Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f356bd0ca6d4c6c4be3abd9344adac92Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Meadow Picnic Gown - WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlameMelody ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Meadow Picnic Gown - WIP Reply with quote

Hello everyone!
I am a new member of the forum and I am currently working on my first costume I would like to submit for Rebel Legion's approval.
Meadow Gown of Padme has been my cosplay dream for a long time so I am happy to show you some photos of my work. I have been working on this gown for about 1,5 month.

The Corset

I am doing embroidery now and it's getting really close to finish! Yay. The fabric I'm using for this is yellow crinkled silk. I guess I'll have to remade some of the elements because my eye disorder is making my cosplay life complicated again :< (yay for the astigmatism)

The Shawl/Cape

I'm a perfectionist so I was really sad that I couldn't find any rose fabric that would be screen accurate enough for me. I thought about ordering a rose curtain from aliexpress but I wasn't sure if it would arrive in time so instead I bought some yellow organza, made a pattern and started hand-embroidery. No, I am not insane, I swear. But embroidering hundreds of little roses can be exhausting and I have like 25 left.

This is how the shawl looks like now:

And the close-up of the embroidery:

The skirt

For the skirt I am using 4 metres of yellow lining and 4 metres of yellow chiffon. For a normal skirt I would use about 2-2,5 but using 4 gives it the proper volume. I started embroidery and I'm using 5-petaled flower sequins because I couldn't find any other flower sequins in my hometown.

The fabrics I am using are actually more yellow, my phone camera just isn't the best at capturing it. But as would Anakin say, "He's trying".
I have a headband and bun covers done, too.

Yesterday I've decided to try it all on myself and take photo and here is the result:

I'd be really grateful for any opinions and advices it really helps! Maybe there's something what need fixing and I can't see it Smile
[/img]
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great start. Smile

I think your green might be a bit too bright and light, but I'd like to get some more input on that.

And I'm sorry, but the four petals are currently required, so if you can't find them, you'll have to do what others have done; make them.

http://newsite.rebellegion.com/padme-amidala-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-picnic-gown/

Good luck with your costume. It's a lovely one.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good. For the 4 petal flower sequins, you could make them as Lora mentioned or check out ebay.

This obviously isn't the right color, etc but gives me hope that you may find some if you search: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-French-Sequins-4-Petal-Flowers-Turquoise-4mm-/321719050947?hash=item4ae7f322c3:g:EGUAAOSwrklVJLKo[url]
FlameMelody ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lora Skywalker and Rebel Senator for advices, it means a lot Very Happy

I've been running through many craft stores in my hometown and I think I have an idea of how to make the sequins... I couldn't find any 4-petal puncher so I bought 6-petal one... when I got home I made some paper test and this is how the concept looks like:

I cut off two petals. I personally like the sharper one better haha
Making them out off metallic craft paper is going to take me ages but I believe it'll be worth it since my best friend agreed to help me.
If I could order them I would, but unfortunately shipping from US to Poland would cost me like 100 times more than 1 "piece" of sequins. And I'm going to need a lot Sad

Also Lora, I'll get some good quality photos of green elements of corset embroidery before I finish it so I'll be 100% sure if the shade is correct Very Happy
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sharper one too but do you think craft paper will hold up to normal wear and tear?
General Princess (Jordan West)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
I like the sharper one too but do you think craft paper will hold up to normal wear and tear?

Sealing them with something like Mod Podge or a spray sealant might help them last better.

FlameMelody, you could ask around to see if anyone you know and/or your local library has a laser cutter. That could save you a lot of time and could probably handle a heavier paper stock.

(I don't know this costume, so feel free to ignore me if there's some reason that wouldn't work. Leia Buns)
FlameMelody ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The craft paper is doing great - it's a bit hard to cut and it doesn't tear when I'm adding the sequins to the skirt - so I think I have one thing fixed for now haha
I also myself made a new pattern so they are screen-accurate and small enough
I'd upload some pictures BUT I'm currently in Zakopane because of Polish-Croatian exchange. But I'll tell my mother to take some pictures and she'll just send them to me so I can upload them here.
I bought 3 colours of ribbons, stiffening for the corset and I've started working on the blouse! Yay! It's getting closer and closer to finish Smile
FlameMelody ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so... long time no see?
Costume is finished! I have actually finished it like 2 months ago and even took part in the cosplay competition but oh well, that's not the thing right?

Here I am, with my finished Meadow Gown. I'm so proud of myself!

Also, I have a wig, because my natural hair is well, ginger. Smile

What do you think? Is it screen accurate enough to submit it for RL?
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impression is good. Smile I can't prejudge, but take your photos and send them in.

maker2333 ()

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: I'm making Picnic Gown Reply with quote

i m making Picnic Gown

this flower is my embroidery works.
it is handwork .
it is Very fine handmade embroidery.
the fabric is very special

this snoods is my handwork too
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a good start. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: