Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2e0a84dd7a044c467c6639bcd859e7baMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Research phase: Slave Leia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Research phase: Slave Leia Reply with quote

Hello folks!

I'm in the research phase of a super-top-secret-I-hope-nobody-from-my-garrison-sees-this-thread-since-I-want-to-surprise-all-of-them Slave Leia build, and right now I'm debating my options for a kit. I've been told very good things about Jamin, and have sent him a FB message asking for details (mostly along the lines of 'Will this fit someone a bit larger/curvier than Carrie Fisher was back in the day?' and 'how much does this thing cost?'), but I'm also eyeballing leiastrooper.com. And then I'm also considering the option of a worbla scratch-build (which would necessitate getting at least one garrison mate in on the secret since I've never worked with worbla before!).

Fellow Slave Leias or other knowledgeable people: Would it be more accurate/cheaper to build the kit myself and hope for the best, or go with one of the professional kit makers (because I'm racking up $500 or so on LT, and that's before converting to Canadian currency!)? And either way, are there any tips or tutorials you can offer a slightly chubby slave-in-the-making? Very Happy

Thanks!

SL/DZ/ID 37912, Badlands Garrison
Badlands Public Relations Deputy, 2019-

"If that thing eats us, you're fired."

"Vacation. I just love the sound of the word. Vaaay-caaay-shun."
Femakin (Andrea Darling)
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, any thoughts on my hair options? My hair, while long (shoulder-length, and thick enough for two people...), isn't going to be long enough for Leia, so I'll need to supplement it, and I don't really want to go with a full wig if not necessary.

Option One: A combination of long extensions clipped to the bottom of my natural hair at the base of my neck and a pre-made bun. Except from the writing, I'm not sure if the bun can be attached to my own hair... plus it's out of stock in the colour I need so I'd have to wait (longer). >.>

Option Two: Two of these (which apparently aren't available in the Canadian store. Grrr!), one to be wrapped around as the bun and the other as the long braid. The downside with this one involves international shipping costs, and I'm not sure that the top braid will be too long to use for the bun.

Option Three: Using extensions/wefts to boost my own hair in a bun and the jumbo braid as is?

Option Four: Acquire one of the Leia wigs from Arda, or any other long-haired wig, and style it as needed.

Thoughts?

SL/DZ/ID 37912, Badlands Garrison
Badlands Public Relations Deputy, 2019-

"If that thing eats us, you're fired."

"Vacation. I just love the sound of the word. Vaaay-caaay-shun."
GearsMcT ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife needed two Arda wigs, one of the bun and one for the pony tail.

As to scratch-building, if you have the skills, materials, tools and research time, go for it! On finishing her own to mods to her suit, my wife thinks she'd like to scratch build her own at some point but knows she could not have done it without going thru the process that she did to modify her Leia's Trooper suit first. We have the materials, tools and skill, but did not have the time at the time. Also, having the LT suit in hand really shows what's involved and required.

In the end with boots, wigs and misc materials, her suit went to USD$600+. The vibroaxe I made sent the total suit cost to shy of $1k we estimate.
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Jamin's is the most accurate, but Leiastrooper's works fine, too. Scratch building is always fun (imo), but it takes time and the willingness to fail a lot before success.

Regarding the hair, if your own is very thick it's possible it can be used for the bun with the braided extension down your back as the base for extra volume.
Do your own hair in a high ponytail. Wrap braided extension around bottom of ponytail, under your own hair. Loosely twist your own hair into the bun over the end of the extension.

If that is not enough you can add another extension to make the bun larger and use your own hair as the base for all of the extensions.

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad another Slave Leia will be joining our Slave Leia sisterhood!! Very Happy

Jamin actually makes larger skirt plates and bras-his standard plates are about 9.5 inches, while his curvy plates are 11 inches I believe! Also, Dragonfyre Designs kits have very large parts and great for curvy ladies. Before my weight loss, I used the Dragonfyre Designs kit. The plates on the Dragonfyre Designs kit are around 11.5 inches wide and the bras fit D to DD.

I completely agree with Lora on the hair- I pull back my natural hair into a ponytail, then tie my braid piece around it. For my bun, I wrap my natural hair into twisted pieces around a fake bun piece that has a built in comb for easy attachment to your hair. Here's a good example of what these bun pieces look like:
http://www.mydivascloset.com/labrhabunhap.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=74868550061&gclid=CjwKEAjw5vu8BRC8rIGNrqbPuSESJADG8RV0TQhfdhefdVTg2KLYjqm7dWdSyIllRFM9fzzm3Tsu3hoCYKXw_wcB
Nomad Angie (Angie Rivera)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide to go with the LT kit, there is a cheaper option if you purchase the kit unpainted. Unfortunately it will not come with the boot tops and you can get them separately, unpainted as well. Most kit makers cater to curvy ladies (especially Jamin and Tomak (LT). But if you have the time, funds, skills and patience to make your own kit, I will say go for it.

I might be wrong about this, but I believe Dragonfyre Designs does the kit in very limited runs, unlike Jamin and Tomak who build kits year-round.

For the hair: You can either use additional hair extensions and a hair bun, or you can use this hair bun with hair combs covering your hair that will be already put up in a bun. I found it at a wig shop and it's the best thing ever:

http://www.shophairwigs.com/freetress-bun-braid-cupcake-1273.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWAgyCqp9pH9L_UdbHTw24-V8tcbsvqpGJKXuCmNe5zkQaAlA28P8HAQ
Base Membership Officer 2017
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: