Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ebf027c9e3e52f0567f2904518ec0ef5Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Phase II Wolffe
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CommanderMoonMoon (Jason Luu)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Phase II Wolffe Reply with quote

Hello all from Salt Lake City, Utah.
I'm doing a phase II Wolffe build.
Got my kit from Kevin W. of Imperial surplus. I actually started this build a few months ago, but seeing as my progress is moving a long I figured I'd come up for dual membership.

So here is the progress I've made so far.

Raw kit

Got the helmet sanded down and ready to install the magnets, the helmet uses a "back out" system thus the magnets

Just have to get the visor slot cut out as well and it'll be ready for paint

Holsters:
After cutting out the profile out I cut a few scraps of the ABS that were included to create a lip I could use to attach and line up the to halves.
For glue what I did was take a few scraps of ABS plastic (scraps left over from trimming) and dissolved them in acetone. This creates a kind of ABS sludge that makes gluing the two halves together much easier.

You can kind of see the glue seams, which will need to be sanded down, but beyond that they're ready to be attached to the metal braces that came with the kit.

Progress on the forearms, and bicep pieces.

Got the forearms trimmed to shape, and got it all fitted to me.
The bicep piece is a tad large but I'll solve that problem when I get a little further along.
The trim lines on the inside of the armor pieces are a HUGE help. Just marked them in with a pencil so I could bring the dremel right up to the line which helped.

Leg pieces:

Trimmed out the leg pieces and bonded most of them together using the same ABS sludge method from before, the knees are really tight so I'll do some quick trimming to make those easier to walk in.

Bottoms need to be trimmed to match.

picture of the seams that will smoothed over

Front of the thighs.

Thigh seams.

Got almost all of the pieces trimmed. I just need to size a few pieces up to make up for some pudge factor but shouldn't be too hard. Almost ready for assembly, the on to paint and the attaching everything.

Sorry, I didn't get many pictures of the pieces being trimmed out, but I'll show detailed pictures of the individual pieces as I start assembling them to give you guys a better idea.

Did some quick test fitting I realized today for those building phase II clones if they're a bit on the portly side I'd post pictures of my spacing to help them find a reference all of which I'll add the main post.

After that I glued the attachment tabs to the butt piece, at this juncture it's important to state that any pieces you intend to glue need to be flat, and raised edges that you missed in trimming will cause the pieces being glued to slip or not line up properly.

I probably spent about 5 minutes wondering why some pieces didn't fit together and all it took was a quick re-trim.

Here are some pictures of the tabs being glued in to the butt piece in prep to be attached to the cod piece.

To give a better idea of whats going on:

Again I'm 5'9" 205 lbs
on the diaper to ensure that it slid easily into position and that the ab piece fit into the top per the CRL I adjusted the spacing a bit and I'll back fill it once the holster mounts are in place.
For reference I gave it a 2 1/8" spacing from the cod to butt piece.

(Sorry the picture is upside down it was easier to set it up that way. for now)
[/img]
eqdizzle ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you here, trooper!

Let us know if we can be of any assistance!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So made some progress, mostly just gluing things together.

Working on the ab piece here:

Again, cause I drink too much beer I had to widen the ab pieces.
This was done using a strip of ABS to use a tab to glue the two ends together in a way that would not only fit me, but also would fit into the modified diaper, as well as still allow the chest to attach in a reasonable way.

Here's the inside of the ab plate:

Normally one of those tabs would fold over the other and be glued in but I need about an extra inch so here's the image of the tab glued into place:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're doing a wonderful job showing your extensions. This is a question I have been asked many times because I too enjoy beer and food too often lol Keep it up Wolffe!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoGetterGreg wrote:
You're doing a wonderful job showing your extensions. This is a question I have been asked many times because I too enjoy beer and food too often lol Keep it up Wolffe!

Hahaha a friend of mine has encouraged me to slow down a little on the beers. Hopefully that won't have too profound of an effect on the fit later if I can follow through Razz
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made some more progress today. Got the shoulder tabs glued in.

Now here's a big warning: If you have to resize your your armor to be on the larger side when the tabs are glued in it causes the sides to sit funny when not being held down by velcro. I'm not sure what effect this will have in the long term in terms of wear and tear but imagine I'll be replacing velcro and at an accelerated rate.

Another warning, these detail pieces that go over the attachment straps are PVC plastic, not ABS so I forwent the ABS sludge method in favor of good ol' fashioned Cyanoacrylate glue (Super glue)

Here's the other tab after the glue set. (gap between the detail piece and main armorwill be filled in with bondo and smoothed over)

Chest piece getting ready for the final gluing:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good!
Yes I have had my ups and downs with my armor and my weight. The extensions help during the holiday season loL
eqdizzle ()
Active Legion Member

2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should always be using CA glue to adhere plastic to plastic...but to fill the gaps you should throw away that Bondo stuff and use sludge!!

The Bondo will crack since it isn't as flexible as the plastic it attaches to, and will require replacement much quicker than a good sludge application.

End PSA and Soapbox!! Laughing

GoGetterGreg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to that guy ^^^ he knows a thing or two Razz

I used bondo and ive had to patch a few spots in the year that ive had my kit. Flex wrong or scrape something in the right spot and itll peel right off. I've never worked with sludge, but if you have the means then id definitely recommend that.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eqdizzle wrote:
You should always be using CA glue to adhere plastic to plastic...but to fill the gaps you should throw away that Bondo stuff and use sludge!!

The Bondo will crack since it isn't as flexible as the plastic it attaches to, and will require replacement much quicker than a good sludge application.

End PSA and Soapbox!! Laughing

I've used CA glue for ABS to ABS and it's gone bad a couple of times which is why I'm using sludge for the main armor pieces that aren't PVC. I did actually notice bondo already chipping in a couple of places so I'm going to chip all of it off and just fill that in with the sludge I've been using and just spend a bit more time sanding.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've come across a bit of a snag.
The belt that pops over the diaper barely fits now that I've modified everything for the ol beer gut.

So in order to actually attach anything I have to use more extensions which of course means more spot filler and such.

Does anybody know if the measurements for each of the segments on the belt are exact and would having a bit or a larger segment on either side cause any problems with approval?

I was originally going to hide them using the boxes but I realized they attach at a different place for wolffe than with other clones.

I've found a way to make the segments look right with the extensions but I haven't seen anybody get denied because of it. Of course this is just coming from the 501st, I haven't seen anything too much different here at RL I'm just curious.
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larryluftwaffe wrote:

I've used CA glue for ABS to ABS and it's gone bad a couple of times which is why I'm using sludge for the main armor pieces that aren't PVC. I did actually notice bondo already chipping in a couple of places so I'm going to chip all of it off and just fill that in with the sludge I've been using and just spend a bit more time sanding.

CA shouldn't fail if you're applying it correctly. Be sure you've scratched the two surfaces to increase the adhesion, and that you have a clean surface before applying the CA. I'd recommend scratching first and then hitting with some rubbing alcohol to remove any residues and letting dry for a bit before applying the CA.

And...share some pics to help us understand your belt issue!

RebelSenator ()
Corellian Base XO
Corellian Base XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build photos. Thanks for sharing them.
GoGetterGreg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larryluftwaffe wrote:
So I've come across a bit of a snag.
The belt that pops over the diaper barely fits now that I've modified everything for the ol beer gut.

So in order to actually attach anything I have to use more extensions which of course means more spot filler and such.

Does anybody know if the measurements for each of the segments on the belt are exact and would having a bit or a larger segment on either side cause any problems with approval?

I was originally going to hide them using the boxes but I realized they attach at a different place for wolffe than with other clones.

I've found a way to make the segments look right with the extensions but I haven't seen anybody get denied because of it. Of course this is just coming from the 501st, I haven't seen anything too much different here at RL I'm just curious.

I know exactly what youre talking about because I dealt with the same. That movie clone wont understand because our belts are different Razz

So yes, you'll need to add an extension so the belt is seamless. Other clones wouldn't have to worry about this because their belt boxes cover that seam on the hips. Wolfpack is, I believe, the only regular clones that have the belt boxes on the front instead of sides.
Add the shim to cover the gap, then sludge or bondo to make it seamless.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eqdizzle wrote:
Larryluftwaffe wrote:

CA shouldn't fail if you're applying it correctly. Be sure you've scratched the two surfaces to increase the adhesion, and that you have a clean surface before applying the CA. I'd recommend scratching first and then hitting with some rubbing alcohol to remove any residues and letting dry for a bit before applying the CA.

And...share some pics to help us understand your belt issue!

I think what happened likely was that it was held in place and it slid a bit it cured causing problems. Whatever the case is I've gotten some clamps and kicker to help with that.

I'll take some pictures and try to have a better description of what I'm worried about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Clones of the Republic -> Animated clones All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: