Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=252ccf0b3a2b8e89efcfa80599db8871Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

RFT: Helmet and Vest Questions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: RFT: Helmet and Vest Questions Reply with quote

Helmet:

Is it allowed, that the visor of the helmet is just black and opaque and not grey/transparent?

Vest:

Quote:
Large open pocket on the upper back of the vest with a center Velcro closure.

Does that mean, that there is just a small velcro strap sewn in the middle (as you can see on my attached picture)?

[/quote]
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vest looks correct. The large pocket goes from arm hole to arm hole and has the velcro sewed in place. It makes a definite pucker that is seen on screen. the top edge of the pocket starts at just above, or at, the middle of the arm hole.

on the helmet SC makes a helmet that has a grey smoked visor, most people buy helmets that dont have a clear visor and they paint it gloss black.

also check out TKvanB's excellent topic. I plan to make mine from heavy black cotton, and will use her how-to when I do it vs buying online and HOPING it fits.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54653
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyvm for the infos.

In germany, we have someone building the helmets with a black visor. Thats why i was asking. :-)

This is the helmet:

Are there infos, too about the size of the large pocket on the backsite of the vest? The width is clear. But what about the height? :-)

And if you could tell me the size (width and height) of the belt buckle, this would be awesome, too.

Btw, on a screencap i saw, that the belt has a snap like the belt of the imperial officers, too.

But i think this snap is not mentioned in crl, is it?

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
Your vest looks correct. The large pocket goes from arm hole to arm hole and has the velcro sewed in place. It makes a definite pucker that is seen on screen. the top edge of the pocket starts at just above, or at, the middle of the arm hole.

on the helmet SC makes a helmet that has a grey smoked visor, most people buy helmets that dont have a clear visor and they paint it gloss black.

also check out TKvanB's excellent topic. I plan to make mine from heavy black cotton, and will use her how-to when I do it vs buying online and HOPING it fits.

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54653
[img][/img]
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Holster, i would use my imperial officer Holster.

I dont think that the dh 17 will fit into it. But i also think, that it didnt fit into the holster in the movie, too.

Would this be ok?

i think it has the same size:

Here a screenshot of 2 Holsters:

Then, i will use my imperial officer belt boxes. I think they are identical to the rebel fleet trooper boxes:

For the vest i will use this:

I just want to alter the 2 top pockets. One smaller and one bigger.

How does the big pocket has to look like?

Is this style ok?

How do the 4 back pockets look like?

Type A or type B?

For the shirt, i will use this:

And how to handle the end of the sleeves. Should i just cut them of or just remove the button and sew them together?

For the Pants, i want to use these:

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front pockets look like the one you posted on the right, and a small pocket on the left. The bottom pockets are generally OK but not perfectly the same as the movie pockets.

the back row of pockets are a strip of fabric, not individual pockets. On the back large pocket, just make it match screen references.

your belt and holster should be the same color, ie the same shade of reddish brown. Pay attention to your dye color if you get the belt and holster seperaely.

From the Standard:

Belt width should be 1 3/4 to 2″ wide in canyon or range tan colour 2″ buckle can be rectangular, octagonal or oval

Also, the Standard gives the size for the lower pockets on the back, but not he large pocket. It needs to be proportional. One of the sleeves should do nicely for the pocket.

4. Large open pocket on the upper back of the vest with a center Velcro closure. Proportional to wearer and should go almost from armhole to armhole 5. Strip of 4 pockets along the bottom hem of the vest approx. 5″ tall
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyvm. :-)

You wrote, that the Front pockets look like the right one. But i guess you just mean That the big pocket looks like this not all 4, do you?

And one last question: what to do with the sleeves of The shirt?
They are closed with a button as you can see. In the movie it is not.

G'nott sH'urr wrote:
The front pockets look like the one you posted on the right, and a small pocket on the left. The bottom pockets are generally OK but not perfectly the same as the movie pockets.

the back row of pockets are a strip of fabric, not individual pockets. On the back large pocket, just make it match screen references.

your belt and holster should be the same color, ie the same shade of reddish brown. Pay attention to your dye color if you get the belt and holster seperaely.

From the Standard:

Belt width should be 1 3/4 to 2″ wide in canyon or range tan colour 2″ buckle can be rectangular, octagonal or oval

Also, the Standard gives the size for the lower pockets on the back, but not he large pocket. It needs to be proportional. One of the sleeves should do nicely for the pocket.

4. Large open pocket on the upper back of the vest with a center Velcro closure. Proportional to wearer and should go almost from armhole to armhole 5. Strip of 4 pockets along the bottom hem of the vest approx. 5″ tall
Obey Wann (William Blackburn)
Active Legion Member

Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifai wrote:
Tyvm. :-)

And one last question: what to do with the sleeves of The shirt?
They are closed with a button as you can see. In the movie it is not.

I am not a current costume judge. But here is what I see in the Costume standard, and how I interpret it:

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/rebel-fleet-trooper-a-new-hope/

Quote:
2. Long-sleeve blue work shirt with bib in front (blue Chambray or blue Oxford recommended
Bib should cover front of shirt with no gaps at the bottom).
Shirt bib should come all the way up to the collar button and not sag.
No button down collars (with visible button holes on collar).
Colour range from a light blue to medium blue (costume can be denied if shirt colour is deemed too dark blue).

The standard does NOT specify anything about the sleeves.

When I was a judge, I approved them with the sleeve buttons. I left them on when I built my RFT.

I believe the updated info regarding the sleeve ends is relatively new (ish).

Therefore, IMHO, it would be acceptable to keep the buttons as-is.

However, just like with your other comments about the vest.... and with the feedback and back-and-forth I see there, you would be perfectly acceptable if you went the extra mile and built your shirt with no button.

If you're good at sewing, or have a good seamstress, go the extra mile!

(or wait just a bit longer for more reference images to come out from R1, and go to town with all of the details, and be the poster child for a Rogue One RFT.)

Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. Tyvm. :-)

That helps me alot.

I think i can start now. :-)

Btw, i will do the ANH. Because first of all, ANH rocks and second, i would need to wait several months more for R1.
501st: Tusken, Staff & Warrant Officer, Bridge, Scanning & Mechanical Crew, Gunner, TK Stunt & Hero, TIE Pilot & Reserve, Navy Trooper (Normal & Dress), Greedo, Boba Fett, Ponda Baba, AT-ST, Kithaba, Royal Guard, Shoretrooper
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saifai wrote:
Alright. Tyvm. :-)

Btw, i will do the ANH. Because first of all, ANH rocks and second, i would need to wait several months more for R1.

No problem. The ANH RFT was my first costume, back in 2002. I got it ready for the AOTC premiere.

It wouldn't be approved today (especially the blaster), but it was back then. Smile

http://studiocreations.com/howto/rebelfleettrooper/main.html

Note the tan pants and home made blaster.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/988516_423536474493626_3219538312536257963_n.jpg?oh=21500fd00366e0df3305bdfa78619533&oe=5871B666

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11110217_423533834493890_196238691604795276_n.jpg?oh=ed335755e895c6255744f3fa7887100f&oe=5876CD65

It is amazing how much capabilities, standards, technology and capabilities have improved since then. And how much better the community is off.

But we had to start somewhere.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, looking at your completed costumes, I see that we have done many of the same kits. We have the same bug for the build.

Cool

I'm more of a Tier 1 builder, but I love that people like to do above and beyond. Either way, good luck with your build and post up while you're working on it.

I love a good WIP thread. Mr. Green

Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obey Wann wrote:
And, looking at your completed costumes, I see that we have done many of the same kits. We have the same bug for the build.

Cool

I'm more of a Tier 1 builder, but I love that people like to do above and beyond. Either way, good luck with your build and post up while you're working on it.

I love a good WIP thread. Mr. Green

Hehe cool. Yes, most of my costumes are based on Tier 1, too. E.g. while my TK is Centurion, my Boba is just Tier 1. But i would just miss a correct harness for the jetpack and horse hairs for the wookie braids :-))

And e.g. for the Scanning Crew, you cant make a lot "wrong" not to get Tier 2 or 3. :-)

Btw. i totally forgot to add my last costume: Kithaba (working on the RL right now).

Ty again for the infos and i will keep this thread updated. :-)
501st: Tusken, Staff & Warrant Officer, Bridge, Scanning & Mechanical Crew, Gunner, TK Stunt & Hero, TIE Pilot & Reserve, Navy Trooper (Normal & Dress), Greedo, Boba Fett, Ponda Baba, AT-ST, Kithaba, Royal Guard, Shoretrooper
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

going back to the earlier question on visors, we have approved a few of the smoked SC visor-ed helmets. I ordered one and it should be here in a week or two. I will use it for my R1 trooper build.

I had a good Email conversion with Jeff at SC, and he studied the original props at length, and sent me quite a few HD grabs he had made where you can see the helmet under the visor, as well as see through the visor to the background. To this day I still check the SC website because of how much reference and research they put into their costume creation.
Toda ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a SC smoked-colored visor on my helmet and love it!

Also, if the sleeves are long enough, all you have to do is sew them shut, tuck them in and then sew them there. It is pretty simple to "get rid" of the cuffs. BTY, if you look at the on RFT seen in the original R1 trailer, the sleeves look different than the ANH RFT, or maybe I'm seeing things...

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty for the feedback so far. :-)

Is the colour of this shirt ok?

Saifai ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And is this vest good enough for basic approval?

I want to keep the pockets. Just remove the sleeves and colar.

Later i want to make a new vest with correct pockets.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> A New Hope All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: