Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=d2a3552f515795e5234c941b0cefea9dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme Lake Dress need judges opinions for submission plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Padme Lake Dress need judges opinions for submission plz Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am currently working on the Lake dress for my next submission and would like to get some input on what I currently have. Keep in mind some of this is still a WIP. Before putting in more time (and money), I would like to see what changes, if any, need to be made on it.

The armbands will be redone with MoP adhesive but since it was my first attempt, I just used paint on the aluminum.

Other than that, do they look ok?

The necklace was my first attempt working with aluminum flashing and I know the dimensions are off a bit so will be remaking it as well but is this a step in the right direction? Does it need to be bigger/smaller? Sharper, more defined edges?

Also, is the front decoration all right as far as ribbons? In some lake gowns I have seen approved, the ribbons are very small and hard to see and in others, bigger, like mine.

Side view of the dress.

Back view.

[/img]

I had made the decoration for the back of the dress but hadn't attached it when this photo was taken. Is the general construction all right though?

Also just a bigger front view of the gown. The yellow ribbons on the side have yet to be sewn to the bodice but any other changes needed?

Thank you in advance for any help/suggestions on this! Smile

[/img]
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see in your photos, you look pretty good. One piece you'll need is a satin strip down the center front. You'll also need some more of those bead/flower pendants on the back of the dress, with strings of beads rather than ribbons.

That's just a first glance, but feel free to share more detail photos as you work on it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
From what I can see in your photos, you look pretty good. One piece you'll need is a satin strip down the center front. You'll also need some more of those bead/flower pendants on the back of the dress, with strings of beads rather than ribbons.

That's just a first glance, but feel free to share more detail photos as you work on it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this.

Thank you! I noticed the ribbon detailing myself after we constructed the neck area but luckily it is an easy fix. Smile
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on a great costume build. It looks lovely. Keep us posted on your submission.
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and finished the preliminary back beading/ornament. However, I am still confused. In a previous post above, beads are mentioned etc. I cannot find a good photo of her dress to see the actual design. I did however look at Ferd's tutorial on the Padawan's Guide and followed what was done there to get what I currently have. Will this not meet standards?

Its a little hard to see in the photo but it is individual strands of ribbon etc attached to an aluminum sheet in the design of her brooch.

Also, are the armbands fine? Obviously I need to re-do them in the mother of pearl but as far as design, are they approvable ie; size wise/gold color?
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Updated Progress on Accessories for dress Reply with quote

I worked on the beading for the front of the dress as well as the headbands. Will this be all right? The description of the beads says "ivory pearl and iridescent crystal seed beads." I strung the pearls but they are a bit more white than ivory. The seed beads I used are labeled as iridescent crystal so I am not worried about them. Are the pearls I used approvable?

Also, when I sewed the mother of pearl medallions to the ribbon for the front dress tie, you can't see them as they are hidden under the flowers. They are there. Just hard to see. Will that also be approved since you can see they are attached, just not really visible?

Lastly, I purchased shells to sew in between the beading on the headbands. After those are attached, will the bands be approvable with the correct hairstyle?

TIA!

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your flower medallions look great!

You're almost there with the headbands. The shape and size of those looks much better. The beading should be more spread out, though, rather in clusters of three.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:
Your flower medallions look great!

You're almost there with the headbands. The shape and size of those looks much better. The beading should be more spread out, though, rather in clusters of three.

Thanks! In general, if I just spread out the beads, will that be enough or are the type of beads going to be critiqued? Since I have to change it anyway, I'd rather know now before I put in the additional work.

I was looking at some approved Padme's for this outfit and there are several who have just a silver neckplate with no discernible mother of pearl pattern. Is that acceptable or does it really need to have the design to it? If so, can I just use MoP paint to achieve the look required?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you spread your beads around more, that should be just fine.

What we look for on the neck plate is a pearly white painted section or mother-of-pearl painted on sections. Of course, we prefer the mother-of-pearl, but if you can make it look neat with a pearly white paint, that works too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: