense should be used in selecting Tabard width, and the width should be proportional to the costumer’s body.

n/a h. Kataginu are not permitted.

OK AS-IS? 3. Obi (Sash): The obi wraps around the waist, and should be approximately three times the width of the belt and/or of a similar width as the tabards.

OK AS-IS? a. Obi closures (Velcro, snaps, etc.) should not be visible.

n/a b. Leather or pleather Obi are permitted.
n/a c. Obi may have borders.

BELT TBD LATER:
4. Jedi Belt: Black or Brown Utility Belt (all belts should be proportional to wearer):
* Style A: Similar to Prequel Jedi belts: Wide leather main (inner, against the Obi) belt with a thinner secondary belt (outer) on top of the main belt, and a movie-style or similar buckle on the secondary belt.
a. Thinner secondary belt cannot be loose or “sag”.
b. Button studs should be used to help anchor the outer/thinner belt to the inner/wider belt. Generally, 8, eight button studs (screw posts or Chicago Screws, preferred) are used. Sam Browne button studs are permitted. The metal of the studs should match the metal of the buckle.
* Style B: Similar to Original Trilogy (Luke and Old Ben) belts: Singular wide leather belt with a rectangular, octagonal or oval unadorned buckle.
a. Belts are generally two inches to two and a half inches wide, but the width should be in proportion to the wearer. Very tall or large costumers may need a wider belt. Very short people may need a narrower belt.
b. Belt closures (Velcro, snaps, etc.) should not be visible.
c. No Earth-bound buckles or buckles that obviously belong to an Earth-bound period, culture or to other sci-fi/fantasy genres.
d. Belt and boots should match (be of a complimentary color), i.e., black and black or brown and brown. No black/brown combinations.

LIGHTSABER TBD LATER:
5. Lightsaber: (No toy sabers, no Ultimate FX short saber). The lightsaber may be a static prop (hilt-only). Attached blade(s), LED lights, and sound effects, are allowed but not required.
a. Metal hilt lightsabers are preferred, though custom lightsabers constructed of other materials are permitted.
b. Blade colors accepted are: blue, green, yellow, orange, white and violet. No red, pink or black blades.
n/a c. Double-blade sabers are allowed.

LIGHTSABER TBD LATER:
6. Lightsaber Clip: Covertec or similar style lightsaber clip OR a hook/clip for lightsaber on belt.
n/a a. For the “hook/clip” type of lightsaber attachment, the lightsaber (itself) will likely have a D-ring (similar to the connection system for the armored Darth Vader and Old Ben lightsabers).

7. Pants or skirt:
OK AS-IS? a. Pants should largely be non-descript without decoration. Traditional pants pockets are permitted, but must not be visible (e.g., hidden under the skirt of the OT).

n/a b. No Cargo pants.
n/a c. No hakamas.
n/a d. Skirts (those separate from the OT) should be long enough so that no bare skin is visible, and may be floor length.
n/a e. No Corellian Blood Stripes (Han Solo Pants).

BOOTS TBD LATER:
8. Boots: Brown or Black Boots – Leather or leather-like (no rubber boots).
a. Over-the-calf, but not above the knee.
b. No visible laces or outside zippers. When necessary, inside zippers are permitted.
c. Straps & shin-spats are allowed but not required (though can be used to cover laces and zippers).
d. Boots and belts should match (be of a complimentary color), i.e., black and black or brown and brown. No black/brown combinations.
e. Buckles are permitted, but should complement the boot and not detract from the overall look of the Jedi costume.
f. Low-heeled 1 – 1 1/2 inches maximum. Spike heels are not permitted.

OK 9. No visible t-shirts.

OK AS-IS? 10. Permitted Colors for Outer Tunics, Inner Tunics, Tabards, Obi, Pants and Robes/Cloaks(capes): Earth tone colors, preferably shades of brown, gray, black and white. Other earth tones are allowed (greens, blues, yellows, violets and reds (where the reds are darker and in the burgundy family), but should be muted. No bright or loud (sharp) colors are allowed (examples would include: red, pink, neon green, etc.). Combinations of red and black are not allowed, as they are considered Sith colors. Colors of the Generic Jedi costume may be mixed and matched (except for the belt and boots). Legion Costume Judges are the final authority on color. If in doubt, contact a Legion Costume Judge for an opinion on proposed color combinations before construction.

OK AS-IS? 1. Inner Tunic (IT): May be a full tunic or a false tunic (meaning a collar, neck portion and sleeves may be added to a shirt or t-shirt). Dickies or tunics/shirts with a Mandarin collar are allowed.

n/a a. If the OT is sleeveless, then an IT must be worn and must have long sleeves.
n/a b. Blouses and standard store bought turtlenecks may be used, but will not be considered ITs for the purposes of costume requirements.

BELT POUCHES TBD:
2. Jedi Pouches: Two (or more) utility pouches or resin cast utility boxes. ( Leather or leather-like material or resin cast boxes, as seen in the Star Wars universe. )
a. The paint scheme on resin cast boxes should blend well with the overall costume.
b. Bags are not pouches, and are not permitted to serve as a pouch/box option.

BELT ACCESSORIES TBD:
3. Food pellets (at least one set of four) Food pellets should be painted a metallic color and may be gold, silver, bronze, copper or pewter. Other metallic colors are not permitted.

ROBE TBD:
4. Jedi Robe or Cloak (Cape): Large Jedi robe or cloak (cape) with attached over-sized hood, similar to Prequel movie canon robes/cloaks, in the same color scheme as listed for the main costume (see #10. above).
a. A hooded cape with side splits similar in construction that worn by Anakin in Attack of the Clones, is permitted.
b. The hood should be large enough so that (1) when the hood is up, the sides of the hood drape to extend to or cover the shoulders and (2) when down, the tip of the hood should fall near the small of the back (or lower).
c. The sleeves should be full and flare larger on the hand end. When the hand end of the robe sleeve is closed, the length of the end of the sleeve should be at least half the length of the costumers arm (or longer). The circumference of the robe sleeve opening (at the hand) should be at least as long as the sleeve (from shoulder to the hem).
d. The overall body of the robe or cloak/cape should be full.
e. The length of the robe or cloak/cape should be hemmed no shorter than two inches off the floor.
f. A generic Jedi may not wear a robe/cloak that is unique to a face character. Example: Count Dooku’s cloak with neck chain.

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
n/a a. Accessories may include: eye-wear, face coverings and jewelry. Though not required, applicants are encouraged to provide precedence (of their accessory of choice) within the star wars universe.

n/a b. Arm wraps are permitted provided they are of a style similar to or seen in the Star Wars universe.

------------ ------------ WRAP UP ------------ ------------

Sorry for the super long post. I tend to be overly inclusive and address all points all at once so I don't miss anything! (also helpful for ME to write out my thought processes so I can remember why I made certain decisions 6 months down the road!) Sooo... what's the verdict? Am I on the right path? Or did I just waste my money on the CS stuff?
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone help confirm I'm on the right track before I start cutting anything? Smile
dragonhawkz (Chris Moxey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully someone with more experience will comment, but it looks like you're going in the right direction.

I have to say I like the dark tunic, but that may be because the lighter one is thinner and I think you can see the inner tunic showing through.

Looks lovely though.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And tiny pockets are the way to go. After all, they shouldn't be visible. Very Happy
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
Hopefully someone with more experience will comment, but it looks like you're going in the right direction.

I have to say I like the dark tunic, but that may be because the lighter one is thinner and I think you can see the inner tunic showing through.

Looks lovely though.

Thanks! Good point on the lighter tunic allowing the color to show through. I don't see it in the front but I'll have my wife check to make sure the back is ok, too, before coming to any final decisions.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest waiting for one of the judges to comment before making drastic change, but I'm not sure the pouch on your belt is necessarily good enough, as I think the design is fixed to the narrow belt, rather than over the wife belt. You'll need another anyway.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plastic belt/pouch crap they shipped me is going into the garbage. I'll only use it as a fitting template. I'll make something nice with real leather. No worries there. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool then. Would suggest keeping the silver work though. You never know when it might be useful.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's true. Ok, I may have been exaggerating... but the sentiment was correct. I won't actually throw away the pleather crap they sent. It'll be handy for trying things on quickly, for one thing, and the belt design isn't bad it's just crap material. Smile Still, I look forward to making my own once I have good boots so I know what dyes I'll need. And of course my own pouch, since that little cellphone case they have clipped to the belt (no joke!) is pathetic, even for a cellphone case!
Caileen Tauren (Erin Blank)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kman wrote:
The plastic belt/pouch crap they shipped me is going into the garbage. I'll only use it as a fitting template. I'll make something nice with real leather. No worries there. Smile

WAIT!

Don't throw it away. See if a parent in your Base would like to buy it from you for their Galactic Academy cadet. Plenty of little Jedi wannabes out there, and GA has no costume standards.

Same with other pieces. Just because the material isn't up to RL standards there could be a padawan looking for exactly what you have. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caileen Tauren wrote:

WAIT!

Don't throw it away. See if a parent in your Base would like to buy it from you for their Galactic Academy cadet. Plenty of little Jedi wannabes out there, and GA has no costume standards.

Same with other pieces. Just because the material isn't up to RL standards there could be a padawan looking for exactly what you have. Smile

Quite, my son is going to be adopting my pleather belt for his GA Jedi, and the pouches too. I think he also wants to pinch my Yoda Black Series saber for his Jedi!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration Reply with quote

kman wrote:

I'd like to do 3 layers of colors, if possible, mixing and matching earth tones from the two costume setups, and use the dark brown, the medium brown, AND the off-white fabrics.

3) does the Tabard and Obi need to be the same color?

Your color choices are lovely.
Tabards and Obi do not have to match.

I'd also like a confirmation on the material, since I'm a newer costume judge.

The "pinch seams" for the tabards will definitely help. You might also want to use a snap or a piece of velcro to keep your tabards on your shoulder in the right spots.

I like the length of your OT, too. You might want to allow more length in the front tabards (just shift the length to the front more).

Make sure your velcro doesn't show on your obi back when you're ready to take photos.

Wonderful start!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonhawkz wrote:
Caileen Tauren wrote:

WAIT!

Quite, my son is going to be adopting my pleather belt for his GA Jedi, and the pouches too. I think he also wants to pinch my Yoda Black Series saber for his Jedi!

Good kid.

I use the Yoda Black Series saber for appearances. I like the lights and sound. Wink
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caileen Tauren wrote:
kman wrote:

WAIT!

LOL no worries, people, my expression of disgust lead me to overstate my plans. Wink I won't be tossing anything, I'm WAY too much of a packrat.

If actually someone wants the little pouch, shoot me a PM, and I'll happily give away the second one. I should take a picture of it and post it, though, so you can see how bad it is.
kman ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: YAGJ (Yet Another Generic Jedi) WIP: CS Base Alteration Reply with quote

Caileen Tauren wrote:
kman wrote:

3) does the Tabard and Obi need to be the same color?

Your color choices are lovely.
Tabards and Obi do not have to match.

I'd also like a confirmation on the material, since I'm a newer costume judge.

The "pinch seams" for the tabards will definitely help. You might also want to use a snap or a piece of velcro to keep your tabards on your shoulder in the right spots.

I like the length of your OT, too. You might want to allow more length in the front tabards (just shift the length to the front more).

Make sure your velcro doesn't show on your obi back when you're ready to take photos.

Wonderful start!

Thank you! What confirmation did you want about the material?

Yes, excellent idea about Velcro for the tabards. That's definitely planned. Those things are hard to keep in place!

Sure, I can bring the tabards farther forward. How far would you say looks best, to hang below the OT? Perhaps 4-6"? It's only about 2" below in the pics I snapped, and I agree it could come a little lower.

The visible Velcro is solely a result of my hurriedly donning the costume, alone, for the very first time, to snap some pics. That won't happen during actual events, let alone submission photos. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: